PDA

View Full Version : Group buy of Engine Oil Analysis

STeveD
10-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Okay, a couple of us have new engines and are wondering about wear. Some of us have used Mobil 1 since day one and are now wondering that that was a good idea. ;-) Want to know if that K&N is actually filtering out airborne particles? Want to know if that Six Star filter the dealer puts on does the same job that the Black Japanese Subaru Turbo filter does?

There's two good options for oil analysis, though I'm open to others if you want to mention them. The close-by Canadian option is good if we buy in bulk.

Wearcheck is near the intersection of 403 and Dundas/Hwy 5 at the border between Mississauga and Oakville. If this is convenient to you, you can drop the sample off instead of mailing it.

Blackstone is located in the U.S. so there's more postage per sample, and they work in US Dollars.

Research on Wearcheck:

MOB I Basic wear and tear analysis with historical tracking (http://www.wearcheck.com/services/testkits.asp?industry=trucking&testkit=MOB1)

MOB 2 Analysis including TAN number for additives package analysis recommended for extended interval testing (http://www.wearcheck.com/services/testkits.asp?industry=trucking&testkit=MOB2)

Research on Blackstone:

Including sample report and TBN explanation (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do_i_need_a_tbn_.html)

Cost:

Wearcheck:
$29 + GST for individual MOB 1 test, or $39 + GST for individual MOB II test (including TAN)
$19 + GST for each MOB1 test, or $29 + GST for each MOB II test (including TAN)

Blackstone:
$22.50 for individual basic test, of $17 each for six
Add $10 to each test if you want TBN's

With the MOB II kits at Wearcheck you can ask them to specifically perform Fuel Dilution, Karl Fischer Moisture analysis or a Glycol test. They will do it automatically if preliminary screening shows the need, but you can ask for it anyway. MOB I, you don't get that unless it fails a preliminary test.

In the end, Blackstone is cheaper and for smaller quantities (six vs. 1 dozen), but postage is double, results take longer, and you're dealing the international transport of dangerous goods that is exempt from Regulated Goods laws. (Blech!)

So here's my angle... I want to check the new engine for unusual wear and keep track of my different engine oils. I'd like to use Wearcheck MOB II tests. If I can get at least six other sample jars out there, that would be nice.

Wearcheck MOB I sample test attached. They also have a second page where they graph the history of wear and viscosity.

I'll be doing my oil change this week, so please let me know if you want two sample jars.

STeveD
10-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Page 2 with the graphs.

dubya_rx
10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
I thought oil wasn't classified as dangerous goods. At least according to Blackstone.

Anyway...

STeveD
10-29-2007, 09:47 PM
It is actually Transport Canada that decides what IS or ISN'T dangerous or regulated goods. Canada Post can have their own regulations as well.

Transport Canada says that motor oil IS regulated, but that "samples in transport for testing are exempt under part 1.19" The samples must be marked "Test Samples" and the package must include a a sheet with the consigner's name, address and phone #.

I didn't call the USPS to or DOT to check their labelling requirements.

Simple Oil Analysis explanation: http://www.wearcheck.com/literature/techdoc/WZA019.pdf

I really find the part about additive INCREASE and viscosity INCREASE interesting!

Their library:

http://www.wearcheck.com/literature/documents.asp?DocType=techdoc

If it helps the financial appeal, we can purchase them as MOB-I tests, and contact them if we need to upgrade it to MOB-II for additional analysis for $10 more.

STeveD
12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
FYI for people with new engines... seems like you can't change oil and filter often enough. :-o

Talking with their analyst Barry, he says these numbers aren't extraordinary for a new race engine, but it will be best to keep an eye on it. As long as the wear trends lower, all is good. It looks like my engine was still breaking in after 1250km of dino oil.

Because I needed the engine for competition on short notice, the cylinders were honed with a pattern that should seat the rings in 100km.

Oil change history:

- Fourstar fills engine with discount filter and discount 20W50 oil. Runs for 5 minutes.
- Fourstar changes oil / filter. Brief test drive.
- Fourstar changes oil / filter to Castrol GTX 20W50 and Subaru black Turbo Filter that I provided. I put 50km light street driving on it.
- I change oil / filter to Castrol GTX 20W50 and Subaru black Turbo Filter. I put 170km more on it.
- I change oil / filter again with Castrol GTX 20W50 and Subaru black Turbo Filter at 1000km. Car gets dyno tuned. I put another 250km on it.
- I change oil / filter to Motul 300V 15W50 and Subaru black Turbo Filter. That stayed in through four Solosprints, two track days, and street kilometers. ~ 5300km in total.

So it looks like I probably should have changed it one more time at about 2500 to 3000km on the engine. Yoshio's 3000km break-ins on dino oil are sounding like a good idea, with oil changes every 1000km or so... Ah well... live and learn. :-)

Observations: Fuel dilution of 2% is not unusual for a race motor with large clearances. 0.0045" between piston and cylinder can let unburnt fuel by the rings when cold, but are necessary for 30psi boost. The visosity test shows that the oil was still lubricating adequately. Lots of molybdenum in there!! Could be that the 300V has tons of it in there compared to the Amsoil 20W50 used in the previous test. (But could be some moly coming off the piston skirt coating.) TAN (acids showing excess use of oil before change) are acceptable at 3.58, but having a base number on the virgin oil would be better.

STeveD
12-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Graphing page.

STeveD
07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Okay, so I couldn't wait. I have more analysis to do. :-) So I have a bunch of MOB 1 Wearcheck kits that I can let go for $25 each. This does NOT include TAN or TBN, but you can add that test and pay $10 + tax if you are doing an extended drain interval analysis. If you're just checking the health of your competition or street motor, TAN / TBN is wasted money.

Oil analysis is very important for people who've bought used engines, who've spent $$$ on built racing motors and want to verify the assembly / break-in procedure, who are using extended drain intervals, or as a general maintenance procedure for street driven cars every couple of years.

Extended drain intervals: Add the TAN or TBN test.

P.S.: Wearcheck moved to North Burlington just North of the QEW at the Appleby exit, on the east side. 1175 Appleby Line.

tashko
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I'll take one of those Stephen. I'm doing an oil change on Sat. How much do I need to save for the analysis?

STeveD
07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
About 200mL I'd guess?

... and treat it like a urine sample; take it mid-stream. ;-)

tashko
07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Haha, ya, no problem, mid-stream...I'll grab the shipping kit from you on Sunday?

STeveD
07-23-2009, 07:05 PM
I'll have it there with me. If you're going to be West-ish on Friday or Saturday I can give it to you then.

STeveD
07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey, they only charged me one tax, and shipping was a little less than I thought. $23 a kit.