PDA

View Full Version : 17" rims and tire wear

adam_wrc
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
A couple of summers ago I bought some 7 x 17 inch rims and tires off Kijiji and put them on my RS. They looked great but felt awful. This summer I put them on the Legacy. I have just removed all 4 wheels as the inside edge on all of them is completely worn down, as in I can see steel braid.

The winter tires all wore evenly, so I assume the alignment is good. I know the offset is only 35mm, could this have caused all the tires to wear so badly? Should I be looking at anything else?

Does anyone want to buy 4 7X17 rims, needs new tires, universal 5 stud pattern, look great ??? ;)

Thanks for any advice

Navigator
07-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Something dosnt sound right? Could it be bad tires. The offset should not affect your camber wearing issues, if anything you will have killed the wheel bearings.

adam_wrc
07-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I think the wheel bearings are okay. Back on winter tires until I get some new rims and the car drives much better again.

Something definitely wrong with those wheels.

adam_wrc
07-17-2009, 08:43 PM
I have now looked at 3 sets of rims and tires for a suaru with arious offsets of rims and tires for the legacy, and even on wheels with the correct offset they have the same issue of wearing the inside edge of the tire. The Kuhmo Ecsta (?) are the worst.

Is the the tire? Is it the Legacy? Does Joe have trouble with his tires? Are there lots of Legacies running round with ad alignment?

Navigator
07-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I drive a Legacy also and only had that problem when I had the front camber maxed out and left like that for a few years. I readjusted my alignment and they wear perfectly fine. Is your alignment ok? I had Bridgestones, Toyos and now Hankooks with not problem.

adam_wrc
07-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Sorry Ivano - Didn't know you had a Legacy now.

Having done more research it would appear alignment is the most likely cause, toe in particular. I am looking for a decent alignment shop around Burlington/Milton area. Any recommendations?

Thanks

STeveD
07-18-2009, 09:22 AM
No one better than Scott:

http://www.canalignment.com/

adam_wrc
07-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks Steve

I had a chat with Scott and we have a plan. I need some new tires!

STeveD
07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Hrmm. If these are just to roll around on for the summer, I have some Nankang NS-1's in the shed. 225/45/17. They have some camber wear, and are not a performance tire, but still lots of tread to avoid aquaplaning. If someone wants to buy your wheels WITH tires, perhaps we could package them...