PDA

View Full Version : Rookie WRX265 Solo2 Classing Questions

SajBT36
04-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi folks,

Thanks to the bug biting me hard at the autocross training weekend I'm registering to compete for the 2010 season.

I'm a little confused on the classes however.

I understand that my WRX265 is A-Stock as standard (as per bulletin 10-AS-01).

However, I'm running a Stage1 Cobb tune. From what I understand that's a change of ECU where ECU also controls boost, which would put me in B-Super Stock unless I uninstall before the event (which is obviously no big deal to do with an AccessPort).

So far, so good. Where I'm confused though is that PAX adjustment is 0.854 for AS and only 0.849 for BSS... So I'd be more competitive in BSS with keeping the tune installed? :-?

Car is otherwise stock, apart from a catback, and I intend to keep it that way. Need to work on my driving before pouring the parts on.

I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious here!

PS Thanks again to all the instructors and organisers from last weekend at the Powerade Center. Simply brilliant time.

BryceD
04-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Are you going to be running on your street tires (there are dedicated street tire classes)?

If so, then you would either be in ST2, or STU (depending if you kept the cobb tune or not).

As of now, I believe there are only a few cars registered in STU (Joe? Mel? Someone else?)

I'd say leave it as-is for the first few events, and if you feel that the other class would offer more/better competition, you can always change.

SajBT36
04-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I'll be running street tires yes. I'd like to stay in a class with more runners, simply because this is my first year and it's always nice to see where to shoot for.

Accessport on or off makes little difference to me really, just a little confused as to why an SS prepped 265 seems to have a lower PAX than a stock one.

Fairly sure I'm misunderstanding something here.

BryceD
04-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but PAX isn't just based on the performance of cars. It also takes into account previous history of cars in that class, and I think a few other factors.

Personally I would try out the street tire classes, and probably pick the class with more cars (ST2 or STU).

cliff96
04-29-2010, 10:58 AM
So far, so good. Where I'm confused though is that PAX adjustment is 0.854 for AS and only 0.849 for BSS... So I'd be more competitive in BSS with keeping the tune installed? :-?.

For some cars/classes the ss level actually has a more competitive PAX, it's rare and unintuitive but it can happen. Contributing to this is that there are fewer ss/sp classes 6 then the 9 stock classes.

Bryce you're correct, PAX is a theoretical performance index for cars that are prepped to the maximum of class rules with national championship caliber drivers. It's reviewed annually based off of the nationals/divisionals in the states along with an adjustment for typical Ontario courses and level's of preparation.

SajBT36
04-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the input folks. In that case I believe I'll run in BSS with the Stage 1 tune installed. At least for the time being!

See you all on Sunday.

JoeT
04-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Try out ST Classes we need more street tire competitors (victims). JK, Glad you're coming out on Sunday, see y'all there.

LaszloT
05-07-2010, 08:21 PM
He didn't do too bad for a 'victim', did he, lol?

Laz

SajBT36
05-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I was pretty happy :)

Lucked out on the 4th and 5th runs being cut though, despite my 4th being my fastest by two seconds, Todd had me comfortably handled, and I would have placed 4th.

Still would have been happy!

Thanks though Laz ;)

JoeT
05-07-2010, 09:44 PM
I still say he should be in STU to get a fair chance at winning or placing decently, the competition in the regular classes are sporting R comps, which by nature is at least 2 seconds quicker then the street tire. Now add to that the super R comps like hoosiers, and the difference can be as much as 4 seconds.

STU classes were surprisingly well populated, with most cars in ST1 and STU, 11 cars total. Not too shabby.

SajBT36
05-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm thinking about that too Joe. It's still early enough in the season, and I'm planning running every event anyway (why wouldn't you!?)

I'm a little unclear on STU allowed mods though. Is it the same as ST1&2 where if it doesn't say it is allowed, then it is not. Or is is the only requirement that you're on street tires?

I could easily drop to ST2, but it seems lonely there.

JoeT
05-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah you'll be more than likely in ST2, there'll be a shuffle of cars moving to ST2, right now there's only Rachel (white WRX).

