PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor race car storage? On the cheap

shanehutton
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey guys,
I am entertaining the idea of buying a cheap race car so I can have a bit more fun and stop beating on my Volvo. If I go this route, I will need to find somewhere cheap to park the car because I only have one spot at my condo. Anyone have a spot where I could park it (and maybe fix it when it breaks)?

For that matter, anyone want to partner up and share a car?

STeveD
08-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Depends on what are you're in. I think that Tom strores Ice Racers in Minden all summer for $50.

shanehutton
08-21-2009, 08:53 AM
It would be for autocross / maybe solo1 and lapping days. Probably be using it once or twice a month. Ideally it would be within an hour of Toronto.

STeveD
08-21-2009, 09:11 AM
AdamH on the CASC-OR forums has indoor storage in Alliston.

RyanHuber
08-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Yup, and a decent shop if you want a place to work on things too!

Opal
08-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Adam's website, which lists his fees: http://www.turbo240sx.ca/facility.php

shanehutton
08-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I am looking to do things a great deal cheaper than that. More of a track beater then a proper race car. His place looks great but it would cost 1/2 of what I am thinking of spending on the car per year.

STeveD
08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
You're looking for outdoor storage near Toronto for < $28 a month? Your total budget is $680 a year?

You can make him an offer to try to get it down to $20 a month, but who would want to give access to their property and let a car rust there for less than that...?

shanehutton
08-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Where are you getting that number from? 1 year of shop use is $620 and outdoor storage is an additional $340 but it seems like they prefer people doing the inside storage so more like $1300 total. I think it's a great deal and would be all over it if I was building / maintaining a serious car. What I was trying to say in my earlier post was I can't justify spending $1000 a year to park a $2000 car. I just knew that some people were able to park their ice racers quite cheaply and was looking for something similar as this car would be a similar low budget fun car. Either way, it looks like it won't happen and I just got some new brakes for my car so I guess I will have to shelf this idea and have some fun with the Volvo.

STeveD
08-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Sorry, I didn't think the shop access payment was required. I was just thinking of the $340.

shanehutton
08-23-2009, 10:13 AM
No worries. I'm being pretty cheap as well :P
I am just having a hard time finding somewhere that I can do the manual swap on my Volvo so I am looking for other options for a fun track car. I am going nuts trying to enjoy a pretty crappy auto tranny on the track. I really miss having a laneway / garage. :(