PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Rumble at the Strip Discussion Thread!!

JoeT
05-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Here's a hint of the course design dynamics, we have some of the best course designers in this sport. The task that they've been given is to design a course to re-capture / capture the adrenaline, nervousness they first had when they first started.

As competitors and adrenaline junkies, we all remember the first time we entered a timed "legal" motorsports event. The feeling you get when waiting at the line anticipating the flag drop so you can do what it is that drive you.

It's all about the butterflies, the euphoria, the anticipation that leads up to the session, then it's about the leg shaking and breathlessness after completing the run.

The run is relegated to being the catalyst to the adrenaline, secondary only to the emotional explosion that's felt before and after, because you've rehearsed the run over and over in your head prior to executing, that it became 2nd nature.

This year, it's 2 full days of high octane adrenaline on a course that's going to be over 2.4Km long.

Over the next couple of days, I'll be calling a few motels to see if we can get some preferred rates at some places, then we'll post the details here.

Here's to the Ultimate Rumble at the Strip, see you there!

Serge
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
so can you elaborate the point you made on the CASC boards about both days scores combining to the crafters trophy?

JoeT
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes,

Take the Pax Points from each day, and add them together for the highes total, the top 3 in pax wins a trophy provided by CASC-OR and Change Crafters.

JoeT
05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Video from last years event:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6DmUl5XO3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6DmUl5XO3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

msix
05-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Take the Pax Points from each day, and add them together for the highes total, the top 3 in pax wins a trophy provided by CASC-OR and Change Crafters.

what?? FTD is not worth anything again??? :strangle:

JoeT
05-05-2010, 09:09 AM
msix wrote:

what?? FTD is not worth anything again??? :strangle:

It would be unfair for me to get a trophy for FTD since I'm one of the organizers... LOL (Jokes jokes!) :cheer: :pint: :muaha: :muaha: :nanana:

SajBT36
05-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Wow...

Everyone tells you about how different the venues are, but...

It's almost like make your own course with occassional suggestions :lol:

Maybe my squidgy stock suspension will work well on all the broken tarmac :)

JoeT
05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
SajBT36 wrote:
Wow...

Everyone tells you about how different the venues are, but...

It's almost like make your own course with occassional suggestions :lol:

Maybe my squidgy stock suspension will work well on all the broken tarmac :)

You'll love it!!! Muahahahah..

Once you go to Picton for the "Rumble" events, life changes. Seriously. Good or bad, the adrenaline bar gets raised a tiny bit higher.

kwlsti
05-05-2010, 10:08 AM
that's my Shannonville weekend :-(
maybe next year...

Chris_Martin
05-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Is the course at Picton going to be as "open" as it is in the video posted above this year?

I must say that looks tempting, especially since I may have some "shakedown" to do, and the broken tarmac looks just about perfect.

Can I just show up and run? Or are there rereq's for a provincial event?

I know i'll get smoked in the classing. But that doesn't really matter.

Can i run gravel tires ;)

it's between this and ATTS at the DDT...but this may be a better "test"

AndrewR
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Chris, the event will be as open, and even more fun than last year.

You can show up and run, Spda is organizing, and JoeT knows the Autoslalom Director. We are sure to get you in both days no issues

Tires are up to you, if you have streets, classing is easy, if not, we can class you based on mods.

Hope to see you there!!

Chris_Martin
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Most likely i'll be on some Bridgestone RE-01's.

I'm not sure we want to start counting mods...

If i counted the parts that are still OEM, i'm not sure i'd fill even one hand!

JoeT
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Hi Chris,

That would put you in STU, street tire class. You'll be in good company. The pavement is not actually broken up, there are several areas where the local flora is growing through but for the most part, it's an old bomber base so the tarmack is super thick and stable.

And yes, it is as open as it looks, and it's HUGE, we're lucky to be in partnership with STLAC as they are the ones that have the relationship with the airport manager.

It'll be a good shakedown for your rally car.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HmbBBWM0GZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HmbBBWM0GZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Chris_Martin
05-05-2010, 11:11 AM
By broken, i mean, has cracks and is bumpy. Bumps that can upset the car mid corner, which is what i want. Generally i need to go to DDT and start hoping curbs to get what i'm after.

