PDA

View Full Version : Event Reminder: Delaware Speedway, September 4 with Fenwick Subaru

JoeT
08-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi All,

Fenwick Subaru is hosting the the SPDA on September 4th, what does this mean?

Payout for the evening is: $1000.00 for the KOTH winner!

VIP Treatment and preferred seating in the VIP Area
Vouchers for Food for the evening
Vouchers for Refreshments for the evening
Free Entry
Parking "Inside" the gates so you can see your car

Here's what we need:
Drivers to compete in the King of the Hill
Cars to display in the spectator area
People to come out to hang out and enjoy the evening.

Please post here and let us know if you're coming:

Information needed:
Car Model
How many people you're brining
What you're attending: (Show, Leisure, King of the Hill)

Delaware is unlike any short track in Ontario, it's HUGE with lots of space, the straights are almost 1/4 mile long with very nice smooth surface.

Come enjoy!! Post away!!

Okie doke!! Fenwick has come through with more goodies. Here's the prize distribution:

1st = $1000.00
2nd = $750.00
3rd = $250.00

Plus there will be cases of oil and other stuff for grabs for the people from SPDA that attend the event. I'll post details on those in as they develop.

It's going to be awesome!!!

Meet at Tim Hortons on Mississauga Rd & 401 @ 4:15 depart at 4:30.

See y'all there.

For those that are arriving later, I'll have the VIP tickets on hand at Delaware. Please call me on my cell when you arrive: 4 1 6 - 5 2 0 - 2 6 6 7

Thanks

JoeT
08-20-2009, 12:00 PM
JoeT - Lego, KOTH
Iso's Friend - Flat Black WRX, KOTH
Rob - AKA Caveman, KOTH
SteveD - STI, KOTH
JasV - STI, KOTH
1sti2nv - STI, KOTH
Tashko - Talon, KOTH
kfarquhar - Mustang

Spectating:
Adam Sobanski
Cheryl Sobanski
Henry Sobanski
Mel + Pokaroo
Warwagon - Chris B
Maurizio & 2 Friends
Herman + 3 friends (Cherry)
Justin

Total attendees:
Competing: 8 Possibly 9
Show and shine + Guests: 12

Total: 21 + 1 potential

STeveD
08-22-2009, 12:15 PM
I should be there. But I need lighter bits. ;-)

JoeT
08-22-2009, 12:17 PM
STeveD wrote:
I should be there. But I need lighter bits. ;-)

Vasectomy or Lobotamy?

Cavemanrjc
08-23-2009, 02:03 AM
After such a wonderfull time we had last time
Ill Be there
The 7 will be coming for the trip this time.
I'll get to use 3rd gear :cheer:
I just need to get some heaver bits :-P

Ill wash it but its not much of a show car

O and i have seen the light
I mounted a set of RA-1's this week
Night and Day differance
Im hooked now

STeveD
08-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Sounds good Rob!

Is it by chance better for you to launch that car in 2nd now that you have that much torque?

Cavemanrjc
08-23-2009, 10:14 AM
TH 350 3spd Auto compleatly built down to cross drilled case to inprove oil flow

at the time great discuion went into what valve body to run. I decided that i wanted a auto valve body, just incase someone else has to drive it

so I dont get to pick second gear starts

miatagirl77
08-24-2009, 10:31 AM

Maurizio
08-24-2009, 08:04 PM

JoeT
08-25-2009, 04:16 PM

1sti2nv
08-25-2009, 04:38 PM

Cavemanrjc
08-25-2009, 05:19 PM

JoeT
08-25-2009, 09:04 PM

JoeT
08-25-2009, 09:32 PM

isopropyl_z24
08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
So do we know if all the $ is for 1st or is there a payout for 2ed,3rd...????

JoeT
08-25-2009, 10:22 PM
We are discussing that at the moment, I'll post up the prize distribution later this week.

Cavemanrjc
08-25-2009, 11:29 PM
SPDA On the list of Sponsors for an oval event is awesome
Thanks to all the sponsors!!!!!

