Thread: Triumph TR4 tackles the Alcan 5000

Triumph TR4 tackles the Alcan 5000

Hi All!

Although I haven't been around Ontario rallying for a couple of years, some of you may remember my 1961 TR4 that I like to chuck down the gravel roads on rallies. Photo below, for the current look!

Well, I haven't been ignoring rallying, I've been planning. And next month my girlfriend Jan and I will be heading off on a 9-day, 4,500 mile (yes, mile) rally from Seattle to Anchorage by way of BC and the Yukon. The event is the Alcan 5000 rally (www.Alcan5000.com) and it will be a BIG drive and, hopefully, a lot of fun - especially for Jan as it will be her first rally ever...! We'll be competing in the Vintage class (shock!) and will, as usual, be using mainly age-appropriate tools: wind-up MIG fighter clock; wind up stopwatch; simple, distance-only odometer (digital, but basic) and a book of speed tables. We also hoping to raise some money to support the Toronto charity "Road Hockey to Conquer Cancer" which I will also be taking part in later in September.

If anyone is interested in following our progress, we have a Facebook page "Jan & Tim's Excellent Adventure" here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jan-T...27215100810020 We've had some coverage in the local Beaches newspaper (here: http://www.beachmetro.com/2014/05/13...s-ready-rally/ ) and are hoping to have an article in the Toronto Star Saturday "Wheels" section before the event. You could even sponsor us!

Cheers!!
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm so glad to see this materializing for you, Tim! And Jan must be a little nuts to avoid every SNATR just to have a completely virgin experience on a 4500 mile rally! Sounds like a good way to increase the fun factor!

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Thanks Steve. And yes, she's a little nuts...

Awesome! I hope you both have a great time. Thanks for sharing the FB page to follow your progress.

Thanks, Trevor. We hope to provide an update at the end of every day on the FB page (as well as all our random musings on the build-up so far!). The plan is to post photos, a report on the route and competition from each day and, if we have them, interim results.

Of course, that all presumes that we make it past day 1 ;-)

Well, hopefully the biggest problem towards daily updates will just be your remote connectivity.

Speaking of which, shouldn't you be sending your updates by telegraph or carrier pidgeon to maintain your period appropriate restriction? ;-)

Ha! Good thought, Trevor. Telegram at the end of each day!

My wife and I are entered as well, but on 2 wheels not 4. But since we drive Subis I can still post here. We'll both be on separate Bimmer 800 GS's and we'll have a tow rope if you need it! Just kidding. See you in Kirkland, WA in a few more sleeps.