PDA

View Full Version : Debug major vibration problem

dubya_rx
09-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Any ideas on what may be causing this and how to diagnose?

Major vibration happening at 90kmh.
It's now expanded to anywhere between 80-100kmh.
Not tire related as it happens when I changed to my track tires as well.
ABS light has come on during a track session at Shannonville when I had my suspension set to stiff. It's still on. Maybe be unrelated and I'm trying to pull the ABS codes tonight.
I had replaced a drivers front wheel bearing. I noticed a small humming starting before I took my car to Canalignment a few weeks ago, and he said it was the drivers front going. I replaced the bearing and I think it was ok before the vibrations started.
The hub did not look the greatest, but was usable. Should have taken a pic.

I don't think it's bearings as its speed dependent. Although if I let off the gas at 90kmh, the vibration goes down, but does not disappear. It's a noticeable change though.

I'm leaning towards a differential problem or maybe CV joint.

Any suggestions? I'd take it to Frank and Dan but I think they're still at Targa?

Thanks,
Walter

JoeT
09-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Check the bolts that hold the driveshaft to the rear differential. They do come loose and can cause the type of vibration you're describing.

STeveD
09-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Yes, they're at Targa. If you're desperate, Matt at Hassell's on Mountainview is an intelligent, good guy.

Navigator
09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Could be your main drive shaft, I had that problem, get under and see if there is play at any of the yokes. I think I have a spare 5 speed driveshaft if you need it or want to see if that is the problem.

Nuwan
09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Is the vibration coming through the steering wheel, the shifter or through your seat?

I'd suspect something on the corner you replaced the wheel bearing on. Double check everything there, including the ABS tone ring and sensor, is the tone ring on the driveshaft or the hub? is it intact and undamaged? Double check for play on that corner and the other front wheel. Also check the CV joints on the front driveshafts.

dubya_rx
09-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Driveshaft!

Pulled the ABS codes (kinda neat) and said right front sensor bad. Swapped that sensor with the left sensor, and the ABS code switched to left front sensor. So it looks like the ABS sensor really is bad. Anyone have a right front ABS sensor unit? PM me!

Got the whole car up on jackstands, did some looking and found this. This is a video of the rear U joint.

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1238224958353" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1238224958353" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

Anyone have a spare driveshaft lying around? PM me!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Edit: I guess Subaru calls it a propeller shaft.

Navigator
09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I have to check, as I think the main driveshaft I have is for from an auto which would make it for a 6sp to R160 diff. Not sure but Nuwan may have the right one, we can wait for him to chime in later.

Glad to see you found the problem.

Forgot to add, if the ABS sensors are the same for the different hubs then I should have one that will work as well.

JoeT
09-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Look for a shop called "Cardanic" they are in north york (Weston Rd & Finch area), they can remove and replace the broken U joint for you, in most cases the same day.

tashko
09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I was just about to suggest that Joe. That's what I did. Took my shaft to them and they fixed 'er up.

Cavemanrjc
09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Hay Ive used them, even from up here we send stuff to them.
great service.

dubya_rx
09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Hmmm... I'm thinking of replacing the entire propeller shaft. Used are around $50-$100 and probably have more miles left in them than mine.