PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Not my day...engine running rough and very rich

tashko
04-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I finally got around to putting the car back together after taking the intake and exhaust stuff off to change the motor mounts.

Now the bastard doesn't want to run right. It's vibrating like a 25 cent motel bed and pretty darn rich. Plugs are black but not wet.

I have a feeling I need to start snooping through the electrical...argh!!! I hate cars. :banghead:

STeveD
04-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I had one vacuum line off my catch can that caused the exact same symptoms. (Thanks to Ivano for finding it!!) You can't rule out vacuum leak if you had the intake off.

tashko
04-19-2009, 11:46 PM
hmm. I'll take a look again but I didn't see any hose issues. I've pulled most of them off so there isn't much to go wrong in that avenue. It's also MAP based so any vacuum leak would be compensated for.

I was hoping to shake-down at the school a little and scrub the V710's. Don't think the Talon will make the school though...

It could be a coolant temp. sensor causing the ECU to run rich. Either that or the ECU's lost control of the injectors. Hopefully no mice have eaten anything in the month it's been just sitting.

The vibration is more concerning than the rich. I'm hoping the vibration is due to the rich condition. I suppose it could also be the cam angle sensor not working properly and throwing the timing out. I did notice the timing was all over tha place from around 13 to 28 degrees.

STeveD
04-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Heh, we just replaced the knock sensor, one cam sensor and the crank sensor on mine. They all threw CEL's during tuning.

Crank sensor caused the misfire.

Fentin_Fury
04-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Tashko

Not that I know much about that engine - I have rr a few and removed the counter shaft, turbo upgrades, stand alone - mostly with Anthony B - but I have seen the timing issue before and it was a worn distributor drive rather than the CAS.

tashko
04-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm going to look into the vacuum lines first. I suppose since it's MAP based a vacuum leak would cause it to think there is some load and need fuel. Maybe my ECU isn't smart enough to realise that no throttle and idle switch ON means it doesn't need fuel...

Distributor...don't have one of those...This puppy is electronic mate. :-D

tashko
04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Ok, youz guys are so smrt.

Found the problem after a few minutes of looking. I have most of the vacuum stuff for useless things disconnected so there's only about 6 connections in use.

Turns out I connected my MAP senser to the wrong port on the throttle body when I reconnected things. I use two of the four ports. One sees both pressure and vacuum, the other only sees pressure. The ECU was only seeing atmospheric pressure and adding a little too much fuel. Swapped the lines and all is well.

Still vibrates too much though. Those Prothane mounts are mighty stiff!!

Thanks for the pointers! :bow:

JoeT
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Bwahahahaha.. Rookie!! LOL

Fentin_Fury
04-22-2009, 06:00 AM
excellent - now you are ready to go!

tashko
04-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Almost...still a bunch of things to take of before I'm really ready but at least the car runs.

I have to do a quick driveway alignment, then go for a proper alignment. Hopefully I'll get to drive the car Thursday and Friday to make sure it's going to keep working.

Then if there's time on the weekend to slap the V710s on and see if/where they rub. Hopefully I won't have to raise the ride-height, which would require another alignment, etc.

Am I the only one not ready? Joe, your car ready?

JoeT
04-22-2009, 09:44 AM
tashko wrote:
Am I the only one not ready? Joe, your car ready?

Now that's a different story.. LOL, in my case, the engine went in last night, there are a bunch of things to do to get it ready for the first competition.

All 3"
Custom Downpipe
Custome midpipe 2 resonators + higher flow metal core cat
Custom Cat back 1 big muffler
Install custom Oil Recovery system

Break-in for 1000 Km
Rough "safe tune" until we get to the dyno
Because we are now using 850cc injectors and a TD06H bigger turbo with bigger 68mm exducer compressor.. Muahahahah...

That's about it, other than that, it's almost there.

Fentin_Fury
04-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I have a valve train issue - well a noise I don't like. Pulling intake side valve cover off today to measure lash (solid lifters). If I have to shim - or worse - I will not be ready by the weekend

q

JoeT
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Tashko,

You should go back to ESP, there's 5 people in ther now, and it should provide good competition.. You can still beat up on the Mod Squad from down below unofficially.

tashko
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Well, looks like my issues are the simple ones now compared to you guys.

I don't know if I can run ESP. I'll have to add up the points again and see. I rather like not having to worry about prep in Mod class. One less thing is always good.

JoeT
04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Ya, but there's nothing wrong in giving Loopy a heart attack.. He's in ESP I believe... LOL

tashko wrote:
Well, looks like my issues are the simple ones now compared to you guys.

I don't know if I can run ESP. I'll have to add up the points again and see. I rather like not having to worry about prep in Mod class. One less thing is always good.

Loopy
04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
i'm too young to die! LOL.

yeah, i'll be in ESP this year and I'll have my hands full of American Iron. Having competition in ESP would be great! I seem to do better when I've got someone to chase (officially or unofficially).

I'm pretty much ready. Just have to update my number plates (changing an "S" to a "P") and waiting for my r888s to come in.

Fentin_Fury
04-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Cams look good - lash good as well :)

Still don't know what the noise is but I figure it can't be piston slap as the noise is on the wrong side. I suspect I just never listened that closely before.... and the cam clearance on the RBs is quite large so when cold a little loud.

Still pulls like a bear - and forgot to turn on the rev limiter.

q

JoeT
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
You guys with your "non-interference engines"... Lucky.

Looking forward to seeing the beast!!!

Fentin_Fury wrote:
Cams look good - lash good as well :)

Still don't know what the noise is but I figure it can't be piston slap as the noise is on the wrong side. I suspect I just never listened that closely before.... and the cam clearance on the RBs is quite large so when cold a little loud.

Still pulls like a bear - and forgot to turn on the rev limiter.

q