PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or turbo rebuild for 06 Legacy GT

mikewolf
11-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I have a friend whose LGT needs new seals in the turbo (I'm guessing, it smokes a lot). Does anyone have anything that will bolt up or know where to get it rebuilt.

JoeT
11-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Do you know if he has any modifications to his car, the "smoking" may not be the turbo. Put it this way, if he put a manual boost controller on there and turned up the boost without adjusting the tune (AFR + Timing) then it could be the ringlands.

The VF series turbo's are pretty robust and don't require servicing for a Looooooooooooong time even when abused.

mikewolf
11-04-2009, 05:27 PM
The car is stock with 35k on it. It doesn't seem to be making any boost. and it smokes for about 10 seconds on startup. There is oil in the exhaust and some leading into the intercooler.

Dealer won't cover the repair since there are no oil change records.

JoeT
11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Since he's going to be paying for the repair, it's worth it to get a leakdown test on the car. No sense in changing the turbo without confirming if that's the problem.

There are a few reasons he'll get oil in the intercooler:

1) Exessive blowby from the engine, forcing oil out the vents, and into the recirc.

2) Broken ringlands causing item 1, and forcing oil out the exhaust pipe at the same time.

At 35K, go to another dealer, and contact Subaru Canada, if there is certainly no mods to the car, they will cover it.

JoeT
11-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Mike,

There's a nice turbo for sale here: http://www.ottawasubaru.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20008

Rajesh
11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Mike,

My dealer questioned my oil change records as well. he wanted me to bring the oil and filter receipts. They accepted that.

But mind you I was only missing one or two. I used to do alternate or mid 5k oil changes at home.