PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with E-test experience??

Chris_Martin
01-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Have a unique one.

Rally car.

Only form of muffler or cat is at the rear bumper (high flow cat)

Running on Ethanol

Must pass e-test

Should i even bother trying to test as is?

Or go start cutting, welding, etc to put a "stock" exhaust on it.

Anyone recommend a place to take it?

STeveD
01-14-2010, 02:01 AM
You can ask them to do it for "analysis purpose" to see how far off you are. Make sure you're clear that you don't want it communicated to the MTO. If there's no prayer of passing just with your late cat and E85, go for the $350 E-Test option.

Chris_Martin
01-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Is the Analysis the same 35 bucks?

I can get the cat glowing cherry red...but i need to drive it like a stage to get there...

I may swing by the place i've taken it before and chat.

JoeT
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
You can probably contact my friend and ask them to put it on the sniffer for an analysis phase. Jack Tanenbaum, aka Jacks Automotive located on Roselawn.

Explain to him that you have a rally car that runs alcohol and you don't know if it'll pass so you need to put it on a sniffer.

From there, when you have your figures, you'll know what to do. Offer him an hourly rate for his tech and sniffer.

Jack's Auto at 416-789-7577

Let's see if he'll go for it.

Cavemanrjc
01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Most Shops will charge a Emissions diag flat rate
around a 100 bucks

Glowing on a rally stage is one thing,
but with the 120 sec pre condition and say the same for the test at a top RPM of 2500 no load
Its AWD right? if so its a 2 speed idle test so you wont make any NOx, but the cat at the rear will likely never get hot enough to light off the HC & CO bed, need close to 500 deg inlet gasses to even start to work, high flow or not.

Thats why the O.E. puts them realy close to the ports of the head. Combined with the greater restriction helping to generate even more heat and increasing there efficancy even more

Good luck

Navigator
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Think blowtorch on the cat for 5 minutes, but you still have to find a place that will "work" with you.

Chris_Martin
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
It is AWD.

I have spoken to people who have gone into an e-test with a WRX and passed with no cats, some on a standalone ECU some not.

The alcohol by nature should have less tailpipe emissions than gasoline.

I guess i don't have much to loose. $35 for an e-test...if it fails, i know atleast how bad it was, and go jimmy rig a cat into the exhaust closer.

Nuwan
01-14-2010, 09:13 PM
I think you have a fair chance at passing if it isn't overly rich at idle... but I think you'll need to move or put a stock cat just after the downpipe. Good luck!

AlmostHip
01-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Chris, I was able to get my wagon to pass catless, so to speak.

get it tested and if it fails then you have your options, as you said relocate cats with stock exhaust ect.

the way I went was failed first e-test$35, took car to drive clean repair facility, $90 inspection fee standard and they recomended, new injectors, ecu, cats, all stuff that was priced over the $400-500 (can't remember exact) limit. Took the car back to test facility with the repair estimate papers, $35 for retest, failed again obviously and issued conditional pass.

isopropyl_z24
01-15-2010, 11:49 AM
If you fail and take it bact to the first place you went to the retest should only be $15.00

Chris_Martin
01-21-2010, 10:29 AM
K..

so i haven't even tried yet...but....

I've heard mention that it's possible to test as a "HOTROD" which will effectively triple the passable limits.

My question is. How far does this "HOTROD" message go? Does it go far enough that the ministry will raise an eyebrow?

What about Ins Co.??

The VIN for the car pulls up that it's 2wd, and i already have to tell the guy it's 4wd and they do the idle test. Is this the same thing?

Cavemanrjc
01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
To be classed hotrod the engine must not have been a factory option for that chasie. Any year of that chasies generation.
what it dose is widen the ranges substancial.
generaly hc-150 co-1% and 500/1000 ppm of NOx
or somthing like that

Make sure the Tech knows that its a swap.

Chris_Martin
01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Well that does apply.

Will the "hotrod" status" raise the limits by the 150, 1?

Or will those be the limits?

I dug up the old e-test i had 2 years ago on the car, and the limits were HC 200, co 1.0%. NOX was no measured for the 2 speed idle.

interestingly my WRX is 150hc and .75% limits (10 year newer car)

Cavemanrjc
01-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Well basicly its set up so dirty old v8s can pass
so as a hotrod you should be good
and running the nice clean e85 its worth a try