PDA

View Full Version : SPDA Year End Celebration, Save the date!!

JoeT
11-04-2007, 10:13 PM
SPDA Year End Celebration 2007

2007 Has been a fantastic year of firsts, new winners, new competition, new members, new sponsors and new records. SPDA made it’s mark in many events this year and everyone needs to be proud of their accomplishments. Let’s all celebrate together at the closing event for 2007.

Save Sunday, November 18th at 6:00 – 9:00 on your calendars. You’re invited to attend the year end get together to share some good times with your fellow racers. For your entertainment, SPDA has a special guest attending. As a suspension engineer with real world race teams, Pete Mulvany will share a wealth of information on how to optimise your vehicle, regardless whether if it’s a Subaru, Honda, Ford or Ariel Atom.

Come join in the year end celebration of your successes.

In addition, we’ll be handing out the Talon Tire contingency prizes, ITR.Net Time Attack Sponsorships, and your Team SPDA execs will be delivering reports pertaining to this year along with the 2008 plans.

Normal pricing for engagements at Dave & Busters is $20.00 / Person. SPDA is subsidizing the cost of dinner and refreshments so you only have to fork out a minimum amount. RSVP Please.

Hwy 7 and 400, South East Corner
Time 6:00 – 9:00 PM
Price: $5.00 for members, $20.00 for non members. Guests / Spouses of members are welcome for the same price as a full member.

Please feel free to bring your spouses and enjoy the buffet dinner.

Special Guests:
Pete M– Suspension Engine (See bio Below)
Peter R – Hot Bits Suspension and Suspension guru too

Sponsors:
Talon Tire
Marino’s Auto
Bully Clutch
Toyo Tires
ITR.net
Proserve-IT

Agenda:
Year in Review: Reports from the execs
Talon Tire contingency Giveaway
ITR.Net Time Attack Contingency
Suspension Q&A
Buffet Dinner

RSVP Please on this thread -
Payment can be received through Paypal for $5.15 in advance or[/quote]

Additional Information:

Extra tokens on any midway cards purchased.
$12 card - 62 chips
$17 card - 96 chips
$22 card - 132 chips
games are usually 6 chips per play. For $2 more you can get 25% more chips.

The buffet is:
Tortilla Chips with cheese and fire-roasted salsa
Crispy pork potstickers served with Huli Huli sauce
Goldfingers served with chipotle-honey sauce
Bar burgers - mini cheeseburgers served on Hawaiian rolls with secret sauce
Assorted cheese with crackers
Unlimited tea, coffee, and pop

Pete M's racing Bio:

I was race engineer in UK National Formula Vee Championship in 1977, '78 and
'79. Podium in every race in 1979.

Then in BRDC Esso Formula Ford Championship 1980 and part of '81. Couple of
heat wins, 1 race win. Some Brazilian kid by the name of A. Senna da Silva
started winning everything after that... ;)

Engineered a Lancia HF Turbo in the 1985 Willhire 24 hour race. Only turbo
car to finish.

Team owner/engineer for 1988 and 1989 Ford P100 Challenge - began as "just
for fun" in 1988, won it in 1989.

Entry level stuff and a long tome ago, but great learning curve and amazing
fun.

STeveD
11-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I'll be there! If anyone has some suspension questions that you might want to ask the Petes at the event, feel free to send them to me or post them here. Photos with suspension dynamics are welcome for commentary.

DougPhillips
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Hope to be there, can't say for sure until the week before.

Will there be special parking for the Fbody cars? :-)

STeveD
11-05-2007, 12:46 PM
DougPhillips wrote:

Will there be special parking for the Fbody cars? :-)

Hmm. F-Body in mid-November. Isn't that special parking your winter storage garage? :-D

Just kidding of course. We'd be glad to see you out there!

Guillermo
11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I'll be there.
But my cousin's getting married the day before so we will be driving 5+ hours from Ohio on sunday to get to the SPDA year end meeting.

fuzzy
11-05-2007, 04:49 PM
I'll be there.

Suspension questions... I have some, will post later.

nitrowsb
11-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Fun and games...I'm there! Anna and the kids can come too! :-D

BryanCbt
11-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm definitely interested in seeing everyone! I have tons of questions too, this should be fun. :)

RyanB
11-05-2007, 07:26 PM
The wife and I would like to go.

SPEC_V
11-05-2007, 09:43 PM
My wife and I would like to go.

So make that 2 tickets please..

dubya_rx
11-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Add me and my wife. Thanks!!

STeveD
11-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Pete, Peter and Joe will be serving as a "panel" to answer your suspension questions. If you want a more thorough answer, be sure to forward it to me in advance so that the guys have some time to research if necessary.

Loopy
11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
+2 for my wifey and I. thx!

