PDA

View Full Version : Tar remover - recommendations?

DouglasM
10-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Crappy Tire seems to have but one selection on the shelf, a Turtle Wax product.

(FWIW - not for my car, which now has nice, fresh paint on the bumpers and lower body)

STeveD
10-19-2009, 07:26 AM
There are a couple of detailers active on our Ottawa forum. You might want to ask the same here:

http://www.ottawasubaru.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=b1407d94f8837c32e7a3a1376362af37

I have an OLD OLD OLD bottle that I still use. I found it in my wife's garage 10 years ago when we met. It looked about 15 years old then. I have never seen it sold ANYWHERE, but it works reasonably.

Depending on what you have to remove, I would also recommend a clay bar. Clay bar was able to remove some exhaust residue from my rear bumper / license plate area. Also some scuff marks from my shoes on the side skirts, followed up with scratch remover.

----

I wouldn't write off a Turtle Wax product just because of the name. They can buy a formulation just as well as Meguiars can.

DouglasM
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Steve. I was wondering if anyone had any/knew of good alternatives to the Turtle Wax product - just in case. Canadian Tire doesn't carry "everything" and it's rare to see a selection of one in any category with them.

fuzzy
10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I bought a can of something called "Bug & Tar Remover" a few years ago - white can with blue writing. Can't remember who makes it, but I believe I got it at either Canadian Tire or NAPA.

It works pretty good.