PDA

View Full Version : Solo2 to Solosprint

valheru
12-12-2009, 01:37 PM
In a nut shell, what is needed (i.e. flame suit, tech inspection, new numbers, etc.) to go from Solo2 to Solosprint for a couple of events, more specificaly the Shannonville ones?

Just wondering if it's within my budget for next year or not. What is the average cost for a typical two day event?

JoeT
12-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Nothing extra is required. Tech inspection is at every event, numbers can be reused if it's available. Must wear long sleeve outfit with long pands. Other than that, it's a "run what ya brung" street car type of event.

tashko
12-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe some better pads depending on if what you have now can handle three hot laps on the track or not.

STeveD
12-12-2009, 03:58 PM
You will need to sign off on an annual inspection:

http://casc.on.ca/uploadedFiles/2009_Safety_Checklist090310203939.pdf

Plus you have to bring this to every event:

http://www.casc.on.ca/uploadedFiles/Bulletin_2009-03_-_SelfTech_form090815115425.pdf

You will get a logbook at your first event from the scrutineer. You'll then have to bring that logbook to every event.

Tashko's right, you might want some better brake pads.

Then there's the camping option because almost everything is a two-day weekend. Can't crack the beer open until after the track is officially closed though. :-)

valheru
12-12-2009, 04:14 PM
-I'm currently running Hawk HP+ and it's those pads that I use for trackdays.

-Camping at a local site or on the track property? If on the property, I assume there is no camp fires allowed.

BTW, no beer for me, but I do enjoy a line or two on the hood of my car while it's cooling off betwen run groups! Nothing like blow mixed with hot engine fumes, except for street racing in school zones at 3pm on weekdays, that's the best EVAR!

All joking aside, thanks for the info guys.

One question for the long sleeves/legs, I assume that a run of the mill mechanics jumpsuit is suitable? How about racing gloves or are "Mechanic's" gloves OK?

STeveD
12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Natural fibre jumpsuit over shorts and muscle T is fine. :-)

Gloves are your choice.

If your motor is not stock, such as a tune, stage 2, etc. and you have over 5 ePIPs of modification, you might also want to consider the dyno plot option.

valheru
12-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll dive more into the rules this spring.

By then, my 2005 N/A 2.5RS should have Yoshio cams, Cobb EL header and high flow cat, Gord Bush multi-angle valve job, custom intake, 2-1/4" cat-back, a tune and underdrive crank pulley.

So I'll probably have a Lachute or KVR dyno plot regardless if I need one or not for Solosprint.

msix
12-14-2009, 09:19 AM
COST:
You need to be a member of a CASC affiliated Club like SPDA, (~$50)
You need a CASC Class 'C' license (~$60)
IF you register early enough the cost will be ~$110 per day (I have not seen the new prices for 2010) The earlier you register, the better the price, Walk-ins are ~$140 (?)

Easiest and cheapest is if you can register for all that at the Registration day, usually the beginning of April, somewhere in Toronto (CSC Racing?)

Serge
12-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Spring Open House location is being discussed, we will post it as soon as it becomes clear.

Campfires are allowed.. our biggest problem is actually finding things to burn. I still remember how 10 drunken racers tried to lift my car and throw it in the fire.. thank god German cars are fat and heavy...

also, for mods, it is highly suggested you mod your car as little as possible if you actually want to learn and be somewhat competitive.

Make sure to invest into brakes and tires before you invest into your engine.

tashko
12-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Serge wrote:
Campfires are allowed.. our biggest problem is actually finding things to burn. I still remember how 10 drunken racers tried to lift my car and throw it in the fire.. thank god German cars are fat and heavy...

That's hilarious...I can picture it! :lol: