PDA

View Full Version : fuel cell

Denali
03-26-2010, 05:33 PM
im looking to get the atl fuel cell that is made for the trunk of an 02+ impreza. i prefer the fuel cell because i get major fuel starvation and am not to keen on putting a slosh tank in the stock tank. was about to order one but then wondered if there is any silly rules that may not allow it? car is used mainly for track days, cscs and small autocross.

Navigator
03-26-2010, 08:38 PM
How low on fuel do you like to run your car at the track. There is an option I have been toying with but I need more info on how you run your car.

Chris_Martin
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Understand that a Fuel cell itself is only half the cost.

You need to basically replumb all the fuel lines in the car with Braided AN stuff.

Get a new Fuel pump.

Get all the fuel fillter neck jazz.

Fabricate secure mountings for it.

Why not run a surge tank in the trunk? It does not seem like you are looking for more capacity...just looking to suck the tank dry. You should be able to do an effective Surge tank for about $500 including all the fittings, tank, fuel pump, etc.

IMHO a much more simple thing to do....not to mention cheaper.

Denali
03-26-2010, 10:33 PM
price isnt a major concern, eventually(maybe next winter) the car will be caged and only a track toy so i figure why do it twice. as to fuel amount... it would be nice if the car wouldnt cut out while it still has half tank. seriously with half a tank of gas just after some of the corners at tmp i get fuel cut out, with all the money i just put into the engine and turbo $3500 for a tank that will give me peace of mind is no problem for me. unsure of how to answer how i run the car lol.. hard, it sees the rev limiter often, clutchless up and downshifts, but maybe only 20-30 mins of constant lapping because once i use up the top half of fuel it starts cutting and i have to pull off to refuel. i dont really like those surge tanks in the trunk (separately from the gas tank) but i wont rule it out as an option

oldguy
03-27-2010, 10:15 AM
1) $3500 is about $1500 too much for a complete fuel cell installation.

2) Use the surge tank and see if it helps. Spend the cash that you 'save' on a great cage and training.

3) Talk with Chris and Ivano. Listen to Chris and Ivano. :bow:

4) Have fun.

STeveD
03-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Trunk fuel cells screw up the weight balance, too. I would go surge tank first.

And if you have too much money, consider a CanJam fuel setup, or the FIA Group N Impreza fuel cell for about $4K.

Navigator
03-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Denali check your email.

Chris_Martin
03-28-2010, 12:59 AM
You are concerned about putting a 1-2 L surge tank in the trunk....

But have no problems mounting a 70-80L fuel tank back there...

A properly designed and fitted surge tank will solve your problems

This is a pretty sweet set-up...
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/universal-surge-tank-kit-w-walbro-255lph-fuel_pump.html

just add some line and fittings and you are done....you could probably have it installed in a couple of hrs.

Denali
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
^whoa.. im not concerned about putting a surge tank in the trunk, i just feel that if you are going to keep the stock tank and add a surge tank... why not put the surge tank inside the stock tank so no one will know :D

oldguy
03-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Let's get back to this fuel starvation on half-tank @ TMP.

What tires and suspension are you running such that you can produce fuel starvation under those conditions ?

What sort of times ?

It is possible to run low 20's there, all day, on 1/3 tank in a stock-fuel setup WRX. Without fuel starvation.

Maybe the problem isn't the quantity. Maybe something more subtle is occurring re: the pump or the feed or the in-tank filter, or the pick-up, etc ???

Denali
03-28-2010, 05:18 PM
i have 275 r888's, times are mid 20's, seem to get around 1.2g most corners and about 1g under breaking, springs are 10k front and 8k rear. my car is an rs so it does not have the little container around the fuel pick up that the turbos were supposed to have thats why they car run lower.. but good point i never thought that maybe something is loose in there -pickup, filter. i will open it up soon to change the pump and take a peek

Chris_Martin
03-29-2010, 11:11 AM
you can also find an STi pick-up assembly which will help a bunch.