PDA

View Full Version : delema

Denali
09-06-2009, 09:27 AM
i blew the piston rings on one cylinder last week, im unsure of what direction to proceed in.

1: new pistons, keep it as is and buy a track car (used viper)

2: re-build it to my end goal specs, built engine, big turbo, big power... but still a street car

3: turn it into a track car, built engine, big turbo, big power, no interior ... not street legal , and buy a new car for my street car

dad suggested option 3 :-D ... i like option 1

is it worthwhile to make a subaru track car?

Sir-knight
09-06-2009, 06:29 PM
do you want to be competitive or just have fun? there are lots more capable competitive cars out there, moreso than subarus, but if you're looking to just have fun and an economical daily driver, I'd go option 3. Can't argue with dad :P

JoeT
09-06-2009, 07:29 PM
All depends on what you want to do with it. Kyle has converted his to a track car and races in the GT sprints. For competition on the track, its hard to beat a subaru, but its got to be done right. On Friday, the viper was knocked out on the first round with a subaru using an fmic and an 18G turbo.

First, set the goals, and mod it to the rules of the series you're going after.

Denali
09-07-2009, 06:23 PM
basically i just want to go faster :) .. dont really get off on people telling me what i can and can not do to my own vehicle, right now its for lapping days and some timed stuff like the cscs time attack, i dont really care if i always come in last in whatever class the car gets put into.

JoeT
09-07-2009, 07:59 PM
If that's ther case, then build up your motor, sleeve the block, get forged pistons and invest in axles and get a GT35R with FMIC and enjoy eating vipers for breakfast.

Navigator
09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
You have an STI motor in your car correct? Before you build up your bottom end look at a complete prebuilt hight HP bottom end (not more expensive then doing it yourself, probably cheaper) and go with a rotated 30 or 35 setup. If you plan on making it a track whore then get the oiling system right.

A Viper eh? hmmm now if you said Porsche or Vette.... :roll: :-)

Denali
09-08-2009, 05:39 PM
yes its an 04 sti engine.what do you guys do for the oil? 09 sti pump with an oil cooler, moroso pan... or dry sump? once i get the engine out and check what is damaged / worn out then go talk to gb.

Razlin
09-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Ivano,

I am in a similar situation as the OP.. 06 STI rebuild from a write off, GT30r rotated + + +

Curious by what you mean by "get the oiling system right"

I met with Joe @ a PPC meet a few weeks back and he mentioned he figured it out on his most recent engine build.

I fear loosing lubrication on road course tracking....

Joe.. love to take you out for grub and pick your brain! I have all winter to sort it out!

Adam
Razlin

STeveD
09-09-2009, 06:19 AM
... well, I'd tell you, but I don't want to take away from getting Joe or Ivano a free meal. ;-)

Dry sump sounds nice, but I don't think there's any established systems on the market yet, are there?

IMHO:

- You don't need large crank tolerances. My original motor with stock tolerances revved to 7000rpm freely and the bearings looked great when it was disassembled.
- Large Baffled Oil pan that accomodates your headers. Aim for 6L or more volume. (Moroso, Cosworth, Twin Scroll / custom)
- Cosworth oil pan baffle.
- No larger than 11mm oil pump, cleaned and shimmed.
- Oil return system for extended lapping sessions (Ixiz Concept, Crawford, etc.)
- Adequate crank case venting (can't mention this one enough)
- Open / smooth oil flow paths in block / sandwich plates
- Oil cooler with no hard 90's, minimum AN10 fitting size. Water:Oil is nice for winter driven cars but $$$. Air:Oil kits are established and cheaper.

JoeT
09-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Hey Adam,

No free meal required, we're glad to share what's left of the brain.. LOL

Razlin
09-09-2009, 06:55 PM
STeveD wrote:
... well, I'd tell you, but I don't want to take away from getting Joe or Ivano a free meal. ;-)

Dry sump sounds nice, but I don't think there's any established systems on the market yet, are there?

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Well.. http://www.accusump.com/ is the only one i have found but I only took a quick look.

- You don't need large crank tolerances. My original motor with stock tolerances revved to 7000rpm freely and the bearings looked great when it was disassembled.

Ok. Will have a chat with Ceaser regarding this point.

- Large Baffled Oil pan that accomodates your headers. Aim for 6L or more volume. (Moroso, Cosworth, Twin Scroll / custom)

Check, Moroso pan going on.

- Cosworth oil pan baffle.

$ part for what it is.. Necessary in keeping oil where it needs to be?

- No larger than 11mm oil pump, cleaned and shimmed.

Brand new still in paper 08 STI oil pump ready. Shim?

- Oil return system for extended lapping sessions (Ixiz Concept, Crawford, etc.)

Ixiz Air oil separator ready to go.

- Adequate crank case venting (can't mention this one enough)

More than the stock vents hooked up to the Air Oil separator?

- Open / smooth oil flow paths in block / sandwich plates

04 block with 06 heads.. ill check to make sure the galleries match up.

- Oil cooler with no hard 90's, minimum AN10 fitting size. Water:Oil is nice for winter driven cars but $$$. Air:Oil kits are established and cheaper.

This is the one part of my plans i haven't finalized. Toying with a Air/Oil cooler mounted above the motor in the Hood scoop kind of like the Canjam Trans Coolers.

Joe: Monday/Tuesday next week for coffee/bite to eat in the evening? I'm just around the corner from ya in wood bridge for work.

JoeT
09-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Yo Adam,

Sounds good to me, even the weekend is fine is you want to stop into the homestead for an iced tea.

Razlin
09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
^ heh Ok Johnathan!

Adam may have time on Saturday AM to drop in for some Tea!

Is JoeT available ")

JoeT
09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Actually, let's make it on Sunday morning for Tea, I'm heading to Sarnia on Saturday in the morning to pick up my car.

If you want to come for a ride and use that opportunity to chat all the way down, you're welcome to come along.

Who knows, you may even have the pilot seat in the slow family sedan to drive back to Toronto, if you want.

Razlin
09-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Damn.. Saturday afternoon I am the muscle moving my sister.

Missing out on a chance to drive the Family Sedan!

Ill ring you up Saturday to set a time for Sunday.

JoeT
09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Actually, plans changed. Car is not ready yet so it's all good if you want to come over for Tea on Saturday.

PaulH
09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Damn.. Saturday afternoon I am the muscle moving my sister.

Boy, and I thought I said mean things about my sister!

Paul