PDA

View Full Version : Sunoco to sell 100 stations in Southern Ontario to Ultramar

STeveD
08-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Announced on BNN today, it's in the works, not finalized. This is due to the duplication of stations after Sunoco's purchase of Petro Canada. No mention of what will happen to availability of 94 octane in Southern Ontario.

I called Sunoco's Customer Service line and they're looking into it for me. (Telling them that you're a Suncor shareholder helps.) I'm hoping for a response later today.

So I looked at two cost options for continuing at 94 octane.

60L 94 octane at Sunoco at $1.18 a litre = $70.80

51L 91 octane + 9L 110 octane = 94 octane = $87.90 a tank. ($1.15 used for 91 octane)

60L 91 octane + 1 bottle Amsoil Octane Boost claims 94 octane rating = $80.50 a tank. ($11.50 used as cost for Amsoil Octane boost.)

Hrmmm. So we're looking at approximately $10 more a tank if 94 octane is no longer available.

Navigator
08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Glad I am going stand alone. A 91 Map and a 110 map :-D

If I was running the car on the street and track and couldnt switch I would just tune for 91. To much work makes cars less fun to drive.

Navigator
08-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Steve just looked, where did you find that the Amsoil brings up the octane that much? I cant find anywhere that says one bottle per tank increases it that much. There seems to be a funny play on words with stuff like

"Most users will find one 12-ounce bottle of AMSOIL Octane Boost for 15 gallons of gasoline provides the ideal performance increase."

It dosn't actually give you a mix ratio, at least that I can find.

And if anyone plans on running an additive in thier fuel they should have the car retuned to take account of the changes.

STeveD
08-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Navigator wrote:
Steve just looked, where did you find that the Amsoil brings up the octane that much? I cant find anywhere that says one bottle per tank increases it that much. ... "Most users will find one 12-ounce bottle of AMSOIL Octane Boost for 15 gallons of gasoline provides the ideal performance increase."

It dosn't actually give you a mix ratio, at least that I can find.

Scroll down on the same page that you were on. There's a chart on the bottom showing octane going up (eyeballed) from 91 to 93.6.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aob.aspx

Navigator
08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
I saw that but no where did it say how much they used to achieve that. Call it the skeptic in me, but I would love to see, its "X" L of additive for every "X" L of 91 octane gas.

JoeT
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Let's hope the merger of the 2 organizations result in the increased assessibility to 94 Octane. As some of you know, in Quebec, Petro Canada sells 94 octane at their pumps.

I can't imagine Suncor getting rid of their value differentiator (Sunoco 94) and becoming just like every other gas station.

Fingers crossed!!

DouglasM
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I wonder what proportion of Sunoco's gasoline sales are 94 octane? That number could be the key differentiator/decision maker.

Thanks to the economic downturn/recession, I've seen a lot of "premium required" cars getting filled up with 87 octane. That looks really stupid when someone has put up the money (buy or lease) for a $50k+ car, but won't spend $10 to get and keep their engine running as it is meant to be.

Cavemanrjc
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
It looks good on them when they have to pay 80+ at a shop for a scantest + diag time for a knock code
due to low octane fuel.

Nissan 3.5 S.C. are really bad for it.
but to save the 10 bucks at the pump is worth it ya know.

Sir-knight
09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
apparently petro can only sells the 94 west of montreal and montreal proper... when mortgage dude and me went east last year, we found no petro cans that had 94.