PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a probable clutch issue...

maxpie
09-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Ok, well I do believe my clutch is giving up the ghost (302,000 kil on the car) but perhaps someone here can better advise... What brought this to my attention was an attempt to do a bit of a Solo2 launch trying to get across a highway intersection from a dead stop... I stepped on the gas hard and the revs went up but the car stood still (literally)... and I could smell clutch...

Then yesterday on the highway in fourth gear at about 80 kil per hour I decided to test this again so stepped hard on the gas... the revs went from 3000rpm to 4000rpm but the car did not pick up speed the way you'd expect... instead the revs went to 4000 and then back down to 3500 revs before the car responded to the throttle...

Assuming this is clutch related (and it works fine as long as I am not attempting a quick speed up), what should I be looking for in terms of replacement?

Should I go with the OEM clutch or Bully or...? If I went for a Bully clutch (for example), what should I be looking for that would improve performance but not stress the transmission so much that I would then need to replace that?

So, basically two questions:

Is this the probable problem?
If yes, what clutch to go with?

Any advice/opinions appreciated.

Maxine

valheru
09-28-2009, 01:14 PM
It's most likely the clutch that's glazed over or just shot, as for which clutch, can't help you there.

We do have a good discount with Bully, just give them a call and they should be able to help you out.

JoeT
09-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi Maxine,

If I were you, I'd go with the stock replacement Bully. Stick with full face like the original and you're good to go.

But yes, those are exactly the symptoms of a worn out clutch. At 302K Km, it's amazing it lasted that long.

Contact Frank at Bully and you'll get the SPDA discounted price, which is much much cheaper than OEM Factory replacement clutch.

maxpie
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. Now I know its the clutch, so unless anyone else has a strong opinion about another clutch I think i will take Joe's advice.

Maxine :-)

AndrewR
09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Maxine - Take Joe's recommendation. Its great advice.

TonyKloosterman
09-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I concur, for the type of use you need it for.

Regards

Tony

STeveD
09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Yeah, the Exedy stage one is a big increase in pedal effort without a real increase in longevity. I agree on going for the Bully full face, sprung, organic OE replacement.

The question always comes up at that point if you should lighten the flywheel. I say no... Autoslalom punishes that brutally (immediate SP bump) and solosprint dings you for it as well. Better fuel economy / traffic performance with the OE flywheel. Just have it resurfaced.

maxpie
09-29-2009, 08:20 AM
The consensus IS very clear... go with Bully stock replacement.

Next question is what is a flywheel and why should it be resurfaced? Also why is it not part of the clutch that gets replaced?

Thanks again,
Maxine

TonyKloosterman
09-29-2009, 08:39 AM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

Read this and it will explain much easier then me typing it out.

Tony

STeveD
09-29-2009, 08:46 AM
BTW, I think that shop labour rates are typically 4 to 5 hours for clutch replacement on the AWD drivetrain, and flywheel resurfacing is usually an additional $60 to $80.

maxpie
09-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks everyone. I did order a Bully Clutch yesterday to be delivered to the dealer up my way. Job to be done on Monday. I appreciate all the advice/information.

Maxine