PDA

View Full Version : 2004 WRX Problems Help

isopropyl_z24
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Now that my car is all apart Rob sent me in to ask some questions.

How much play should there be in the turbo?
How do we get rid of the tumblers?

Thats it for now but I'm sure there will be more.

Chris_Martin
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I know that Joe quoted a number for shaft play, But i'm not entirely sure where the manual wants you to measure. I think the process is about 10 steps long in the manual. I also believe they want complete up/down measurement, and not just grabbing one side and "rocking" it.

Generally unless it's excessive you are ok.

Make sure the turbo has oil in it if you are checking.

As for the tumblers...unless you are at a point where they start restricting the flow, I would leave them. It's not worth the hastle.

JoeT
05-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Her TGV's threw a code, so it maybe a TGV postion sensor problem or TGV servo problem. That's why they're considering a TGV delete. It's more of a "get rid of the problem" mod, than power mod.

Cavemanrjc
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Intakes off and the butterflys move smoothly.
code that keeps reseting is "P1091" rh stuck closed.
With the light on it feels like a plugged cat, now thats not even a potability with her car. going with its in limp mode, so ill scope the position sensor tonight, thinking more likely the actuator but ???
Ill let you know what i find

Far more of a pain in the but to take the intake off a turbo car as to a na car

Navigator
05-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Does the Accessport have the ability to turn off the TGV Sensors? If so you can remove them but consider that the cold weather starts will be pretty bad. I may have a set of TGV motors/sensors at the house if you get stuck. I will let you know later.

STeveD
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Navigator wrote:
Does the Accessport have the ability to turn off the TGV Sensors? If so you can remove them but consider that the cold weather starts will be pretty bad. I may have a set of TGV motors/sensors at the house if you get stuck. I will let you know later.

Are you sure about the bad cold starts? I thought Pete M told me it was fine...?

Cavemanrjc
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Ideally I would like them to operate that way when she sell the car and i uninstall the ap it wont set codes.

PM me if you do and a price Navigator Thanks

isopropyl_z24
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
So where do I go to get a Tumble Generator Valve (TGV) Delete for the WRX and what am I looking at for cost?
There are 2 right? So I don't need this going again on the other side and if I just got them out then future problems solved?
If I take them out will the Cobbs take the code off the car?
Just like having your tonsils out right? Just extra parts?

Navigator
05-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Sorry Guys didnt have a chance to look last night or this morning. I will let you know this evening.

Navigator
05-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Jen you can do it yourself. Rob is more then capable of doing the work. Check your PM I am sending you my phone number have Rob call me tonight.

isopropyl_z24
05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I'll get him to give you a call around noon if thats ok, if not when he gets home at 5pm

Navigator
05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Tried calling you back, give me a call when you see this.

1sti2nv
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
i had 4 codes when i removed my tgvs

but even if they were stuck open shouldnt be a problem they are only for cold starts

mine starts no problem in the winter i had them ported so no flaps nothing

lmk if i could be any help

nocturn
05-07-2010, 08:00 PM
If you do remove them, and want to unmarry the AP later, I think we can load a stock 2004 rom into romraider and turn off the the tgv codes and then load that on to the ECU so you have a stock car with no tgv codes.

I suppose if you want to the motors and sensors still there so you don't throw codes you could just remove the flaps themselves but leave the bar they are mounted on. Even if it is stuck "closed" you will still be getting the same flow as with them fully open.

isopropyl_z24
05-08-2010, 08:54 PM
So the car is back togeather with the light on. Will have to find a sticker to put over it :-( for now.
It's not my fault that I was so slow in the WRX
1 It was set up as an auto, got rid of that + 1
2. Up and down pipe +2
3. Timing belt done another +2
4. Work done today add another + 2 and it don't sound the same or smell like it did.
When Rob comes in I'm sure he will have some to add and let you know what he did as i was in the house. I don't like it when the car is apart. :cry:

Cavemanrjc
05-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Well,
-I removed the Butterfly blades for the TGV
-Saw a great porting potential :) later
-Replaced the clamps on all the under intake lines
-Replaced the breather baffle gaskets

Apparently the blades don't open all the way ever ?
Cause now it pulls a whole lot harder :lol:
It was way rich acting like a stuck choke

But I'm worried it might get lean with the current tune
so and as the version 1 AP will not remove the codes

Who should She get it tuned by?

JoeT
05-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Pete aka Nocturn can remove the codes for you, I believe he offered. Hint, he tuned his own car, and it's still alive.

Cavemanrjc
05-08-2010, 10:10 PM
PM sent pete

nocturn
05-08-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't believe that Cobb and Romraider/Ecuflash are compatible. You would have to choose one or the other. If you go to opensource tuning you will need a tactrix 1.3 cable, 04 wrx flashblock and a laptop to reflash your ecu to switch maps.

PM replied

and for the record, I purchased a tune over the internet and then proceeded to tweak it with data logging for our gas and my engine specifically. So I know what my engine doesn't like from a tune, but I wouldn't know the first thing about building a map from scratch.