PDA

View Full Version : Site Updates... Potential disruptions to service

JoeT
02-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi All,

DonS is currintly migrating our site to it's new home. This will give us bigger bandwidth and almost unlimited storage space. During this time there maybe disruptions in service.

Here's the plan:
1) Move site to bigger and better home
2) Update this site to more recent software versions, with lots more options and flexability

Thanks for reading.

DonS
02-09-2005, 11:30 AM
We're on the new server now. The basic move went fine with the most trouble coming from the photo albums. That took all night and half a day to get right. A change in the base directory structure at the new server and the tight security made it tough to sync up 8000+ photos.

If you find any missing pics or broken images let me know.

The next step is to upgrade the forums. I'll have to close the site for the duration so I'll find another quiet time and big pot of coffee to do it. I'll let the site run for today in case there are any glitches to fix. I don't want to loose the old messages..

enjoy. 8-)

WSCC_Sue
02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the time that you put in Don! :bow: Most of us just take these internet forums for granted, without realizing how much maintenance goes into them.

Sue :-)

Roger
02-09-2005, 04:54 PM
yeah all my pictures are missing :)

Need a hand with anything ?

DonS
02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Do you have more than 2 ( from here (http://spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album28) )??

Pimpin Zinis:
http://spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album28/100_0090.sized.jpg

DonS
02-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah... I changed the photo page to not list all the albums off the front page. Not sure if I like it that way but it makes the first page much faster if it doesn't have to build the whole list.

enough complaints and I'll put it back to a full list...

JoeT
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Nice photo, nice number plate:

http://spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album76/IMG_6037.sized.jpg

DonS
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
hehe. I pestered Ivano for months to try some panning shots. I like them, not sure if he does now.

memories:

http://spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album76/IMG_6057.sized.jpg

Navigator
02-09-2005, 08:30 PM
I like the panning shots but I like the still ones as well. Expect both this year. :-)

JoeT
02-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi All,

Site updates are currently occuring, notice the new version of software, and a nicer look & feel.. We just have to get rid of that ugly WRX picture on the banner and put on a beautiful classy Legacy instead... LOL :-D

You'll be experiencing some login problems and potential white screens, in the meanwhile.

Sorry for the disruption, all will be back to normal soon.

Thankie.

Roger
02-18-2005, 07:54 PM
The phrase "classy legacy: is an oxymoron :-) That was a nice pic of a WRX that Don posted :-D

DonS
02-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Long live the mighty little WRX.... :-)

A few more things fixed after the move. The remember me should work again. The little issue with a double login if you come in with a www and then land on a non www URL should be fixed now too.

I added a language switcher in the header (the flags). This will change the main language files (mostly the navigation). It doesn't do translation but having the navigation in your chosen language should make things nicer.

Let me know if there are other quirks and glitches.

enjoy.

STeveD
02-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Hey Don, small buggy:

In a forum sub-menu, you hit the "Forum Options" and want to hit "Mark all Topics Read", it shows you the message for "All Forums marked as Read"... which isn't correct.

P.S.: Although the new version takes forever to load on dial-up from Mexico (don't know if that's the new server, or the 133 objects it had to find), I really like the functionality.

DonS
02-21-2005, 01:18 PM
That's an obscure one... I think you're talking about the brief message that shows during the redirect after a post. I'll track that one down eventually....

I changed the forum graphics from the preferred png to gif and that might make IE happier. "lowest common denominator"........

In the main forum screen you can collapse/expand the various categories which might speed things up if some categories aren't of interest.