PDA

View Full Version : New member saying "hi"

GraemeWRXTi
05-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Hi everyone!

I just purchased my first Subaru a few weeks ago. I actually imported it from North Carolina. Thought I'd join up here, since I'm hoping to participate in at least a few different race events this summer season.

Anyways, my car is a WRB 2002 Subaru WRX with an STi motor swap. It's got a fairly extensive mod list (dynoed at 365 whp), but I'm fairly worried about the stock wrx 5-speed blowing up on me.

That's about it for now. I'm sure you'll see me post around here more.

JoeT
05-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi Graeme,

Welcome aboard. Yes with that much power I'd be worried too. But you know how it goes, might as well have fun with the car then replace the tranny with an STI 6 speed if and when it goes.

STeveD
05-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Welcome, Graeme!

One of the most important things with the 5 Speed is to be gentle with the gear engagement, especially for second gear. If your synchros don't want to engage, we have some tranny fluid "cocktails" that can help that out. It's made a world of difference for me downshifting to 1st on slalom courses and the street.

wrxR176
05-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Hello Graeme

Great to have you aboard. I am your Solosprint ambassador so if you are looking to participate in any Solosprint Time Trial events please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have. It would be great to see you at some events this summer.

Thanks
Paul

GraemeWRXTi
05-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately I have spent every last bit of money I have (including up and coming paychecks) to pay for this car. So ANY sort of transmission swap is currently beyond my budget. I will admit it's not easy being in this hobby AND having to pay for school. And while spending lots of money on my car isn't necessarily the smartest decision right now, I'm obsessed and that's just the way it'll stay.

Anyways, the transmission seems to be doing fine, except for some crazy chatter on deceleration. I've read thats fairly normal for these cars that have a lightened flywheel and aftermarket clutch, so I'm trying not to let it bother me.

Once I get over the transmission fear, and get off these all-season tires, I'll definitely get out to some events. I participated in the Solo2 school a few years back, with my crappy old Porsche 944 of the time... now I'm back with a real car and ready for more.

The car:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3557591749_a69c55a048.jpg?v=0

tashko
05-25-2009, 10:52 PM
...lol, maybe keep the all-seasons on there to limit the amout of load on your tranny.. :-)

Welcome.