Not broken meaning we've got big holes, and gravel on course.

Open....from the vids, especially the civic video...am i wrong thinking that's mostly a 3rd gear in a 6 spd course?

JoeT
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes, it's mostly 3rd gear on a 6 speed, with certain areas at 4th gear, and depending on your tire size, can hit 5th gear for a second or 2.

Chris_Martin
05-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Awesome!

I should really try to convince my pops to drive the car as well. He used to "slalom" back when it was still just called that, in a variety of different stuff. Along with some other racing stuff. He might just get a kick out of it.

Serge
05-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey Chris!

Definitely try to come out, we can have a little high school rivalry going :)

are you taking out the rally car that i saw at the auto-show?

srprs-t
05-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I so have to make it to this one. Be a great first event for sure!

JoeT
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
srprs-t wrote:
I so have to make it to this one. Be a great first event for sure!

Warning Warning Warning... Adrenaline addicts will get hooked!!

Time to exercise that Turbo GC!!

Fentin_Fury
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
5th gear Joe!

The Z runs - ViPEC working. I will be there

Q

JoeT
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Fentin_Fury wrote:
5th gear Joe!

The Z runs - ViPEC working. I will be there

Q

5th on an STI 6th speed, briefly which is not the same as the "escape velocity" speeds your car does in 5th.. LOL

Glad to see the Vipec is intalled, now we'll get to see real performance, I guess. Hummmmmmm Damn, it was fast before, now you'll be at light speed, Han Solo!

SajBT36
05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
4th gear you say?

Oooooer... Wouldn't be able to fit an American Express card between my arse cheeks once I hit that speed.

Serge
05-06-2010, 04:47 PM
4th gear is good

so long as you guys dont put slaloms in there at those speeds

OEM suspension guys would be severely disadvantaged :/

Cavemanrjc
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
So I should be abel to top out 3rd hot dam

Time to chain it down, keep it flat

STeveD
05-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Cavemanrjc wrote:

Time to chain it down, keep it flat

You country bumpkins make me laugh! ;-) I've been doing it wrong and spending far too much money on suspension tuning.

Why buy stiffer springs...? Just use chains to stop it from rolling!!! :pint:

Isn't it similar to hitting a bump stop though? Sudden loss of traction?

JoeT
05-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Kind of different from bumpstops, the chains keep the suspension from extending beyond a point. So it's more like short suspension travel, or reduced droop travel.

STeveD
05-06-2010, 07:14 PM
JoeT wrote:
Kind of different from bumpstops, the chains keep the suspension from extending beyond a point. So it's more like short suspension travel, or reduced droop travel.

Wouldn't that be like a sway bar though and transfer some lift to the inside wheel, causing high speed instability?

JoeT
05-06-2010, 07:55 PM
STeveD wrote:

JoeT wrote:

Wouldn't that be like a sway bar though and transfer some lift to the inside wheel, causing high speed instability?

No not really, since there's no transitional load transfer, it's not like a swaybar at all, it's exactly like "short travel" suspension with no droop travel.

Swaybars modify spring rates through transitional load transfer, chains have no direct link to the other side.

STeveD
05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Okay then. Chain that sucker!

Cavemanrjc
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't know why it works, but the Z24 dropped 4 sec with them on the rears only.
my truck was better with them on the front

so now to try the 7
Grassroots baby
:)

Just don't leave them on at the oval
bad bad bad

JoeT
05-11-2010, 10:59 PM
SajBT36 wrote:
4th gear you say?

Oooooer... Wouldn't be able to fit an American Express card between my arse cheeks once I hit that speed.

Don't leave home without it! LOL

Sir-knight
05-11-2010, 11:37 PM
hoping my new front o2 gets here in less than 10 business days... and that I can get a the new harness rewired in time. :/

isopropyl_z24
05-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Will there be food there for lunch for a fee ?? Or are we going to be doing weight reduction that day?? :-P
just wondering if I need to bring food.

JoeT
05-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, there will be food there both days for a fee. We also have the dinner mingler for the evening.

srprs-t
05-24-2010, 12:54 PM