PDA

View Full Version : Building a car - QUESTIONS - HELP!

SinglemaltWSKY
11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey all,

My father and I are starting a car project intended for racing.

We have a carbureted 302 Windsor, possible fuel injection conversion or supercharger just for fun.

Looking at possible vehicles to stuff it into.
One possibility is the BMW 318 (probably an E36). Nice short wheel base and once stripped out, light.

Some questions - not sure if anyone here knows the answers or a place to find them.
- For the E36, was it cable or hydraulic clutch?
- Torque handling of the rear end?
- Approx weight of the stock 4 pot engine and trans?

A Miata was another choice, however my knees just won't fit behind the dash.

Thoughts? Suggestions? At this point, nothing to far fetched :-)

Thanks!
J

mikewolf
11-02-2009, 01:04 PM
If you're willing to go to the trouble to put a 302 in a bmw or miata, it's really easy in comparison to make a miata fit you. With a different seat, or modifying the stock one, you should be able to fit easily unless you're over 6'4" then it's harder, but likely still possible. Also, the stock miata rear end (In a 94 and newer car) will handle the power of a stock 302.

STeveD
11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
BMW's are well known for good suspension geometry, and availability of parts. I can't speak to the engine issues, though.

There's issues in a lot of series for competing in a convertible. If you plan to go to the track, I'd try to cage something that has a proper roof on it.

If you end up going down the Bimmer route, there are a couple of Toronto race shops specializing in Bimmers. Raven Performance and others.

Maurizio
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
If you would like to go a little older, I have a E30, 1984 318 (very light) that I am trying to sell. The car's interior is mostly removed, and the car is in solid condition for its age. Let me know

SinglemaltWSKY
11-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Maurizio - can you send some pics? Possible price.
You may have exactly what I'm looking for. The fact that it's already gutted may save me a bunch of work.

Hopefully not much or NO rust :-)

I really like the E36 - the fact that they chopped the back end off etc.....but the E30 may work.

I'm 6'4" - so the miata is a tough sell.

Steve - do you have any names at Raven Performance?

JoeT
11-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Raven Performance Owner - John Dimoff

Maurizio
11-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Email sent

STeveD
11-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I've asked someone more exeperienced than I for more recommendations.

You know, there is something to be said for a buying a prepared and sorted race car. I'm not sure if this car is still for sale, but you could ask:

http://www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/forum/post.jsp?postid=1851

This would likely go for $9ish, but you'll have to find out if it already has a logbook. Not all sanctioning bodies accept chromoly cages.

SinglemaltWSKY
11-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Steve - Ohhh - I like the prep'd car - however a great deal of the fun here is building the car itself. (at least it turns my crank)

Considering an E36 325 as well - apparently the 318 shares parts with all other E36 models from the front bumper to about the a-pillar, after that, things get a little unique and a little harder to source.

Thanks for the info Joe!

Navigator
11-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Building is more then half the fun. The BMW's look great and make great track cars. Klauss would have some good input should you decide to go that direction.

STeveD
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Feedback from Rob McAuley who races an M3:

Lots of parts available aftermarket - mainly for E36.

My guy is Tom in Cambridge. 1 (416) 388-2156 or bmwusedparts@sympatico.ca

He's very responsive, and always seems to have 2 or 3 cars he's dismantling.

I use Techmax in Mississauga for all the tricky bits, and they let me do what I want to my car when it's parked there. They do tend to get busy this time of year, as they do a lot of snow tires.

Shell:
A friend started stripping down a 1998 E36 328is, but is abandoning the project. Says it would be available cheap. <email@louispayant.com>

I would recommend Fourstar Motorsports to install an FIA homologated cage. If you really want to compete, the weight savings is worth it. Ronnie O-Brien does great work, but can't meet a deadline anymore and doesn't communicate.

mikewolf
11-03-2009, 12:28 PM
If money's not an issue:
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4_63&products_id=141

SinglemaltWSKY
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Steve - Awesome information!
I will contact Tom and your second contact and your other contact may be perfect for a shell.

Vorshlag is making me salivate.....but the price tag is a little up there. :-)

Cavemanrjc
11-03-2009, 09:27 PM
First / Second Gen RX-7 is a easy swap

SinglemaltWSKY
11-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Ah - the 302 may fit in the RX-7.......but not sure I will.

JoeT
11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey Jonas, you and the caveman have something in common.. Rob aka Caveman is about 6'11.9" (or there abouts) tall and about the same physique, and he fits in the RX7 and he has a 350 in it.. LOL

Lots of room in a gutted RX7 amazingly enough.

Cavemanrjc
11-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I have a center console :) Its not completely gutted.

I'm 6'4 & over 300 lbs
mounted APC seat lower & slightly further back then stock With fully upright seat helmet touches. So I open the roof. and all is good.
if you do build something small, remember the small engine used very steep gears. 3 spd trans suck.

msix
11-08-2009, 11:50 AM
If you are talking to Louis about the shell, ask him about the AST suspension. He can bring these in from Europe.

I believe that the AST suspension I bought from Louis and put into my car last spring was THE best improvement my car ever got. It handled whatever surface there was extremly well. :-D

E30 with motor swaps are a lot of fun to drive. But you are always in MOD class with real tough competition.
Keeping the original motor with some upgrades and work on the weight of the car and the suspension is the propper way to make an E30 a real competitive car. (see SCCA DSP class)

oldguy
11-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Cage ?

Go to 'one of our own'... Scott Murfin at
Can-Alignment.

Scott can fabricate anything from a 4-pt
track-day harness bar, right up to a full
tube-frame GT or oval track car.

And he is really reasonable.

And a really great guy.

~~~

Suspension ? Talk with Rob McAuley.

AST ? Talk with Myles Williams at
RaceComp Engineering. I think that
you'll be interested in what he has to
say about the relative merits of ALL
the various European offerings.

Good luck !

SinglemaltWSKY
11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Here's a question - is there any way (with an E36) to tell if the rear-end is posi? Would the VIN contain information about that option?

SinglemaltWSKY
11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Never mind - no LSD as a factory option from 96 to 99.

SinglemaltWSKY
11-11-2009, 04:41 PM