PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters

MikeV
03-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Are the black Subaru oil filters still the ones to buy (even at $15/filter)? It looks like Subaru has a new blue filter. I'm out of the black filters and need to figure out what to buy.

STeveD
03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
I've been buying the UAP Napa gold for all three cars. I get them for about $10 each +taxes from the local UAP/NAPA when I haggle for "Car Club" pricing. Their website states good filtration numbers, good flow numbers, it has a silicone anti drainback, metal caps on the filtration media, spring loaded bypass, etc.

Napa Gold Filter Info (http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=FIL&PartNumber=1365&Description=Oil+Filter+(Gold))

Depending on how often you change filters, the Amsoil Ea012 or Ea013 with nanofibre filtration are the premium choices. Ea012 is the direct equivalent to the Subaru black. The Ea013 is a taller filter with more media, intended for a Mazda application, but the flow, diameter and threads are the same as the Ea012. I am not using them because I don't do extended drain intervals on any of the cars at the moment.

Amsoil Ea Filter Information (http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx)

(Internal construction diagram is similar to the Napa Gold diagram on the sides of the box.)

In sales of a case of 12 I can get the Ea012 for $19.53 taxes in each filter. The Ea013 for $19.95.

In WIX equivalents through Amsoil, according to internet sources the same manufacturing standard as the Napa Gold, are $11.95 taxes in for the Ea012 equivalent. However... the Ea013 evivalent are $10.64 taxes in. There's no discount for buying these by the case, so this is the individual price.

If you're hell bent on the Subaru black, I have some left over that I can sell to you for the cost of buying a Wix 51356. I want to give these a try.

JoeT
03-19-2009, 07:23 PM
The blue filters that Subaru currently carries is made by Honeywell. Now here's the shocking part, we all know how terrible Fram Filters are when they were made by allied signal. Seems that Honeywell is the manufacturer of Fram Filters now, and if they didn't change their manufacturing process, they would still be in the bottom feeder catagory IMHO.

I'd personally stay away from them for motorsports use, for my tribecca or outback, I woudn't hesitate to use those.

Just an FYI.

MikeV
03-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll stay clear of the blue ones.

Cavemanrjc
03-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Parden? Did i hear right? I have to be concerned on the oil filter? and i dont mean the no name cheepies but the "Quality" ones?

O.K. then Whats the Best oil And Filter For these things (WRX)? It did not like Amsoil in eng and rear diff

diff started to howel and eng consumed exseve amounts (to me. not the ind standard) back to conventinal and all is better. no more howel and less consumption

JoeT
03-20-2009, 09:28 PM
The best non exotic filters that we use are the Purolator Pure 1's, they have the best filter media, plus they have lots of it packed in a little container.

valheru
03-21-2009, 06:20 PM
JoeT wrote:
The best non exotic filters that we use are the Purolator Pure 1's, they have the best filter media, plus they have lots of it packed in a little container.

Joe where do you get those?

JoeT
03-21-2009, 08:19 PM
In Ottawa, try asking the gang at Benson Autoparts. Here in Toronto, you can order them by the case at almost any jobber shop.

alf
03-21-2009, 08:31 PM
valheru wrote:

JoeT wrote:

Joe where do you get those?

Denis is this a question for Ottawa? CMAN, that's always the first answer...

ps CMAN stand for Call Mike at Nolimit.

valheru
03-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I was just wondering since I've never heard of that brand before.

valheru
04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Update:

Well, I talked to MANL, Benson, Côté and nobody deals Purolator filters in the Ottawa region apparently, so I picked-up a Napa Gold.