PDA

View Full Version : Rally guys...a question (Evo content)

paulneartarga
05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Other than the cost...$54000 ouch...is there a reason the Evo MR with the twin clutch transmission is NOT used for rally?

IE: is it banned? is it no good? does it fail when used for racing?

On paper at least,the twin clutch paddle shift can change gears fast enough to give an advantage over a regular tranny/clutch....similar to a dog box type of deal,but no one seems to use them.Why?

elementZ
05-19-2009, 08:35 PM
maybe weight is an issue. cause the evo x is over 300lbs heavier than the evo IX. also how tough are the twin clutches? can they handle the abuse that the 6/5 spd took?

RyanHuber
05-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Electronically controlled gearchange isn't allowed in Open Class.

d) Electronic Controls
i) No type or form of electronic control is permitted for the following components:
Suspension, Steering, Braking, Gear change/clutch, front and rear differentials.

e) The use of sequential gearchange mechanisms is not permitted.

I suspect you might be able to run it in Production GT, but I'd have to get further into the rules on that one.

paulneartarga
05-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Ryan are you allowed to downsize your brakes in Production class to fit 15 inch "rally gravel tires/rims"?Similar to the changes they just made in the Rally America rules.

Chris_Martin
05-20-2009, 10:59 AM
you are not allowed to downsize the brakes in production to fit the 15's in Canada.

paulneartarga
05-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Thank you.

Certainly explains why no one runs the dual clutch tranny.

Any sign of the brake rule getting changed?

wedge
05-20-2009, 11:15 PM
It's been talked about. I think CARS is on the fence on that one.
There's a benefit to that brake rule, it effectively keeps some of the monster cars out of production class, which keeps it a bit more fair for everyone else.