PDA

View Full Version : DSS + R180 issue

Denali
04-02-2009, 06:30 PM
i have a r180 installed but cannot get one axle in.. they are the Drive Shaft Shop R180 to R160 conversion axles. passenger side is in but the drivers side stops about a half inch away from being fully seated. the circlip looks a little small but should not pose a problem. i dont think we are even are being limited by that. there seems to be a washer os shim thats about 1.75" in that looks to be a hair smaller then where the splines go, on the axle there are rub marks around where that shim should be.. the axle stub steps up about at those marks.

anyone have a set on sti axles that they could check to see if there is a step up about 3/4 in on the splines?

has anyone had issues with dss axles?

will i have to disassemble the diff to measure the i.d. of that shim?

JoeT
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM
CAn you take a picture and post it?

Denali
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
not really , cam wont get the insides of the diff and the scratches on the axle are hard to see in pics, we disassembled the axles today and were able to hammer the drivers side in some more but its still like 3/16" out

JoeT
04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I believe they are different between left and right. It shows 2 different part numbers. Have you tried swapping sides by chance?

Denali
04-03-2009, 03:46 PM
no not really, will give that one last shot ...other wise its off to 4* on monday

TonyKloosterman
04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
check to see if the old circlip is still in there.

Tony

Denali
04-06-2009, 08:30 AM
clip's are still in, we tried swapping sides with the axles and the good axle fit in the drivers side, but the problem axle will not fit in the pass side. so its definitely the dss snub. we measured the splines and the problem one seems to be 0.002" - 0.008" larger.... could the tolerances really be that small? unless the better axle is already on the larger side of the tolerances.

JoeT
04-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Stephen,

I'm assuming the problem is on the differential side, not the hub side, right? If that's the case, just give Frank at the DSS a call and explain the situation, he'll more than likely send up just the outer CV joint to replace yours. No sense in fighting with it for now.

Frank is a good guy and is easy to deal with.

At lease you found out that the problem follows the shaft, which means it's not the diff that's causing the problem.

TonyKloosterman
04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I meant is the old clip still inside the diff preventing the axle from going in and seating

Denali
04-26-2009, 02:50 PM
just an update, i called DSS and he said that they had a issue with incorrectly sized (larger) inner stubs for the r180. so i sent it down and when i got it back it was the same size or fractionally smaller then the measurements i took off of the axle that fits. also looks like the taper is less of an angle to help it slide in, if it was at a 45 its now 30 sort of thing. both axles are in now, maybe next week the trans will go back in :)