PDA

View Full Version : Car building - qualification questions

SinglemaltWSKY
12-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Hey,

I've purchased the project car, the engine is now in the build phase - I have some questions regarding requirements for various racing series.

Are there any major considerations (IE things we should definitely NOT do) to keep the car legal for various racing series?

Because I'm fairly new to this, I'm not sure what is considered regulation - or not allowed in certain series. I want the car to be "well rounded" so we can enter it and try different events.

We are considering:

roll cage (any specifications that need to be met? planning to purchase a kit and weld it in ourselves)

possible window replacement (if we go with no glass, does that exclude us from any events? lexan being the alternative)

exhaust placement and sound level (any regulations on placement of the exhaust, I know there are Db restrictions so mufflers will be needed)

The car is going to be trailered.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Cheers,

Navigator
12-04-2009, 10:38 AM
What car did you buy, and what type of events to you plan on running?

How much horsepower and what size tires do you plan on running?

Need more information to give you a fair response.

SinglemaltWSKY
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Wheel and tire package have not been decided yet (we're still early on the build)

Car is a 1997 BMW 328SI, with a 302 Ford windsor (carbureted) - planning on initial 300 HP. The stock interior will be totally removed, along with all other non-essentials.

The event question is a good one - thinking autocross but ideally I would like to be able to enter this car in all kinds of different events to try them out - that's why I need to know what kind of considerations need to be taken in the build.

I don't want to spend all that time building only to find out that I won't qualify to race in any events (or very few) :-)

tashko
12-04-2009, 06:41 PM
You really have to pick what events you might try and read the rule books:

Autoslalom - CASC-OR rules ; CAC rules ; SCCA rules
Road Racing - CASC-OR rules ; SCCA rules ; NASA rules
Time Attack - Redline rules ; NASA rules ; ATTS rules ;-)
Hillclimb - SCCA rules
Rally - CARS rules; NA-rally rules

If you build to meet all the rulebooks you probably will only be competitive in one series or not competitive in all of them if you have to make concessions to be legal for everything.

The only common thing I can think of is almost all series' require the exhaust to exit behind the driver.

SinglemaltWSKY
12-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks - are these rule books online? Road racing and time attack probably interest me the most.

SinglemaltWSKY
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I guess what I'm looking for - who's set of rules do I follow? Is the solosprint rule book a good rule of thumb for other events?

JoeT
12-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Solosprint Rule Book as well as the CASC-OR Autoslalom Rule book. Go for the gusto!!

SinglemaltWSKY
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
awesome - thanks Joe - I really enjoyed the Nav event this weekend. My navigator bailed at the last minute, but I learned a whole lot running CPs. Newan provided me with a wealth of information.

I have a copy of the 2009 SoloSprint rules, and will download the CASC-OR Autoslalom book as well.

I've asked santa for all kinds of parts :-)

JoeT
12-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the obsession... LOL

Get the prenupts out, quicly!!!

SinglemaltWSKY
12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
One more question,

Considering we are doing an engine swap in rwd, is there a certain class that we should be aiming for within CASC and Solo?

I don't really care if we're dead last in every event - so long as we're not nuisance to more experienced racers in that class. Just want to come out for a good time, loud noises and the biggest G's I can push.

Navigator
12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Jonas

Prep your car to the road race regs. It will be fine for almost any series anywhere other then rally. And the fact that it is a BMW means it probably wont be a rally car anytime soon. I know of at least one BMW similar to yours that is running in Sprints and if you would like I can get you in touch with the owner.

Dont scrimp out on safety stuff, it is not worth it in the end.

Spend the time getting all the tar matting and seam sealer out, it is worth it especially in an older car where we have found rust forming that would have been visible if it was left in.

More later... BTW post up some pics.

SinglemaltWSKY
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Great advice - thanks - I think I have the information I need for now to at least start planning the end result.

The block has been honed, new bearings, new cam, forged internals. Still looking for a new carb - as well as some options for the rear diff as the stock BMW diff is not LSD (found a place online that sells LSD rebuild)

The car is sitting in a barn at the moment, the front fenders and rear trunk lip need a little TLC but my Dads a pro when it comes to body work.

This winter we're building a jig for the body so we can swing it "rotisserie style" and work on all corners easily.

Wheels and tires are also on the list.

Needless to say - if you know anyone looking for OEM E36 bits, I'll be selling off a whole lot (rear seats, dash, center console, seats, wheels, drive-train)

mikewolf
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Well, it looks like there will be another dmod autox car. It really is the best class, you'll have fun.