PDA

View Full Version : Headlight issue

MalcolmV
01-14-2010, 09:21 AM
So, last week my driver side headlight went. Picked up some after market bulbs.

Last night removed old bulbs and put in new ones. Turned on the headlights, driver side still not working!

Plugged in old 'working' bulb, nothing.

Talked to Service Manger at dealer; told me to check fuse as there is a separate fuse for each headlight.
Pulled fuse, and put in new one ... nothing.

Think it's a wiring issue. Taking car in on Sat!

Anyone know of anything else I can check?

Malcolm V.

Navigator
01-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Ground issue probably.

It is very possible that one of the grounds has corroded and isn't creating a clean connection. See if you can trace back and find grounds to unscrew them, sand the connection and chassis and rebolt it back together. Then check the standard connections an go so far as to unplug the connectors, use some electrical cleaner and then die electric grease the connections before putting them back together. Not very often you find a Subaru with wiring problems.

STeveD
01-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Ground is a good idea. You have a separate light bulb for High Beam, right? Does that work?

Do you do have HID's on that model?

MalcolmV
01-14-2010, 10:22 AM
High beam works. No HID on the car. Lighting system is stock. I'll see if I can get to the car today. Have a few things to do this evening. I've got a appt at dealer scheduled for Sat morning if I cannot solve this myself.

Thanks for the suggestions.

STeveD
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
The diagram below is for the Impreza, not the Legacy. IF (and that's a big IF) they used the same wiring style, the LF bulb appears to ground after the DRL switch along with the RF. So it shouldn't be the chassis ground.

IF, and this is a big IF, the diagrams are the same for both models and you checked the correct fuse (the high beam didn't work on the LF side when you pulled it), try swapping the MB-3 with MB-2 if they appear to be the same specification.

If the problem remains on the LF low beam only with high beam working, then I think you may have a pin connection problem. If you have H1 bulbs in there, I think the ground is through the frame of the bulb mounting surface... so yes, check the wire to that surface.

Cavemanrjc
01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Clip your test light to the + batt post and check if you have ground at the socket, if not find the DRL modual and check (back probe plug) there, if still no ground suspect DRL modual

Very commin on hondas
Id think the moduals probably all come from tiwan :)