PDA

View Full Version : Legacy cat. convertor

nissannx
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Folks,
A friend of mine has a Legacy street only car. This daily driver is an 04 or 05 and apparently needs a new cat. The estimate from the dealer was over 3 grand. I haven't seen the estimate to know if other work is included, but this sounds like a lot. Comments and suggestions?
Frank

JoeT
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi Frank,

Go buy 2 ceramic cats for 75 bucks each, and have a muffler shop install them for you. That should fit the bill.

Also, all emision control systems are covered for 5 years unlimited milage, and should not cost anything if it's within those parameters.

Hope this helps.

Navigator
04-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Who assesed it and said it needed the cat replaced. I bet its something else. Get more info :)

AndrewR
04-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Probably needs a rear O2.

nissannx
04-23-2009, 06:54 AM
I will pass the information along and see what happens from here. I am not sure which dealership - and I won't assume it's a local one as many people drive distances to get a car.

5 years unlimited mileage is a great tip - I don't know the actual age of the car and, in defense of the quote, I'm not sure if other items are listed. That is a possibility. Great suggestions - thanks for helping out. I will try to get more specific details.
Frank

Cavemanrjc
04-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi as an E Repair Tech That seems Very Exsesive
do you have the pre and post results on all the difrent cats? sepertly? also the test #'s what did it fail on?
Quick sugestion, take to a diffrent facility its only $37.50 or so. And hell it may pass
The programe is flaued and unfortunatly there are some crocked shops out there. This is a slow time for shops and he may have a large morgage.

And rember Cats dont die. THERE KILLED!!! So what else is wrong with the car to kill all the cats?

and are there any codes for cat effiency if not why dose it nead all the cats

the newer cars are quite smart ie: 4 ho2s in the exhaust

missfire counters and lean / rich limit codes it will set well befor catalist damage

Agane I strongly recomend take to a diffrent shop

If in the Barrie area pm me for 3 top shops to pick from. All VERY hounest.

Hell we are one of the high end shops in the area and a Cady northstar supplyed and installed was aprox that much $.

second option: Register the car north of the sevren river and your exempt
:-D

Crocked Techs piss me off

nissannx
04-24-2009, 06:28 AM
K-W is just too far to come up to Barrie. The owner isn't mechanically inclined and I found out on secondarily - and suggested that this is out of line. Still trying to find out if it's related to other issues!