PDA

View Full Version : CV boot tear, replace the half shaft?

AlexeiS
05-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Yay!

Well, I was under the car working on something else and I noticed the outboard RL half shaft boot is torn. I read around and I don't think I care to replace the boot, it sounds like replacing the whole half shaft and getting a core back would be a better idea. I have no idea how long it has been torn. I don't have the band clamp tool. Boot + grease is supposed to not be that much better than HS - core.

How bad is the HS replacement? I'm looking at the manual and so far it doesn't seem bad, but it has those wonderful "special tools" to pop out the diff end of the HS. I was able to use a pair of bigass flathead screwdrivers on my old Accord, would those work?

Also, does anyone have a good source for the Rear Left HS before I just start calling around? It's for my 04 WRX.

Cars suck.

JoeT
05-12-2009, 10:04 PM
New axles are only 125 bucks at Japan Auto Parts, give them a call and tell them you're with SPDA.

it's easy to remove, just a roll pin to pop out and a 32 mm nut to remove.

Cavemanrjc
05-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Chang the shaft. More for the part but Less for labour.

And as you said dont know how long its been or how much sand and salt has goten in to the joint.

Special tool = Large Pry Bar and Hammer :-D

I looked up the special tool and it looks like a pry bar that fits around both sides or the joint betwen the housing and joint. it rests on one of the bolts as not to damage the carier barring retainer.

some times you may have to use the taper of the bar as a wedge aganst the case. use a bolt it the case as a fulcrum.

outbord end is more of a pain as you have to remove it first and depending on the level of crosion the spline will probably be stuck in the spindel. Hammer and Punch (LARGE HAMMER)
The last one i did rear wheel barrings on the lower controll arm bolt to spindel was seazed. I left it in and removed the other arms. more of a pain but will work.

Good Luck

Snap-On Shop Key did not did not mention a roll pin but look for it. Joe's usely right :bow:
Tanks Joe