PDA

View Full Version : KWRC BBQ and easy rally this Sunday: $20 per car!!!

STeveD
07-14-2009, 12:07 PM
The Kitchener-Waterloo Rally Club is holding its BBQ and SNATR (Sunday Afternoon at the Rallies) this Sunday, July 19, 2009. The format is a traditional beginner level rally of about 100km, ending with our annual BBQ. The start is at Williams Coffee Pub on King St. in Kitchener, the finish and BBQ is at Pinehurst Conservation Area south of Cambridge. Registration opens at 12:30, First car out at 2:01PM, Finishing at the BBQ about 4:00PM.

There is more information at http://www.kwrc.on.ca/events/snatr/July09.html

Park admission and the BBQ is included in the $20.00 entry fee. You may want to bring some lawn chairs to the BBQ. If you might be coming please email <martinl at oxford dot net> so I get enough food.

Pinehrust is a great place to take the family. Hope to see you there.

Martin Loveridge

mikewolf
07-14-2009, 01:29 PM
If a complete newb like myself were interested, what is needed? Accurate odomoter? watch? etc? Also, is there anyone going who would want a completely inexperienced navigator or driver? I'm not sure if it helps, but I do have a pretty good knowledge of the area.

STeveD
07-14-2009, 01:36 PM
A working odometer (accuracy isn't THAT critical), and a digital watch or stopwatch that shows seconds. I can loan you a stopwatch if you want one. Bring pencils or a pen in the car and clipboard or book to use as a backing to the instructions to make notes.

Oh! And if you have a Garmin or similar GPS, you'll find that handy to have! Absolutely not necessary. Again, I could loan you one for use during the rally.

AndrewR
07-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I have talked my better half into attending - as well as my 12 year old daughter! SPDA represent

STeveD
07-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Cool!!! RSVP with Martin to let him know how many in your car so that you can

Okay, I have some insider info for you... you will also want a small calculator to do addition/subtraction. Nothing complex. Your cellphone probably has a calculator function and will be adequate, or you can have your 12 year old daughter do it for you in her head, Andrew!

It's a scenic route, including through some nice neighbourhoods, so they put the Average Speed low in those sections. :-) Tell your wife you're taking them house hunting.

STeveD
07-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Andrew R & his wife Kolette came out and did VERY well at the SNATR! They made EVERY checkpoint. They only missed one turn and realized it immediately (unlike Giselle and I!)

So... Infinite Monkeys is running out of Newmarket on August 15th... who wants to go to Solo2 at the Powerade Centre anyway??

AndrewR
07-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Well.. We were trying to determine whether or not we were going too fast or too slow, what the notes really meant as far as time, why the speedo was reading too high (darn Subarus) and why the cars in front of us disappeared. Then we remembered what the notes said, and just made all the checkpoints, did not get lost.

The one missed turn was because we were overthinking again, and got too busy doing other things.

And, to be honest, without our garmin, we would have been lost.

A good time was had by all, even Kolette had a good time, we did not fight, and we are looking forward to our next opportunity.

Dang solo2 at the same time - I should get HADA to re-schedule.

BTW, Thanks Stephen for the cookies, although I think that was why we missed the one turn :-)

TrevorH
07-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Good to hear you had a fun time and found all the Check Points Andrew. Hope to see you at some of the upcoming events.

AndrewR
07-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah, and I drove from Ajax, to Kitchener, putted around for over 2 hrs, and then back to Ajax on 1/2 a tank of 97. Cheap Cheap fun

STeveD
07-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah, it's hard to beat nav rally when it comes to entertainment for the dollar! Hard to entertain a family for less $$ than that, especially in Motorsports.