Fubawu
11-06-2007, 10:57 AM
My Wife and I are going to try and make it
John

DouglasM
11-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Count me in, too.

oldguy
11-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Wish that I could attend.

I desperately want to ask Pete M. how long
ALL the factory bushings last in a 2004 STi.

kwlsti
11-08-2007, 01:49 PM
+2 :-)

Daniel
11-08-2007, 04:59 PM
EDIT: I'll be there and Lis is a "most likely" at this point...

I think she's holding out for something better. LOL :-D

MikeV
11-08-2007, 10:35 PM
I'll be there.

Actually now my brother wants to go, so +1.

Sir-knight
11-10-2007, 12:14 PM
couple of maybes (me and the pope) so far from ottawa. I'll keep you posted over the week.

wrxR176
11-11-2007, 12:04 AM
I am in but just me cause i cant decide what girl to bring.

BryanCbt
11-11-2007, 10:11 PM
wrxR176 wrote:
I am in but just me cause i cant decide what girl to bring.

The more the merrier is what I always say. :)

tashko
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Please post here or PM me (if you want to keep it a secret) if you are thinking of attending. I need to confirm the approximate numbers.

Also, if anybody has any video or photos of themselves or other SPDA people in action, let me know. I'll be putting together some sort of A/V thing! :-D

Thanks for the great response so far!

Tashko.
SPDA Social Dictator..er, I mean Director!

AndrewR
11-12-2007, 01:03 PM
8-) me too 8-)

AlexeiS
11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I'll be there unless something comes up. I'll have to see later if Christine will come or not. Probably not 8-)

Roger
11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I'll be there - if the boss would let me. I am back in town on Friday and hafta work that weekend :(

I would be nice to see y'all again, its been a while

STeveD
11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
AndrewR wrote:
8-) me too 8-)

I have a choice... I can bring the wife... or I can have fun.

I opt for the latter.

Thank God my wife isn't interested in reading these forums.

wrxR176
11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
STeveD wrote:

Thank God my wife isn't interested in reading these forums.

No but we are interested in telling her LOL

nocturn
11-13-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm in!!

gOt_rally
11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Im in for 1 ticket :-D

WSCC_Sue
11-14-2007, 11:18 PM
LOL at SteveD. :-D ;-)

Sigh. Looks like an amazing meeting. Wish I could be there!

Have fun!

Luca
11-15-2007, 09:11 AM
COMING !!!!!!!

Inn-Tune
11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I didn't think I could go, but I may be able to make it now. If the weather is good and TMP is open I'll be dragging my car that day and then head over after. If I go I'd be with a friend. I will try to let you know whether we're coming or not ASAP. Sounds like a great event!

JoeT
11-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Inn-Tune wrote:
I didn't think I could go, but I may be able to make it now. If the weather is good and TMP is open I'll be dragging my car that day and then head over after. If I go I'd be with a friend. I will try to let you know whether we're coming or not ASAP. Sounds like a great event!

Cool, awsome.. Hope you can make it.

JoeT
11-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Tashko,

Please add to the list:

Me, "the Other Half", and my 2 little ones.

Also

GotRaLlY and GuEsT

Sir-knight
11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
looks like the pope and I are out, he's too busy and I've got way too much stuff to do around the house from being away the past 2 weekends.

Inn-Tune
11-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I bagged the track today after rolling on in 5th this morning and spinning so badly I nearly had a heart attack. I'm just heading up for the meet either by myself or +1.

Navigator
11-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Mike cant wait to hear this story in person. Also if anyone is interested in some rally and racing videos I will have my laptop. Bring something to put them on any they are yours.

Navigator
11-18-2007, 11:50 PM
It was nice to see everyone tonight. Thanks to Steve D for organizing the guest speakers (confirmed alot and dispelled some myths). Also a big thanks to Tashko for organizing this event, it worked out great, I look forward to the one in February ;-) .

RyanB
11-18-2007, 11:57 PM
I can't beleave I forgot about this. :-(

JoeT
11-19-2007, 12:01 AM
RyanB wrote:
I can't beleave I forgot about this. :-(

Hi All,

Thank you for attending the event this evening. It was great seeing some familiar faces as well as some new one. Looks like a fantastic year for 2008, the execs are working hard to provide even greater value for your membership dollars.

Stay tuned to the forums for the 2008 Kickoff event.

Ryan,

I think SteveD has some nice gift certificates for you.

Thank you

Guillermo
11-19-2007, 07:30 AM
I had a great time talking with fellow SPDA members, food was good, and the tech talk on suspensions was very informative and interesting.

dubya_rx
11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Damn. Had to leave before the technical presentations.

Still had a good time.

Any revelations from the technical talks? Are these guys active in any forums to ask more questions?