I Read the KOTH Rules: Street legal & Street Driven

Mines street driven, just not highway driven :)
And Ill keep the bot tel on the shelf :(

Dose anybody have a pair of 245 16" or so I could Borrow or purchase

JoeT
08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Here's a brief reminder of the last event:

Viper vs Subaru STI (Outside View)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ndp5D9XGqHg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ndp5D9XGqHg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In car view from the same race:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ndp5D9XGqHg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ndp5D9XGqHg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cavemanrjc
08-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Watch the line that the viper takes trough 3/4
the light gray pavement has no rubber on it and is usually quite slippery.

tashko
08-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I'll be making the trip with the Talon again. I like that track!

I should like it even more after I install the new turbo that just arrived today :muaha:

Also, this time I'll fill up at a Sunoco station BEFORE I get to the track. No 4th gear knock this time. :-D

//edit - Jen is going to come also so, me+1

kfarquhar
08-26-2009, 09:51 PM
One video of the Viper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWXIgoH7hs8

STeveD
08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that Mustang has more than a few ponies.

1sti2nv
08-27-2009, 10:32 AM
a lot of cars there thats good to see

warwagon
08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm going to try and make this , for the show portion only
Thanks

JoeT
08-28-2009, 11:12 AM
warwagon wrote:
I'm going to try and make this , for the show portion only
Thanks

That's perfect!!! I'll have a ticket for you..

SUBARUSHANE
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Hello All!

I am SUPER STOKED about this upcoming event. We at Glen Fenwick Subaru have been working very hard to put these events together for all of you to enjoy yourselves and get the "royal treatment" so to speak.

We are going to be DOUBLING the winners purse this time, and we are making sure that not only 1st place get's a piece of the pie, but also 2nd and 3rd place will be looked after as well. We will also be giving away some prizes to ALL SPDA MEMBERS that participate in the KOH on September 4th.

Like last time, we will be in the VIP section where you will be fed with some good food and you will also be served drinks as you overlook one of Canada's best oval tracks and enjoy the races!

Please, if you have any special requests, there is no harm in asking JoeT or myself and we will see if we can accomodate.

Please check out the FIRST post for updates (including purse amounts that have just been updated by Joe).

I look forward to seeing all of you that attended last time, and hopefully some new faces will show up - WHAT A BLAST WE HAD BACK IN JULY!!!!

Shane WItham
Sales Manager
Glen Fenwick Subaru of Sarnia

kfarquhar
08-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks Shane. All of us really appreicate everything you are doing for us. And SPDA Joe too.

I was wandering how the 2nd and 3rd place cars will be determined. With no control on how the cars line up, the two fastest cars could race in the first round, leaving the true 2nd place car on the outside looking in. Were this leaves 3rd place? ....

Double knock out would result in true 1st and 2nd place, but requires some organization on track. Don't expect that from the track staff. We tried this 2 years ago and cars were elinminated by racing the same car twice???

Rules ... The red Camaro was not out in July but was there in August. This guy is a win at all cost driver. In the final with 1/2 car lead going into turn 1, he cut me off. Hit the wall, his car or back totally out of it. Next time I told him, I will not be braking. He also cut Riian's Cobra Mustang off twice, blocking him and going on to collect the cash. Look out if he is there. Video available.

Looking forward to the event. Lets hope for a hot, dry night.

Cavemanrjc
08-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Hay You all missed 1/2 mi Practice at Mosport

For the win verses a clamed 9 sec stang without his bottle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxiC6nIdvBY

STeveD
08-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Good run, Rob! Did you find some race fuel there?

The Stang seemed to be smoking blue mid corner off throttle.

Cavemanrjc
08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
No race fuel just 91 Oct Pioneer pump gas
I like the bones bucks.

stangs smoke was breather vent not plumbed to the left side.
My smoke is a combination of oil up the dipstick tube (Its on the right side) and a leaking Fuel pump gasket (also on the right side)
damn G forces
But thats why I went, to see what i need to fix for next weekend

On a side note shift light came on in third gear on the back stretch = 175 kph

JoeT
08-31-2009, 09:36 PM
JoeT wrote:
JoeT - Lego, KOTH
Iso's Friend - Flat Black WRX, KOTH
Rob - AKA Caveman, KOTH
SteveD - STI, KOTH
JasV - STI, KOTH
1sti2nv - STI, KOTH
Tashko - Talon, KOTH
kfarquhar - Mustang

