PDA

View Full Version : Tires

-MPR-
03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey, my first post, so here goes:

I'm looking for the best tire I can get for under $100 per tire (installed).

Vehicle is a 2000 civic SiR with some mild mods, basic suspension upgrades (soon to change...) dropped about 2.5" from stock.

Mostly used for daily driving and the ocassional track day and 'spirited driving'. I have snow tires, so I don't want dedicated all-seasons.

Size I need is 205/50R15. So far the best tire I could find in that price bracket is the falken ziex ZE912. I have had the ZE512's before and didn't like them much. I've done quite a bit of reading and searching around and a lot of people say the 912 is a much better tire then the 512. Other similar tires in other brands seem to all be more money, $120+.

What do you guys think? Have any of you used the 912 or know of a better tire for around $90 a pop? Oppinions?

Thanks.

Mike.

JoeT
03-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Check out the General Exclaim UHP, most were surprised at how well they gripped for the type of tire it is. High UTQG, good wet ratings made by Continental and they are cheap.

$69.00 / Tire at tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=50&diameter=15&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&manufacturer=General&x=13&y=11

-MPR-
03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks Joe, I'll take that into consideration.

What about the Ecsta AST's? Anybody know if they are any good?

JoeT
03-18-2010, 01:49 PM
AST's are All Season tires though.. Hummm Not max performace summers.

Robin
03-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I have those kumho ast 205-50-16 on my impreza rs.... it's mainly used for street driving as i have race tires for track/solo2.

At the racetrack (mecaglisse, north of montreal), it's like a big solo2 track but a little faster... i set up a track day and didn't bring my race tires, as it was raining all day (race tires had no groves left)... and was surprised... that even in heavy rain, they were decent... considering the $$. only under heavy downpour, the car started to understeer....

I wouldn't consider them as all-season tires... as they're junk if there's any snow on the ground. treadblock is very much like a high performance tire but they don't have the ultimate grip (harder compound)...

For what i paid, i like them... to use at the track? on a dry day? probably suck... but for usage, they're perfect....

_sjd
03-18-2010, 02:04 PM
A set of Falken Azenis RT-615 for $244 U.S.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/fyi-azenis-on-killer-sale/20049/page1/

Sir-knight
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I did the forza 3 event with asts, it was cold and wet, I might have also used them for a few demo runs at an autox school for a couple runs, they weren't very happy either way with hard pushing, It's an excellent priced street tire, but I wouldn't trust it on a track for any length of time unless it was raining.

-MPR-
03-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Had a look at the ast's, and just from looking at then they look like they'd be good in the wet, but that's about it. They also look like they'd be noisy... But I haven't used them so I can't speak for them.

There are a lot of tires out there labeled "all seasons" eventhough they would be completely useless in snow...lol.

Everything I price out is out of my budget, even cheap all-seasons from crapy tire and walmart! :(

Looking for used tires now...anything really.

Just had to buy new front brakes for the civic, so my tire budget just dropped even more! ARG! lol

Steve, thanks for that link. I'll look into that again. I looked at getting tires from them before but after they add on the extra costs to ship to canada it ended up costing the same as it would here. And there could other extra costs as well. I ordered 2 H4 headlight bulbs from rallylights.com for about $10 a bulb. Shipped to my door it ended up being almost $60 all said and done. lol

-MPR-
03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Just checked discount tire direct.com again.

They do have a fantastic deal on the 'old' RT615's right now in my size, however, the canadian tarriff fees of $160 just kills the deal...

Will definitely keep them in mind for the future though.

mikewolf
03-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Ship to usaddressinc.com
no us tarriff fees, just gst and pst

STeveD
03-19-2010, 11:46 PM
-MPR- wrote:
I ordered 2 H4 headlight bulbs from rallylights.com for about $10 a bulb. Shipped to my door it ended up being almost $60 all said and done. lol

Not sure which ones you ordered, but I get Hella bulbs from Paul Henshall. Paul at hslrallysport dot ca He's located in Brampton. 905-601-1519

-MPR-
03-21-2010, 03:23 PM
^^Cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

I ended up getting a set of Durun A2000's for $314 mounted and balanced.

After driving on them for a day, I'm very surprised how much grip they have and how comfortable and smooth they are. I can honestly say the have more dry and wet grip then the ze512's had when they were new!

Now I need to learn how to roll my front fenders as these rubbers are a bit taller then the last set I had...little bit o rubbage when cornering sharply...