PDA

View Full Version : New Tires - questions

SinglemaltWSKY
03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
OK,

Purchased a set of wheels for the BMW. Now I need to find tires.

Wheel: TR Motorsport MT1-R (17X9)
http://www.tirerackespanol.com/images/wheels/trm/swap/trm_mt1r_mg_ci3_l.jpg

We know the size - 245/40R17 to match to our project car.

My father and I are both beginners and plan to do a good deal of learning this summer.

Question - should we just purchase any cheapo tire to learn on? (seeing as we're going to fry them most likely)

Brand pref? Any benefit to learning on one tire over another?

Thanks!
J

miatagirl77
03-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Definitely want to go with a street tire. It'll talk back to you a lot more than an r-comp. Let you know when you are approaching the limit. R-comps have a way of giving out without much warning.

Plus the less grip you have, the more you'll learn to be a better driver. Better lines, smoother, etc. in order to be fast.

I terms of which tire, that's up to you. A high performance street tire would be best since you'll be putting them through them through their paces.

Navigator
03-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Mel has given you some good advice, play with some street tires and maybe a set of R's at the end of the year. Seeing as the car will be on double duty you may get that chance sooner then later.

Many R compounds will give feedback but being new at trying to drive a car at the limit there may be many other things getting your attention and you may not realize what the tires are trying to tell you. As your skills increase your ability to feel and hear the feedback will grow. When first learning some premium R comps will heat cycle out before you even have a chance to learn how good they really work.

If you can be tidy when driving and learn not to ask more from your tires they they are able to give then when on R comps you will be rewarded with great times. The more seat time you have the better.

Now if you have a hole being burned in your pocket with extra cash, go straight to the premium R's and learn on 4 sets of those this year. :-)

SinglemaltWSKY
03-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the advice!

I'll start shopping for streets and see what I find. I sent an email to Talon Tires - but no response yet.

If anyone finds a deal out there for 245/40R17, let me know!

JoeT
03-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Um.. With regards to "deal for tires' have you seen the front page of this site...

The ATTS and CASC-OR events are not the "big show" so if you do those events, you'll save BIG on tires. In addition, Toyo has announced another Rebate which goes on top of the coupons we're giving away.

As for Talon, just go to their website and select the tire that you want. Preferably the Toyo R1R Street Compound tire, and you'll get the best price.

The prices are listed in our members section along with the discounts.

SinglemaltWSKY
03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Hey Joe - sorry, first timer on all of this stuff,

Chicken or the egg? I need the tires to drive the car - the current 15 inch wheels with half spend winter rubber just ain't gonna cut it :-)
Looking to get these tires within the next couple weeks.

I'll hit the Talon site and see what I can find.

I just signed up on the Toyo race site as well.

Am I missing something else?

JoeT
03-30-2010, 11:06 AM
SinglemaltWSKY wrote:
Hey Joe - sorry, first timer on all of this stuff,

Chicken or the egg? I need the tires to drive the car - the current 15 inch wheels with half spend winter rubber just ain't gonna cut it :-)
Looking to get these tires within the next couple weeks.

I'll hit the Talon site and see what I can find.

I just signed up on the Toyo race site as well.

Am I missing something else?

Click here too please: http://spda-online.ca/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5325&forum=35

ROOKIE.. LOL

SinglemaltWSKY
03-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes,,,,,,such a rookie

............................................______ __
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:"........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

DougPhillips
03-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Why not a 275/40/17 on a 17x9 rim?

SinglemaltWSKY
03-31-2010, 08:26 AM
275.......is somewhat fat. - or should I say phat? :-)