Spectating:
Adam Sobanski
Cheryl Sobanski
Henry Sobanski
Mel + Pokaroo
Warwagon - Chris B
Maurizio & 2 Friends
Herman + 3 friends (Cherry)
Justin

Total attendees:
Competing: 8 Possibly 9
Show and shine + Guests: 13

Total: 21 + 1 potential

Fentin_Fury
09-01-2009, 06:21 AM
You all have fun and be safe! No walls. This is my VIPEC swap weekend (figured I would need three days). Will be ready for Picton - see if it makes any difference :) - in the fun factor.

tashko
09-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Do the VIPEC swap now, you have three days! :hammer:

My car is in pieces at the moment but should be back together on Thursday...no new tranny though. :cry:

get'er done!

Fentin_Fury
09-01-2009, 09:54 AM
i'm still reading the manual!

SUBARUSHANE
09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi guys,

I have spoken to Paul at Delaware (operations manager) and we are working out the logistics of how the 2nd and 3rd place winners will be decided.

There are going to be some faster cars eliminated early on in the race by the potential fastest cars out there. 1st and 2nd are going to be easy to sort out as they will be in the final race, it's the 3rd place racer that I'm worried about. Paul suggested a couple of ideas, but I would like to hear your ideas first.

POST AWAY!

Shane

JoeT
09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Easiest way to do eliminations:

1) Send all the guys out for Qualifying
2) Seed the group based on their qualifying times (Fastest against slowest)
3) Then run all the cars, and let the cards fall where they may.

The key is the "Qualifying" and seeding.

The winning strategy then, lies with the driver and where they want to be seeded. (Sandbag or not to Sandbag).. Example: If you seed as the slowest car, and you eliminate the fastest car in the first match up, then that's just part of your strategy.

Team strategy can also come into play here.. Muahahhahahaha...

tashko
09-01-2009, 12:22 PM
How do they do drag racing eliminations with odd numbers? Just a lucky dog gets a by-run to the next round?

Off the top of my head:

Round 1: 14 cars -> 7
Round 2: 7 cars -> 4 (1 by-run)
Round 3: 4 cars -> 2
Round 4: loser from Round 3 run for 3rd place
Round 5: winners from Round 3 run for 1st and 2nd

Good enough? It's King of the Hill and for fun right?

BTW, big thanks to Joe, Shane, and the Subaru folks for putting these great evenings together!

JoeT
09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Tashko.

There will be 40 - 50 cars there competing. Some of them aren't very freindly.

Cavemanrjc
09-01-2009, 06:02 PM
3rd = second last loss to 1st
if you make it to the semis your quick

Ive seen it first hand its a win only atitude by some there and if thay want to play dirty.

Chang only has a 3 km drive on Friday
and flat black is cheep :)

any way King of the hill is suspost to be fun
so lets have some fun
line up the realy fast, stupid grip subies aganst the meat heads. Eleminate them early.

Just rember none of us have stock car cages or full containment seats,
or all the other safty stuff.

Drive safe, walls are hard. And keep track of ware your oponent is.

JoeT
09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Ok, a little update. Drive to the track on the tires you intend to run. There will be no tire changing on site on Friday.

DOT Tires only, I believe they will be checking this at the event.

See the rules below:
http://www.delawarespeedway.com/kingofthehillrules.php

In particular, pay attention to DOT approved tires (Street Tires) statement. If your tires show "For competition use only" they may not be allowed to run.

Just an Fyi.

Cavemanrjc
09-01-2009, 08:24 PM
ra1, 888 ?

JoeT
09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
RA-1 I wouldn't since it says "recommended for competition use" written on the sidewall. R888's don't have anything like that written on it.

Cavemanrjc
09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Well Thats dumb
I have other tires but I'll be very upset if i line up beside a set of 710's or et streets

JoeT
09-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Take a look at the rules of the King of the Hill. I'm asking for clarification on their "tire rule".

Let's see what they say.

tashko
09-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Well, seeing as how my RA-1's are my street tires I don't have a choice but to run them. I don't think RA-1's should be a problem since they are only "recommended for competition use" rather than "for competition use only."

