PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Survey/Evaluation

Navigator
02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
I am contemplating using a different brake pad for this coming year and am hoping we can collect some information and have a thread about brake pads to help evaluate what people are using and real feedback. We all seem to compete in the same types of events and could benefit from learning from others.

I think the following criteria works but if anyone thinks there is something I am missing let me know and I will update the post.

Car:
Weight: Car ;-)
Brake Setup: Stock, Brembo, 4pot, Stoptech...
Rotors:
Front Pad: Company and Compound
Rear Pad: Company and Compound
Tires:
Brake Fluid:
Usage: Street, Autoslalom, Track, Rally
Cold / Hot Bite:
Fade:
Pad Wear:
Rotor Wear:
Dusting:
Other:

Navigator
02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Car: 04 WRX
Weight: 3200 lbs
Brake Setup: Stoptech ST40 Front, STi Brembo Rear No ABS
Rotors: Stoptech slotted fronts and DBA slotted rears
Front Pad: Hawk DTC-70
Rear Pad: Hawk DTC-70
Tires: Hankook 214's
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF600
Usage: Track
Cold / Hot Bite: Cold bite was ok required a good lap to get up to temps. Hot bite was very linear and aggressive. Even with the lack of ABS I was able to modulate the pedal to try and achieve maximum braking without locking the tires up.
Fade: Non experienced
Pad Wear: Good
Rotor Wear: Not aggressive, minor wear
Dusting: Yes a fair amount but cleaned up with soap and warm water even after being on the rims all summer.
Other:
Good pad, worked as advertised. Not ideal for any situation other then competition or aggressive lapping. I would not suggest running the pads on the street (I did to one track day) as they do not get up to temperature and will wear more then normal.

Sir-knight
02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Car: 07 2.5i
Weight: 3200-ish lbs
Brake Setup: 2/1pot oem
Rotors: whitebox rotors front, oem rear (will be going to whitebox in the rear this spring)
Front Pad: porterfield r4s
Rear Pad: Hawk porterfield r4s
Tires: RA1s 225/50/15 on 15x7 and 225/50/16 on 16x7 and kumho ast 225/45/17 on 17x8, toyo g02 195/65/15 on 15x6
Brake Fluid: ATE gold or blue
Usage: street and autoX, light track
Cold / Hot Bite: Cold bite in the winter initially can be a bit scary if you need to panic brake, drag the brakes for a hundred meters or so to put heat in the rotors and pads. Cold bite in the summer is superior to oem pads. (supposedly comparable to hawk hp+ but I haven't used hawk to make the comparison) Hot in the winter behaves similar or better to oem. Hot in the summer, some really nice bite seen at DDT and autox(try to warm them up if you can... experienced a few o_O moments with cold brakes in ottawa.)
Fade: Haven't gotten them to fade yet
Pad Wear: seems really good, had them on for almost 2 seasons now under street and track usage, they seem to last a while
Rotor Wear: looks to be about the same as oem
Dusting: Wax the wheels prior to switching, they do dust, apparently not as bad as hp+ but after a few weeks your front wheels are pretty brown. Dust doesn't seem to bake on at all after a few weeks, was able to wipe it off with a bit of soap and water.

Other:
Feels like a good compromise for the weekend racer. It's a nice street pad that is an upgrade over stock that will do pretty well up into spirited lapping, possibly do well for beginner solosprints since it's rated to be comparable to the hp+

They don't make any noise like hp+ do.

STeveD
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Weight: 3500 with Driver
Brake Setup: Stock Brembo, front knockback springs
Rotors: EBC UR vented blanks
Front Pad: Hawk DTC-70
Rear Pad: PFC 97
Tires: Toyo
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF 600
Usage: Track - Mosport
Cold / Hot Bite: Streetable bite, Hot has progressive engagement
Fade: Not really, Sort of... transfers an uneven material layer to the rotor that starts to vibrate at higher rotor temperatures. No vibration when cold.
Pad Wear: Good for what I did to it.
Rotor Wear: Good, no significant wear
Dusting: Good for a track pad, not corrosive like Ferodo DS3000
Other: Great feel, but I'll have to add ducting to fix this bloody vibration.

Weight: 3500 with Driver
Brake Setup: Stock Brembo, front knockback springs
Rotors: EBC UR vented blanks
Front Pad: PFC 97
Rear Pad: PFC 97
Tires: Toyo
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF 600
Usage: Track - DDT
Cold / Hot Bite: Good cold bite for Autoslalom, but they throw sparks cold, Hot has progressive engagement
Fade: Oh yeah, pad fade, not fluid. Lap 3ish, on an open configuration of the DDT. I knew these weren't the right front pad for such a small track, but that's the fun of testing. But they worked well as a rear compound.
Pad Wear: Good for what I did to it.
Rotor Wear: Fair, from all the sparks, I thought there would be nothing left of it
Dusting: Heavy, corrosive, but not as bad as Ferodo DS3000's. Easier to remove from wheel after it gets wed and hardens.
Other: I LOVE how these pads keep the rotor clean from vibration, a chronic problem with the STi. Sparks look good on KOTH night.

More later...