PDA

View Full Version : Site language choices.

DonS
03-04-2004, 02:35 PM
I'd like to solicit comments on a possible "mod" to the website. I can add language selection. The mod won't translate the content but does two things for us:

. Navigation and certain functions are language specific and makes getting to the content easier if the selected language is easier for the user.
. Content *can* be language specific if the user enters alternate translations and uses the codes I would configure i.e. Hi guys Hola chicos. The content matching the selected language will be presented.

This mod is pretty major so I don't want to do it if it doesn't enhance the site. We are still predominately Anglo-phone but that doesn't prevent us from doing other languages.

I would also need help from users to translate some portions that I don't already have. To start I'd need translations of the main menu headings besides "Home". Important content like instructions will need translation.

So if you think this would be good I'll consider jumping into the byte garage..

The languages that I have installed and the basics for are:
English, French, Russian, and Spanish. I can also grab:
Dutch, Japanese (ECU), Italian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Swedish.

You can vote for your choices (multiple choice) in the poll:

language poll (http://spda-online.ca/modules/xoopspoll/index.php?poll_id=7)

03-04-2004, 04:46 PM
This sounds kinda cool - sort of like a learning project (as I'm sure you are approaching it as)

It will likely have little practical value for the site - that is, until the SPDA world domination plan kicks in - oops, did I say that out loud :)

By the way, did you notice how the Polls allow you to vote more than once?

SonnyD
03-04-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm helping with the language testing and think we have to drop Traditional Chinese (tw). It is nearly the same as Simplified Chinese (zh-CN) but designed to be the default language.

I'll count all tw and zh-CN as a vote for zh-CN Simplified Chinese.

thank you.

For fun I'll place a tag here which will become translated if we install the mod. The language tags that are not in the selected lang will disappear once the mod is installed.

English: Hello Mr Beavis and Mr Butthead

Hello Mr Beavis and Mr Butthead
¡Hola! Sr. Beavis y Sr. Butthead
Привет г. Бивис и г. Баттхэд
Bonjour M. Beavis et M. Butthead
[zh-CN]你好Beavis 先生和Butthead 先生[/zh-CN]

Now, If you can correct or add to this it will help.

SonnyD
03-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Eddy wrote:
By the way, did you notice how the Polls allow you to vote more than once?
Are you sure? I couldn't vote twice...

03-04-2004, 06:26 PM
My mistake. It does actually allow you to submit another vote but then tells you that it is not accepted.

It also showed this on the results page which was a tad confusing:
Total Votes: 7
Total Voters: 5

DonS
03-04-2004, 06:45 PM
You are allowed to make multiple choices (in this poll), but only one time.

If I voted for French and Spanish
2 votes, 1 voter

:-) entiendes? :-)