Let us know what they say.

kfarquhar
09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Well guy, I have been going to KOTH at Delaware for a number of years now and hear is my take on how to have a fair 2nd and 3rd place winners.

The staff at Delaware will not want to have a 2 hour KOTH show after the full night of racing. Therefore time trials is out and car positioning for racing requires a lot of work to follow it though, and someone who knows the car speeds.

My solution.

Run the KOTH as closely as Delaware staff is used to running it. Line up the cars in the position they come on to the track. Run them off until you have one car left.
This is the FIRST PLACE place car, or 1st PLACE QUALIFIER. (for qualifier, one run a 1 lap race)

While each race is being run, have someone timing the slowest car (a), ie. the loosing car, and record the time. When all runs are done and 1st place is decided, you will have run times for all loosing cars.
Take the FASTEST 2 loosing cars and run them one more time.
Winner of this race is you 2ND PLACE car.
The loser is the 3RD PLACE car.

If you have time, run 2ND against the 1ST PLACE QUALIFIER for true KOTH. (2 of 3 lap) for all the money.

This should run fast and smoothly. Keep track of the fastest loosers and have them ready to go again at the end. They will likely be some of the last cars racing anyway.

Looking foward to the event, drivers be careful, money on the line brings out some crazy drivers that will win at ALL COST.

(a) Timing can be done by one person and one stop watch. Start when both cars leave, time the slowest car only. Record time and identify car. Once the timing starts you will only have to record or track the fastest 2 times. Unless the fastest 2 times recorded are beaten, you do not have to record that run.

1sti2nv
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
hey what time are you guys and gals meeting at the timmys

JoeT
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Meet at Tim Hortons on Mississauga Rd & 401 @ 4:15 depart at 4:30.

See y'all there.

For those that are arriving later, I'll have the VIP tickets on hand at Delaware. Please call me on my cell when you arrive: 4 1 6 - 5 2 0 - 2 6 6 7

Thanks

JoeT
09-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Ok, I've recieved clarification on the rules:

Tires:
Any tires with DOT are allowed to run. So the gang with RA-1's and R888's, V710's are all good to go!!

If car count is low (30 - 40) we will do double eliminations, this will provide us some leeway to have some fun and provide a show to the crowds.

Caged traliered cars without registration and insurance will "NOT" be allowed to run. So it's all street cars, and street driven cars.

Time to have fun... The strictness will be in the sportmanship, if any tom foolery is identified on the track, expect a black flag and DQ's....

There will be a drivers meeting to explain safety and rules briefly before the KOTH event.

Excellent!!!

tashko
09-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Good, so I can leave the nice RA-1's on instead of the full-tread ones :-)

Now if I can only get the bloody car together and running! :-o

Cavemanrjc
09-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Sweet
All is good in the world again :)
Thanks Joe

OK my car fits all criteria other then trailer.

Its a long drive id have to be leaving tonight to drive it there

should i still unload off side?

JoeT
09-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Okie dokie..

Today is the day.. It's going to be super fun.

Show and shine cars should please the crowd, with the showing of the Subaru Widebody Flat Black batmobile. The Warwagon, etc. etc. etc.

We'll be meeting up at Tim Hortons on Mississauga Rd & 401, then catching up to the Steve Danica just past trafalgar & 401, then meeting up with the Miatafemale and male at 403 & 401 near woodstock.

FRS's will be on 5,05

If you get there before us, please wait around until you see us, that way we'll get you your tickets for free entry into the track and into the VIP area.

Fenwick Subaru and the Western Ontario Subaru Dealers thank you for your support.

See y'all there.

SUBARUSHANE
09-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again. Let's have some fun tonight guys!

Cavemanrjc
09-04-2009, 12:09 PM
IS any body going to have a second liscenced driver with them ?
that could do a short shutell for me?

STeveD
09-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Miata male?

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachments/f18/30484d1232689603-call-me-gay-mazda-miata.jpg

Sorry Rob, my neighbour Earl had to back out.

miatagirl77
09-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't know where JoeT came up with Miata male either. He doesn't drive a Miata.... Must be all the pulled pork thoughts. Got his brain confused. LOL.

isopropyl_z24
09-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Take a look
This was the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsp5_zmit4&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upFfKQqu0pY&feature=channel

tashko
09-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Cool. I guess it was STI 1st, Viper 2nd?