ST classes are all exploratory this year, and it's getting refined as we speak. As for allowable mods it's pretty open, the statement about "if it doesn't say it's allowed, apply's to the regular classes. At this point, it's all up to the Direfctor's discretion since it's currently maturing in rules.

SajBT36
05-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Cheers Joe,

So, seems to be:

AS: Drop the Cobb AP. Not really considering this.

BSS: Run as I did in Mosport. Fun racing with Alex and Todd. No chance of touching Daniel (wouldn't anyway!) or Steve. But it's fun.

ST2: Drop the Cobb AP. Happy to do this so long as there is a field there to play with.

STU: Keep the Cobb. Good field, provided they don't all head to ST2.

Hmmm... plenty to think about.

JoeT
05-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Now if you didn't care about the rules and just wanted to come out to have fun, with all the toys installed, come to STU to play.

Serge
05-07-2010, 11:18 PM
ST2: Drop the Cobb AP. Happy to do this so long as there is a field there to play with.

there might be..

you can have fun trying to chase a 01 RS :) no boost on that sucker.

Daniel
05-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Whatever class you land in (this goes for everyone) just make sure you have some good competition (read: others who will really challenge you). It's that much more fun and it helps/forces you to improve just that much faster.... It's just out of reach for me most of the time, but I'm always chasing FTD. That's what fuels me... :-D

btw, more than happy to offer more ride alongs (or ride shotgun) whenever you like... always fun to watch/help others improve and it ups the stakes and fun factor for us all by bringing in more competition.

SajBT36
05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
That's what I liked about Sunday Daniel, plenty there to chase after! Some of it in reach, some not (like your good self).

Three of us came really, really close to 3rd and that was great. I got lucky on they day with the disallowed runs, and there'll be plenty there to push in trying to keep up with Todd and Alex. Hell I think I can get to Steve in his R shod RX-8 if I learn some more and have a good day ;)

But then if the rest of the guys step up to R's then that fight's over for me.

Decisions decisions!

Interiorman
05-11-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm finally able to free up some time this summer and have got myself a car which I can play with which is not a daily driver. I am interested in getting out there and having some fun while learning. Unfortunately I missed the autocross school due to work :-(

I don't want to wait until next summer and was wondering if there was any advice on how I can get my feet wet. I was thinking about signing up for the ATTS so that I could get a taste of the different types experiences. My goal is to get out about twice a month at a minimum to learn like a sponge and to just have fun.

Your advice is much appreciated.

JoeT
05-11-2010, 07:39 AM
All of the CASC-OR events are classed as amateur motorsports, the ATTS in particular is geared towards the people that have nice cars that want to experience the varied types of events that CASC has. It's also a very newbie friendly event where we can supply coaches during the morning sessions.

Either way, just hang out with the SPDA crowd and there will be a lot of coaching along with track time.

Come to Picton at the end of the month, you'll get tons of seat time, and a great venue to cut your teeth in.

Interiorman
05-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd love to join you guys at Picton, but have a family commitment on the Saturday which I cannot get out off.

Based on what I have seen on this site, it would be advantageous to get myself some Toyo tires. The only thing is I don't see any 20in sizes. Right now my car is stock with 20in Dunlop SP7010's all season's, so I'm not sure if I should change them, or just stick to them until I gain a bit more experience.

JoeT
05-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Keep your current tires until you get more experience, might as well use them up. What car do you have that needs 20" tires?

Interiorman
05-13-2010, 11:06 PM
I'll keep the stock tires as recommended. I'll be driving a GT-R. Looking at the rules I take it fall's under C class even though it's bone stock.

SajBT36
05-14-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm still rockin the Dunlop SP-01's.

Mmmmmm.... chunky...

Still, thank God they're not RE-92's

AndrewR
05-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Nothing wrong with RE92's, unless you want to drive.

Oh, BTW, anyone got any used all seasons?

elementZ
05-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I agree with Joe....Burn up your current set of tires, and learn what the car can do.

Then, when you are ready, Toyo does have the R888 in 285/35-20 and 315/30-20, made just for the GT-R.