PDA

View Full Version : Relying on new automotive technology? Volvo fail.

DouglasM
05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
In last month's Top Gear magazine, writer Paul Horrell discusses how auto manufacturers are offering more "safety" equipment that really does nothing more than dumb down the driving experience and skill required.

Intelligence, common sense and good judgment are the key requirements for driving. Well, that certainly explains what we see on our roads.

So Volvo tests their new collision avoidance system in front of cameras and journalists:

Volvo S60 safety crash video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6z3IArINI&feature=player_embedded#!)

A battery problem got the blame. Those wipers work well, though, don't they.

SajBT36
05-12-2010, 08:19 AM
I laughed.

Did anyone see the Mercedes one a couple of years back that was supposed to do the same thing?

It DID do the same thing. Quite literally. Can't find a video, but it was most amusing.

Everyone of these that fails publicly is a little victory against the inevitable, self driven, GPS governed, nanny state approved vehicular appliances that will be here sooner than you think...

SinglemaltWSKY
05-12-2010, 08:55 AM
I watched that yesterday - the dull *thud* followed by everyone looking around ......

I laughed.

Sir-knight
05-12-2010, 09:02 AM
the system was obviously busy drinking its coffee, whilst checking its makeup in the mirror and texting to its buddy.

SinglemaltWSKY
05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
the system was obviously busy drinking its coffee, whilst checking its makeup in the mirror and texting to its buddy.

HEY - Texting is Swedish is tough.

TrevorH
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Works for me. Volvo is bound to have more money to win in a law suit than the idiot who's following too close.

Seriously though, anyone have the translation? 18 feet seems too close to promote as a safety feature. I could actually see someone thinking that this makes following close "safe".