View Full Version : Seat Installs - post your experience

tashko
03-27-2009, 10:44 PM
So, one of the items on my huge 'to do' list before the first events in mid-May is to install a nice OMP seat in my car.

I've noticed in a few cars that the driver seat isn't always quite centred. Mine seems to be fairly well centred but they did this by having an asymettrical seat design. They trimmed the right side of the seat down to just fit next to the centre console. I'm worried that I won't be able to get the OMP to fit centred.

Anybody else run across this or have any seat install tips? I'm making my own mounting brackets to adapt the car - slider - OMP.

Oh, also, any success in using the stock three point with racing seats?

Share your stories... :pint:

Thanks.
t.

JoeT
03-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Measure twice, drill mounting holes once, and make sure they're the correct height and you're good as gold.

Cavemanrjc
03-27-2009, 11:23 PM
when mounting the yanaka seats in the cav the recipercating swing press came in handy. :hammer:
a littel tweak here a littel massage there and then thay cleard the tunnel.

if you still have carpet you wont even notice it

Then made aluminum mount arms to raise them up so she could see over the dash
and bolted the tracks that came with the seats to them

on seven the seat just bolted to the floor with a backup plate on the other side.

the truck had an alum plate cut to fit the contures of the floor and the seat was mounted to it.

dont forget, anythings posabul with torches a welder and a large hammer.

Denali
03-29-2009, 11:00 AM
i have the sparco evo2 xl bottom right of seat hits the trans hump/center console and the left shoulder support hits the b pillar. i also have the slider mechanism that raises the seat 3/4-1" but thats basically useless as the seat is hitting in the front and back. defiantly need to do some adjusting for this summer

tashko
04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Are you guys able to use the oem 3pt with the seat without a gap to your waist because the seat side height?

JoeT
04-06-2009, 10:16 PM
The Corbeau brackets for my corbeau seat has the OEM anchor bolts and locations, so that the seatbelt fits like OEM.

alf
04-07-2009, 08:50 AM
I'll tell you tonight how things goes, I bought some square tubing and angle yesterday. I need a seat by 7am tomorrow morning since I start a new job.

I'll be building it base from the oem seat rail. I'll see if I can take some pic. If my idea works, you may be able to replicate that. If it works, the final cost will be 23$ taxes in.

alf
04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, the jury is still out... It's not a failure nor a success. I use some 1 1/2" square tube and angle, it brings my seat back to stock height. I want to lower for head room clearance. With more tools, I would be able to make it work, however with the limited tools, there is so much I can do + the car has to be on the road by tomorrow morning.

I'll cave in and order a corbeau seat bracket.

tashko
04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
I tried fitting my OMP seat in and I couldn't find a position that worked. If I centre it with the wheel, the tunnel is in the way and I have to raise it up. Then I don't have head room. Argh!! There might be a seat in the for sale section soon...

I'll have to find out how the rally guys, like Pete Reilly, fitted the seats in the Talon he built. Probably a BFH to 'correct' the tunnel position...

Cavemanrjc
04-19-2009, 10:01 PM
I think some slight massaging is in order. just dont get to close to the shaft / exhaust. Some tunnels are dubbel walled as well.

wedge
04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
tashko wrote:
I'll have to find out how the rally guys, like Pete Reilly, fitted the seats in the Talon he built. Probably a BFH to 'correct' the tunnel position...

I never really paid attention, but I think it's offset a bit in that car too. But I've driven it, and honestly, you don't notice at all, unless it's WAY off.