I wish I could've made it. I only just got the car out for a test drive after the turbo swap, etc.

KOTH next year.

STeveD
09-05-2009, 03:34 PM
John's STi
Ken's Mustang
Steve's STi
Joe's Axlebreaker

Sir-knight
09-05-2009, 11:10 PM
man did the guy in the 2nd vid forget to hit the gas or something? o_o

Maurizio
09-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I would just like to thank Glen Fenwick and Shane for another fabulous evening. This was the best battle at a KOTH that I've attended. When the top six cars were comprised of two WOSCA members and 4 SPDA members was one of the hightlinghts. Cant wait till next year when our deadliest weapon come out to play.

Congrats John on the victory and Steve for third.

kfarquhar
09-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Great event guys. Special thanks to Fenwick Subaru and SPDA. Nice to meet Shane, thanks for the hospitallity and to Joe for all your work.

It was fun running with the Subaru's on the oval track. This would be a great place to hold a Touge event.

STeveD
09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
From inside the car.

http://www.vimeo.com/6458423

Jump ahead to 5:10 for the run I lost. The guy with the black Grand Am who I left at the line comes up for a chat first.

I uploaded it as 720p resolution.

kfarquhar
09-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Good run Steve.
Did anyone get video from the stands?
Those are impressive launches while on the rev limiter.

STeveD
09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
My Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 256MB GeForce 8600M GT laptop on Vista couldn't process that video properly in 1080p (1920 x 1200). Just to do what I did I had to go in and disable a whole bunch of services. I think that I need to upgrade. ;-)

Cheaper to get a good desktop though for the video editing. Easier to stay up to date, cheaper storage, etc.

1sti2nv
09-07-2009, 12:36 PM
i got a few video from that stand but nothing to great

Razlin
09-09-2009, 01:56 AM
John congrats on the victory! padding the treasure chest for more goodies!

1sti2nv
09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
thanks

SUBARUSHANE
09-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi all! I wanted to thank you guys for coming out to the track on Friday night! What an AWESOME show you put on!

Joe's car was a ROCKETSHIP!!! Too bad his 1000HP rated axels couldn't handle the power??!! I'm pretty sure that Joe never did ANY mods whatsoeer, he just lost so much weight that his car moves like it has 200HP more. What a difference 40lbs can make!

Again, thanks a lot guys! Joe and I are already beginning our "talks" for next year. There will be some bigger and badder things happening in Sout Western Ontario!

Shane

1sti2nv
09-09-2009, 06:07 PM
where are all the pics that the track took

JoeT
09-09-2009, 08:38 PM
FENWICK_SUBARU wrote:
Hi all! I wanted to thank you guys for coming out to the track on Friday night! What an AWESOME show you put on!

Joe's car was a ROCKETSHIP!!! Too bad his 1000HP rated axels couldn't handle the power??!! I'm pretty sure that Joe never did ANY mods whatsoeer, he just lost so much weight that his car moves like it has 200HP more. What a difference 40lbs can make!

Again, thanks a lot guys! Joe and I are already beginning our "talks" for next year. There will be some bigger and badder things happening in Sout Western Ontario!

Shane

Ahem... 48 Lbs and counting...

JoeT
09-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Here's a picture of the righ hand side axle.

The one with the splines showing is the outer side, towards the wheel. The other picture which looks like a solid bar inside a boot is the picture of the actual broken side. This was on the inside of the boot, at the inner CV joint.

Interesting!

Cavemanrjc
09-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Did that snap or just shear off the splines?
Dose not look like a broken shaft normaly dose.
to clean.

if you sheard off the splines. Good Show Buddy!
And you like Toyo Tires, Obvusly far to much grip :)

JoeT
09-10-2009, 08:08 PM
It actually snapped like that. I have had others that looked similar. The stock sizes ones that were hardened that I had custom made prior to these also broke the same way.

Speaking of grip, I have a set of tires for the lucky folks testing them, sitting at my place. Those are so sticky that the flies are trying to avoid them for fear of getting stuck.