PDA

View Full Version : practicing 180's

Serge
05-06-2010, 04:15 PM
where would be a good place in Toronto where one could practice doing high speed 180's and 360's..

curious minds want to know!

Cavemanrjc
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
so you want to know ware you can go do legally do donuts?

TMP?
Rent the track for a couple hrs.

Let me know when you find some ware I'll join you :)

Serge
05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
doughnuts are for the birds..

i want to practice high speed trail braking + semi drifting

somehow i have a feeling Joe is going to throw in a tight hairpin at the end of a highspeed section just to screw people over

plus its time to learn advanced techniques.. trail braking is the only way for a naturally understeering car with LSD to get faster times... and unfortunately i dont know how to do it :(

Cavemanrjc
05-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Please Joe put in as many hair pins as posable but I'm not running Toyos for the event if you do ;)

very hard to learn on the streets and still keep your car rent a track or KOTH is starting soon :)

JoeT
05-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm not designing the course. Muahahahahah, but I have faith in the ones that are.

STeveD
05-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Serge wrote:

somehow i have a feeling Joe is going to throw in a tight hairpin at the end of a highspeed section just to screw people over

I probably shouldn't be pasting this from the Super Secret Picton Planning discussion, but....

STeveD wrote:
I think that a pin turn is an underutilized tool in slalom around here.

Daniel wrote:

Few concerns:

- very tight section of tarmac
- I don't like'em
- with multiple cars on course there's no safe way to make it work (i.e. doubling back)
- I don't like'em
- ruins the flow
- Oh, and I don't like'em

nocturn wrote:

if by pin turn you mean you can pin the pedal to floor through the turn then [we are] all for it.

Ya see, I thought that if my car was ready, it would be a wonderful place to try to light up the tires Ken Block style. But it won't be ready, so no point. ;-(

Serge wrote:

plus its time to learn advanced techniques.. trail braking is the only way for a naturally understeering car with LSD to get faster times... and unfortunately i dont know how to do it :(

Really? You owned a VW and you don't know how to trail brake to eliminate understeer? Hell, owning my first FWD car, a Buick Regal, I became self-taught in no time. I couldn't have told you what trailbraking was if you asked me, but I was doing it.

Serge
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM
no, during my VW racing times i stuck to the out in out brake before turn style, using lift off to rotate.

i started reading about the advanced stuff but no where to practice and then i stopped racing alltogether for 2 years :(

this is not soemthing you want to try for the first time on a track..

thats why i want to find a large enough area

i'm thinking of sneaking into Downsview for a quick 10 minutes then back out

Chris_Martin
05-07-2010, 03:05 PM
There's only 2 things that will get you around a "pin" turn quick.

the "flick" - And on tarmac you better be comitted or you are going to get nothing but understeer.

or Ken Block style aka. a fist full of hydraulic handbrake.

If you seriously want to practice...try doing it on something slippery first. Go find a gravel parking lot or something. If you can do it on a slipperier surface, then you can do it on tarmac. Everything just happens much faster on tarmac. And you need to be going alot faster on tarmac.

Serge
05-07-2010, 03:12 PM
well, no hydraulic brake here.. and someone told me that on my car pulling the e-brake can trash my center diff?

so i guess the flick it is :)

JoeT
05-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Serge wrote:
well, no hydraulic brake here.. and someone told me that on my car pulling the e-brake can trash my center diff?

so i guess the flick it is :)

The center diff is not as fragile as people make them out to be. The occasional lockup will not destroy them. But yes, when we drift the Legacy, it's through the creative use of weight transfer and flick, speeds are a bit higher, but it works.

GTibyJB
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
JoeT wrote:
But yes, when we drift the Legacy, it's through the creative use of weight transfer and flick, speeds are a bit higher, but it works.

Or you are just driving Joe's car like you would the VW and it drifts all by itself :-D