PDA

View Full Version : WRX seat bolt gave

fuzzy
03-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi folks,

Driving in to work this morning, one of the bolts/screws holding the left side of the drivers seat gave way (note: its not the big-ass bolts that hold the seat frame to the floor).

I think I have 3 bolts/screws holding the seat in. Needless to say I am driving ginergerly home today.

Does anyone know if there has been any type of recall/advisory regarding this?

What do you think are my chances of having Subaru fix it?

Navigator
03-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Is the bolt broken or maybe it came loose over time? Would love to see pictures as I have never heard of one of the seat bolts coming loose.

fuzzy
03-22-2010, 10:24 AM
It's possible.

When I get home I'll take a look and see if it came loose or broke.
Don't have the gear to do this at work in the parking lot.

Hopefully there's no rain today when I take the seat out and remove the frame.

Navigator
03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
It could also be the part that locks the adjustment in place. When you pull the handle to adjust the seat there is a cable that unhooks the left side. If the cable breaks it may leave it unhooked. You will know once you have it out of the car.

Daniel_Buehler
03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
RECALL: 2002 - 2003 Subaru Impreza
NHTSA Campaign Number: 04V342000 www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Manufacturer SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC.
Recall Date: JUL 09, 2004
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 84574

Description SEATS
Summary ON CERTAIN SEDAN AND WAGON MODEL VEHICLES, THE LEFT FRONT BOLT THAT RETAINS THE FORWARD PART OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT TO THE SEAT SLIDE RAIL MAY LOOSEN. IF THE SEAT SLIDE RAIL BOLT LOOSENS, IT WILL EVENTUALLY FALL OUT, AND THE SEAT MAY SEPARATE FROM THE SEAT SLIDE.
Consequence IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE DRIVER MAY SUSTAIN MORE SEVERE INJURIES DUE TO THE SEAT MOVEMENT.
Remedy DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW LEFT HAND DRIVER'S SEAT RAIL MOUNTING BOLT. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 20, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783.

fuzzy
03-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Interesting, Transport Canada doesn't have it - least I didn't see yesterday when I did a search.

I remember getting a letter from Subaru Canada and having taking it to the dealership, though can't remember if it was for this. I have to find that letter.

Took a quick look this morning a noticed that it looks like the bottom piece has key-hole opening where the bolt goes through to thread into the captive nut on slider. Strange thing is, the bolt is threaded into the captive nut - looks like it pulled through the key-hole!?

I wish it would stop raining so I can get a better look...

tashko
03-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Just took a picture of it. The bolt hasn't loosened, it's actually ripped right out of the rail. It'll need a new seat rail

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/majctop/Car/DSC00025.jpg

Ujjwal
03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Wow...How hard do you have to drive it for that to happen...What about the other side/other bolts?

fuzzy
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Found my paperwork regarding the recall on that bolt, I did get the bolt replaced under the recall.

I don't drive too hard; some auto-x, lapping days, TSD rallies.
The other bolts look good, and are tight.

See what Subaru says tomorrow morning.

JoeT
03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
It's not that difficult to fix that, if you have a tig welder. You can weld a plate on top of the seat rail then drill it for the bolt hole. Honestly, it's a surprise that the seat rail broke like that, it's the first one I've seen... Holy Moly!!

STeveD
03-24-2010, 08:50 PM
fuzzy wrote:

I don't drive too hard; some auto-x, lapping days, TSD rallies.
The other bolts look good, and are tight.

See what Subaru says tomorrow morning.

Goni.
02 WRX
2005 Targa Newfoundland 2nd Place Division
2005 Targa Newfoundland Rookie Team Award Winners

Remember tbis when you buy a used Subaru. ;-) None have lead an easy life.

fuzzy
03-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Remember tbis when you buy a used Subaru. ;-) None have lead an easy life.

You mean it's not a normal life for a Subaru?? ;-)
Here I was trying to make sure I was driving it correctly...

Called Subaru and they said I'm out of luck for any type of claim, I'm on my own. OEM replacement part is $135 for just the one rail :-o
He was surprised at what happened but I got the sense he didn't want to know anything about it.

Called Fourstar to see what they have in parts bin.

Navigator
03-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Take it off and weld it up if you cant find a replacement. If you need help let us know.

fuzzy
03-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Sent a PM to Nuwan.