PDA

View Full Version : Turbo choices...

Chris_Martin
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Now that the motor is somewhat sorted (i hope)...i need a new snail.

2.2L motor, DOHC heads, and Cams
8.5-9.0 compression
34mm Rally Restrictor.

Was running a IHI VF23. It's Ball bearing, and starting to make some noise, and not really holding boost like it probably should.

Peaks to 22-23, and backs way off after that. Peaks really hard, and that's it. There's a "moly grease" like turbo blade slurry in the thing.

Options are:

#1). Stock STi turbo (VF39, VF43, VF49)
Pros: Cheap (~500), Very similar to what i had.
Cons: Used, Wastegate crack syndrome, Not Ball bearing.

#2). TD05 16g of some variant.
Pros: Brand new, Cheapish (600-800 usd), Fairly proven.
Cons: Everyone does it...and i like to be unique.

#3). ATP/Garret GT28RS http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-SUB-003&Category_Code=SUB
Pros: Ball bearing, Brand new.
Cons: By far the most expensive, relatively unknown and a bit of a gamble.

ATP/Garret has been very accomidating in answering questions, and has "racer" pricing. They claim this turbo will be spooled up and signing by 3,000 rpm ish. However there are very few people who have used these, most just jump to a GT30 etc, or go other routes. And most use 2.5L motors.

There are other options out there i'm sure...

Ideas? Sugggestions?

Fentin_Fury
08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
I run two of the - GT28s - or very similiar - HKS modification of the GT28

HKS GT-RS - 400 PS Output

COMPRESSOR:
-Wheel- 52 Trim - 51.2 Inducer / 71.1 Major
-Housing- 60 Inlet / 50 Outlet - 0.60 A/R
TURBINE:
-Wheel- 76 Trim - 53.8 Major / 47.0 Exducer
-Housing- GT25 inlet / Internal GT25 outlet; 0.64 A/R

I imagine a single with your displacement would be singing by 3k - for me I have to be a bit north of that.

q

Chris_Martin
08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
brand new Blouch TD05 16G evo 3 is $879 shipped on a nasioc one day deal...

JohnVanos
08-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Chris, what about a VF30/34? No problem making good power down low with that from our experience, but if I had my way (read $$$) I would have got the GT28RS as you're thinking of, plus the cartridge can be replaced.

Any one of the turbos should give you more than enough power though, but you're on a good streak, go big or go home I say!

John

tashko
08-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Chris, brand new Mitsu EVOIII 16g is on special at Forced Performance for $499!

Oh, sorry, forgot you're Scooby, not Mitsu, not sure if FP has a Subie version.

alf
08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
You can probably get a good deal from slowboy racing on the td05-16g. It's an easy proven solution and it's cost efficient... That's probably the route I'll take.

I know TONIK is(or was) using a vf39 with an external wastegate on one of the rally car he maintains. VF39 are dirt cheap, you could event afford to have a spare with you...

tashko
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I spoke with Slowboy and they came in with a good price but couldn't beat the FP special. Not sure how FP can offer it so low!

I give SBR a thumbs up though for customer service, quick response, by phone even! :tu:

warwagon
08-20-2009, 08:57 AM
I would get the HKS GT RS 28r if I were you....
I ran one on my car for a season and a half , spools almost as fast as stock on a 2.5l and pulls hard to close to 6500rpm.
I sold it to a SPDA member whose been getting FTD at some events this summer with it ;-)
The best I could muster at the dragstrip with that turbo running 30psi of boost was 12.01@115mph on STOCK cams and valves, just to give you an idea of the power it's capable of...I was on street tires at the time too LOL
Great turbo, worth every penny!!!

STeveD
08-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah, the GT28RS is a nice size for a road driven car. The key, I think, will be to get the right A/R for your displacement and the 34mm restrictor you run in rally. My FMIC and non-stock cams hurt the spool of this turbo and shifts the powerband a bit. It did the same with the VF39.

Chris and I should have swapped cams back when he had the GT35. ;-) Now my cams are too tame for his setup.

As for the 16G... everyone MIGHT be doing it because it WORKS. Money saved on a turbo is money you can put towards something else like fresh tires, which can have a bigger effect on section times.

Chris_Martin
08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I think i changed my mind 20 times yesterday.

I went from almost buying the Garrett, to calling Blouch to order a TD05, to almost paypalling someone else for a TD05.

At the end of the day, i think i decided to just stick with a STI turbo. There is one local, and i know there is no messing around. My restrictor should fit, and the turbo will be a absolute direct bolt in. Tuning will also be close.

As it sits, the motor rebuild is probably going to be late, and getting it back together, then breaking it in. Getting it all done before DEFI is going to be pushing it, and chasing down teething pains with a new turbo set-up isn't desireable.

It's also a difference of over $1000 bucks.

With the motor pretty clearly being down on compression before, and i'm also adding Cams, there will be enough different....and it was making enough power before.

The upgrade path is always there.

Thanks for all the replies and comments!