PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good lug nut?

BryceD
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I have a set of Lenso 17" wheels that I'm using this year for AutoX.

The lug holes are narrow... very narrow. I've been using a set of lug nuts with an female hex drive on them. I don't know if any other lugs will even fit. I don't really like them, they don't thread on very easily, and I don't really like the internal key.

They're crappy, but I've resigned myself to using them, because after this set of r-comps are done, I'm going to get rid of the wheels.

If anyone has some good ideas of lugs that might work, I'm all ears.

Second to the 17" Lensos, I have a set of summer wheels that will be on/off at every event as the Lenso's get used. I don't have any other lug nuts besides OEM at the moment.

What lug nuts do you recommend for a set of wheels that will be removed/installed 10+ times per season?

Good/bad experiences with other 'tuner' lugs?

Any problems with aluminum/alloy lugs?

Are there any features of high end lugs that are really worth it? (spinning seat, protected/covered drives, knurled ends, etc)

Thanks!

oldguy
02-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Parents !!

:nanana:

STeveD
02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
oldguy wrote:
Parents !! :nanana:

You're either getting more brilliant, or more senile. I can't tell, but I don't understand you. :-?

Bryce, I've never stripped a set of longer plain Jane Tire Rack lug nuts that they send with new sets of rims. The chrome is pretty resistant, too.

This won't solve your Lenso issue, but long term you don't want to need a key. Keys break. Keys get lost. SOMEONE at AutoX will ALWAYS have a 19mm or 3/4" drive if you forget / lose yours. Yeah, one McGard nut on there if you park outside at night or in an underground without security.

BryceD
02-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah I've never had a problem either, but this is probably the first time I've needed to actually buy a set of lugs, so I figured I'd take a look at everything available, and see what's worthwhile (or not!).

Navigator
02-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I am using Muteki SR48 extended open ended.

They are ok, but are not anything ultra slick made of unobtanium. I probably had them on and off the car 25 times last year. I only use my impact gun and on occasion they have gotten stuck in the socket (easily removed). Realizing that I was just using a standard 17mm socket of not the best quality (The adapter they give works well). I would gather that if I got a socket that was a little more snug it would be fine.

They are avaiable from JRP, in regular length and extended (had to be ordered). Compared to the other aftermarket nuts these were very affordable.

The key to keeping everything working well is a touch of antiseize (I put a little on maybe once a season), making sure the threads are always pretty clean and starting them a few threads by hand.

If you need you can borrow the tool to see if it fits easily in your rims.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk228/TigerSharkDude/lugs.jpg

oldguy
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Ivano's post proves my point ->

His parents made a great lug nut !

Cavemanrjc
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
We use Gorilla nuts. Open ended for the long studs on the Z24. Inexpensive, Nice key good plating
around $50 for a set

BryceD
02-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I've been recommended to avoid aluminum lugs, just based on softness, especially for regular install/removal.

Sounds like a Muteki or Gorilla plain steel set is what I'm after (probably open ended). Thanks Ivano and Rob!

Sir-knight
02-09-2010, 01:09 AM
I use mcguard bulge acorns... yes my nuts are bulged.

the bulge acorns have a wider seat but the actual hex is smaller, and you can get these in 19 mm, combine these with an inexpensive thin walled 19mm socket from CT or princess auto and you might have a winning combo to get your new bulged nuts deep into those holes... ahem.

vinnie_mack
02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
i found with the aluminum lugs the edges go to shit pretty quickly.. then again they make you go real fast so it's ok.

elementZ
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I used the same style lugs as Ivano Posted, but their closed end verison. My rims have a very small lug opening, and the good thing about those lugs is the socket OD is pretty small. It may be a bit weak, but at least its a standard size. The socket is pretty tight in my rims though. The rim has to stay square to the lugs, or else the rims rub toe socket.

The gorilla lugs are alot smaller in diameter. They give me alot more room, but its a non-standard key. If you do get the gorillas, then just buy another key. Its standard, and they are cheap.

Cavemanrjc
02-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I have 4 sets of the Gorilla nuts on friends and family rides and ya the different keys are kinda a pain
It's too bad they don't make a standard spline drive version

elementZ
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small.diameter.lugs.and.locks.page_13

thats what I have....I think they are a standard drive set.

vinnie_mack
02-22-2010, 05:36 PM
i wish gorilla offered a standard "tougher" coating like an oxide instead of plating. I just find the plating chips off after a couple runs with the gun and they start rusting.

these guys offer hardened steel race lugs but probably won't fit in a smaller diameter opening

link (http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/the-34/M12x1.5--dsh--Conical,-Hardened/Detail)

Sir-knight
02-22-2010, 05:42 PM
one thing about spline drives is that you can't use an impact to get them off, keys have been known to break. Adds a lot of time at the track if you're changing wheels to do them by hand, specially on those really hot sunny days when your face melts in the sunlight. Or... for those really rainy days where it looks like we're boating rather than autocrossing.

BryceD
02-26-2010, 11:30 AM
For spline drive lugs, I liked the McGard style a bit better (90° spline), and it's a little bit more secure than a standard hex.

The muteki's seem tough enough to handle regular impact gun removal, but then its' pretty simple if someone wanted to walk away with them (I don't like the round lock lugs with the internal 'lock groove' cut into the face).

Do wheels even get stolen in suburban GTA?