Thanks,
Walter

STeveD
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM
If you're not banned there, you can PM PeteM as GP9u on the TSC. I don't think that Pete is hanging out here that much YET, but we'll have to change that. :-D

Peter Reilly will talk your ear off anytime you like at his shop if you make an appointment with him. :-) Contact info available at www.hotbits.ca If you're keeping him late on a Saturday, he drinks Stella. ;-)

To really briefly summarize a few points:

- Try to shut off analysis while you're on a hot lap. If you're understeering in a certain corner, file it away in the back of your mind, but don't PROCESS the information until you're back in the pits. You have enough to do without thinking "maybe 2psi less in the rear through turn 3 there...or maybe changing the valving" while you approach the braking zone for turn 5.
- Don't make more than one change at a time to your suspension. e.g.: Changing to stiffer front and rear sway bars at the same time will likely just exponentially increase whatever handling problem you had in the first place.
- Sway bars adjust handling by reducing the inner contact patch on the end of the car it's installed on. ie: You reduce understeer by reducing rear inner tire grip with a stiffer rear sway bar.
- The bigger the sway bar, the more drastic the breakaway characteristics.
- Stiffer is not always better, especially when it comes to rebound valving.
- Benefits of monotube dampers over twin tube.
- Whatever coil over suspension you choose, make sure it is of a serviceable type so that you don't have to throw it away when your needs change.
- Certain brands of coilovers are sold as "packages" with their springs and have small valving effect ranges. These suspensions are more likely to need valving adjustment when changing spring rates.
- Shock length, not necessarily spring length. decides your ride height.
- The simplest to understand explanation of roll center, C of G and lever effects from lowering that I've ever seen.
- Benefits of a Roll Center Relocation Kit in improving dynamic suspension geometry.
- Benefits of Anti Lift Kits in improving suspension geometry (and their resultant sacrifice in increased dive)
- Multi Link roll center calculation method.

Those are a few discussion items off the top of my head.

Edit: Thanks to Pete for correcting my wording on the Inner Tire issue.

SPEC_V
11-19-2007, 04:03 PM
We had a great time

Unfortunately, our little decided no to co-operate
So we had to leave ..

Sorry we couldn't stay

PeteM
11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
STeveD wrote:
Edit: Thanks to Pete for correcting my wording on the Inner Tire issue.

You're welcome! And thanks for giving me access to the forum. Now you won't have to go to the TSC to find me. :-)

I wanted to thank you all for inviting me to your annual meeting and for being such a nice audience. I had a great time.

I am very much looking forward to seeing you all in action next season. If there's anything I can do to help with the thinking to make you go quicker I'll be happy to do it!

Pete.

tashko
11-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks to everybody that showed up last night. I hope y'all had a good time.

A big thanks to Pete and Peter for taking the time to give us some insight into suspension and the mental game. It's good to get our minds thinking some more during the off season! :bow:

At the beginning of the year we had Mike from Innovative Tuning and Herman from Cherry Turbos talk about engines and turbos so we have covered a couple of topics this year.

I would like us to have at least two technical get togethers during the year. Please feel free to PM me with topic suggestions. Just to get your minds working, we've had a suggestion for a discussion on street and race tires.

Also, feel free to PM me with comments, suggestions, or anything that you think we should think about for future events to make them better. (Like get a microphone when the midway gets too noisy) :oops:

oldguy
11-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Pete can help everyone develop their mental skills.

And I don't mean that 'Amazing Kreskin' $hit ;-) !

BryanCbt
11-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks Pete and Pete for letting us tap their brains for the evening. :)

I for one, definitely value the comment about data logging in your head. I know I'm always coming off the course and wondering what the heck did I just do.

A few points that I recall during the discussion:
- As a first mod, consider ALK over a thicker rear sway.
- Lower CG too much yields diminishing returns and needs to be carefully weighted against suspension geometry and drivability.
- finding multi-link RC only requires the top and bottom links.
- Trailing arm in multi-link widens track as it moves (widest point is when arm is parallel to ground?)

Bryan

STeveD
11-20-2007, 07:10 AM
With trying to find a lowering "limit" we talked a lot about geometry change, but didn't talk about how much remaining spring travel is required under heavy braking... No point in lowering your car until your coils are bound.

Personally , with the ubers this year, I made sure that my main spring on the front could absorb at least 100% more than the normal corner weight after the helper compressed. So after the helper absorbed 100kg of the 425kg front corner weight, that left 325kg for the main spring to absorb. At 10kg/mm that meant that 33mm of the 104mm spring travel was just static laden weight. That left 72mm of remaining travel. (Actually with the 26mm front bump stop, it was only 54mm to be technical, since the bump stops was trimmed to reach full compression 5mm before the spring does.) So, 540kg of dynamic compression before the bump stop is even touched.

