PDA

View Full Version : Centre Diff - failed

tashko
12-25-2009, 01:26 PM
So, I've noticed pulling into my driveway (left turn) the last week that the outside front tire seemed to skip/slide which I thought was due to the patch of ice I've been driving over all week.

Just happened to drive in a cul-de-sac last night and the outside tire was not happy again. So, diff problem it seems.

Car is fine cruising and I haven't noticed anything during low-medium steering angle turns.

I believe my car is open front, viscous centre, and viscous rear. (96 Leggy)

Since I most likely need to change the centre diff, I read that there is an STi version viscous coupling that fits my car. I guess pre-99 style centre diff. and VC. Does it exists? Would it be a good/bad change to make?

I also read people talking about a FWD fuse...I'm assuming that is for automatics?

...still a scooby newbie :-D

JoeT
12-25-2009, 02:00 PM
The 4kg center diff is easy to change, we did this on Daniels car when he had the RS on my driveway. It took about 1.5 hrs, and most of that was chatting and goofing off time.

But yes, you can get the 20Kg RS VLSD to put in, but it's of no use unless you were rallying on loose gravel with slightly higher HP than a 2.2L flat 4 will produce.

I'm betting you can find one pretty cheap at Fourstar Motorsports.

tashko
12-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I sent a note to 4* to see what they have. I'll stick with the regular VC then.

It's a good thing our highways are straight!! I'll take the largest arc around every turn until I get it fixed. :-D

Daniel
12-25-2009, 09:22 PM
tashko wrote:
It's a good thing our highways are straight!! I'll take the largest arc around every turn until I get it fixed. :-D

LOL... for about a week after my center diff went on the RS I had to make a 3 point turn to get into my driveway.... the neighbours must have thought I was nuts... :-D

I do remember it being a pretty easy fix (with Joe's help - mind you)....

tashko
12-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I have to drive to Owen Sound tonight and I'll be swinging by 4* on Monday. Hopefully nothing goes BOOM in the next 600kms!