PDA

View Full Version : Swap a GC8 2.5rs from Auto to Manual

shanehutton
07-20-2009, 11:59 AM
How hard?
How expensive?

What is needed and how hard is it to find the parts?

Would anyone want to help me do it?

This could be your chance to bring me over to the dark side from Volvo.

JoeT
07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Not hard
Easy to find parts

You'd need:
Tranny, matching rear diff, and prop shaft
Pedal Box
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch clave cylinder
Hydraulic clutch hose

As for how expensive, it's best if you locate a donor car with a blown engine, that way you don't need to look for the pieces. Even a rusted out car will do.. I believe there's a guy that has all the pieces you want, he goes by the name Warwagon on this board. He purchased a shell and wants to part out the drivetrain. I'll pm him to see if he still has the remnants.

warwagon
07-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I have everything Joe listed which could be had for cheap ;-)
Let me know if your interested, all parts are from a 02 TS wagon

shanehutton
07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Can you either PM me with a price or post it here?
Also, please let me know if I would be missing anything.

JoeT
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
You'll also need, a 2.5RS or Legacy Flywheel and a clutch and pressure plate.

warwagon
07-20-2009, 06:06 PM
I have a flywheel as well
I'll take $400 for Everything ;-)

JoeT
07-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Now that's a great deal!!!!

shanehutton
07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
So, everything I need except the clutch and fluids for $400.
O.k. I am going to look at a car tomorrow and will let you know.

Is there a shop that would do the swap inexpensively? I don't have anywhere to work on a car. I would also be willing to buy a boatload of beer or fork over some cash if anyone wanted to help me do it at their place????

Is there anything I should look at when buying a used imprezza? What should the compression be on the 2.5rs motor?

dsprongl
07-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi

Warwagon has everything you need, if you need other parts let me know.

Also the GD pedal box will not work in the GC drivetrain. I do have a pedal set, but I am away for a few days.

I do have the flywheel.

Dan
dan@fourstarmotorsports.com

STeveD
07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Our club gets a decent deal on Bully clutches if you're looking for brand new. Kevlar for streetability + high grip (faster wear), ceramic for durability, organic for balance of both. You choose.

shanehutton
07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys. I have a couple more questions (I'm a subaru newbie):
1. What should I look out for when buying an impreza? What should the compression be on a 2.5? Chassis rust areas?

2. Are there different versions of the centre and rear diff? I assume the STi gets more aggressive ones but would the ones mentioned above be the same as a WRX? I plan to use this car as a street / track car and eventually swap in an EJ20 so I want to make sure I am not replacing things twice.

If there are any good links on these questions feel free to just point me there cause I would like to learn as much as I can about these drivetrains.

You guys rule.

shanehutton
07-21-2009, 09:00 AM
O.k. I just found a site covering the EJ20 swap and I am starting to think I should just stick with the Volvo. I can't imagine I would be happy with the power out of the RS engine and the swap is WAY more involved than I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting Honda swap but it looks really expensive.

I guess I can wait until Sunday and see how my boat keeps up on the track. The Gymkahana was really tough with FWD, big car and an open diff. I am hoping that I can put the power down a bit better at Mosport.

JoeT
07-21-2009, 09:34 AM
BTW: FTD is usually set by a 2001 Impreza on all Regional Autoslaloms, driven by Mike A from this club.

Don't underestimate the power delivery of the EJ25 (Stock engine), it'll surprise you.

shanehutton
07-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I was just going off the 1/4 mile time and it isn't anything to rave about. I think I will take the car for a spin and make my mind up.

Does the tranny / rear diff I would be swapping in come with front or rear LSD? I assume that it would make a big difference.

JoeT
07-21-2009, 11:39 AM
The tranny he's providing does not have rear LSD, but the first step is to get it in there. Rear diff swaps are easy to do (relatively speaking) on these cars.

Slow 1/4 mile times or fair quarter mile times speak nothing of how the car handles with the correct settings. It just shows raw HP.

On our cars, it's torque out of the corners which matter, since we're all AWD there is no wheel spin and it's deceiving. The biggest problem is it feels mundane until the car is driven in anger. These cars like to be manhandled, flicked, and when done correctly you're rewarded with fast times. If done incorrectly, you'll see what understeer is all about.. LOL

Hope this helps.