I'm not 100% sure my math is right there, so feel free to comment.

So... I can hit the bump stops with heavy heaves on the 401 (only three clicks from full soft of compression valving for comfort) but I have yet to bottom out the suspension on the track once the compression valving is higher.

Pete, Rob, have you heard any data on how much dynamic weight transfer we have to be ready for? That chap at Turner Motorsports that I talked to (I forget his name) seemed to think I'd be more than fine with the 8kg spring, but the ubers could overwhelm the 7kg's last year...

I didn't think that Sue would be working my old struts so hard this year on just RA-1's!!

Inn-Tune
11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Tashko for a great meet. I'd say it ran very smoothly, the room was nice, the food was tasty, etc. Thanks Pete and Pete for a great talk.

In case anyone was wondering I'm not planning on slamming my car. :) We put my DMS 50's on at rally height for tire clearance. I was just wondering about how far I am from optimal road race ride height.

STeveD
11-23-2007, 04:57 PM
As Joe mentioned, I have some Talon Tire Rebate Coupons (valid until April 1, 2008) for various members. Some were earned through competition in ASN FIA SANCTIONED provincial / National series. (that's the darned word that I was searching for at the meet, gosh darn it!: SANCTIONED) You received $50 if you ran the minimum # of events in your series and competed with a SPDA affiliation. This was open to Ottawa and Toronto members. We're still waiting for the results of the ORRC to finalize a couple of coupons.

... But we also sympathized with the folks who live a ways away and couldn't make it to the meet, so we held a draw for 5 coupons (1 x $50, 2 x $75, 2 x $200) and we made all but one of the $200 coupons available to anyone with a paid 2007 or 2008 membership; you didn't have to be in attendance. The winners were:

$50: Bradley G (Simcoe)
$75: Tom S (Huntsville)
$75: Chris B (Caledon)
$200: Jeff B (Aurora)

And I have the following earned coupons for people who couldn't make the meet:

Rhys H (Guelph): 2 x $50, 1 x $100 (Autoslalom Top 10 finish overall, Min # of Events, Class win in a competive class)
Steven P (Ottawa): 3 x $50 (Min # of Autoslalom events, Min # of Solosprint events, 5th place Solosprint Novice)
Ben W (Scarborough): 1x $50 (Min # of Autoslalom events)
Tom S (Huntsville): 2 x $50 (Min # of Autoslalom events, 1st in an underfilled class)
Allen W (Toronto): 1 x $50 (Min # of Autoslalom events)
Nathan H (Guelph): 2 x $50 ( Min # of Autoslalom and ORRC events)
Micah H (Guelph): 1 x $50 (Min # of ORRC events)
Jeff B (Aurora): 2 x $50 (MIn # of Solosprint events, 9th place Solosprint Novice)
Norman H (Toronto): 1 x $50 (2nd in class at Solosprint Nationals)
Mark A (Oakville): 2 x $50 (Min # of Rallycross events, 3rd in Class @ Rallycross)
Nick M (Caledon): 1 x $50 (Min # of Rallycross Events)
Tony K (Grimsby): 1 x $50, 1 x $75 (Targa finish, and 2nd in Class)
Ryan K (Grimsby): 1 x $50, 1 x $75 (Targa finish, and 2nd in Class)
Lance W (Collingwood): 1 x $50 (Targa Finish)
Barry W (Port Sydney): 1 x $50 (Targa Finish)
Dean H (Mississauga): 1 x $50 (Targa Finish)
Richard B (Toronto): 1 x $50 (Targa Finish)

When you order from Talon, you don't pay PST, and he ships the tires/wheels/accessories to you for less than the price of the PST you would have paid buying in Ontario. If you don't want to order from Talon, please consider donating your coupon back to the club, and we'll raffle them to other members. We'd rather not see the coupons appear in the classifieds.

STeveD
02-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm bumping this, because some people have not contacted me about obtaining your Talon Coupons from this event. Some of you are on the RA-1 group buy, so I thought you might want a reminder.

Any unclaimed coupons will be randomly given to other members in some fair and impartial way!

Going once....

STeveD
03-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Going Twice...

...if you would like to be considered for participation in the random coupon awarding (a few of the people on the above list have not gotten back to me yet) PM me. Remember, they expire at the end of March, so get a move on!

Wants more coupons:

DouglasM
nissannx
Navigator
STeveD
tanney
AndrewR

***You can PM me to get on this list. Remember, they expire in 4 weeks, so you have to be willing to buy tires NOW. ***

Thanks to Tony, Loui, Rhys, and Bradley for donating their coupons back to the club.

TonyKloosterman
03-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Give mine and ryans to some deserving person.

Tony

AndrewR
03-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Done!!