PDA

View Full Version : Build - Roll cage, roll bar - what would you do?

SinglemaltWSKY
06-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Hey all,

Looking for advice - recommendations,
The BMW is now going into full tear down (as the one event we wanted embarrass ourselves at was canceled).

Looking at options for the interior roll protection. The plan is to have this car for Solo events only. Lap days are a possibility, however we do not plan to do any head to head racing on the track.

A 6 point welded cage is a possibility, however we're looking to keep the cost down a bit, and keep getting in and out of the car convenient.

What about going with a 4 point cage? Or even a roll bar or belt bar?

What would you do?

--I know it's an open ended question, but the drawing board is pretty much wide open. Ultimately, we want the best bang for the buck - keeping safety and race eligibility in mind.

nissannx
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
This may not be the answer you want, but I would get Scott at Can-Alignment to build my cage. I've seen several examples of his work and it's awesome.

Currently I have a 4 pt Autopower roll bar/harness bar - installed before I knew about Can-Alignment. With a build like yours, I'd do it right and have a pro build it.

SinglemaltWSKY
06-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm not fussy about WHO puts it in - simply looking for advice on what type is a best compromise between price/race requirement/convenience of use.

we were looking at this as a fun project - both my father and I love to tinker and build(he's a mechanical engineer, so pretty knowledgeable) But I will totally consider professional fitment as per your suggestion.

How is the 4 point for getting in and out of the car? have you ever met with problems qualifying for events due to safety (my guess is no).

oldguy
06-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Jonas:

Tinker all you want (naturally), but I can't recommend strongly enough to at least SPEAK with SCOTT... he'll head off all the blind alleys and he'll tell you what will work... even if he doesn't lift a finger to work on the thing.

He's just a really knowledgeable and really great guy.

Rob

Robin
06-10-2010, 06:21 PM
if you put something in, don't skimp on the material.... buy the lightest material for your budget.... and if you plan on making it a full cage eventually, simply follow the race series rules so your cage complies....

i have a 4pt in my subaru and it's welded in....

mikewolf
06-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Like robin suggested, I'd weld in a 4 pt roll bar that could later be upgraded to a full cage if needed. A 4pt won't make getting in or ot of the front any different, but getting in the back will be much harder. Although my dad makes my roll bars/cages, if I didn't have that option, I would use Scott too.

alf
06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I guest you plan on towing the car? If not forget the cage.

1st no insurance company will insure the car. Got to many friend that it the road block.

2nd Let say you succeed on point 1 (which is possible since people have to insure a rally car), well hope for no crash. Since you wont have a helmet on the street, you may as well be dead from hitting you head against the metal post...

Now, if you go for a cage, 2 way to do it. Find a guys that does full custom or buy a precut one "ready" to assemble(weld). The ready one usually fit well on one side and needs some work on the other side. Cost is about the same in both case, the custom one can have few own goodies on it vs pre-cut one. Pre-cut one can sometime be better engineer to work with the chassis.

I hope it's now clear as mud....

SinglemaltWSKY
06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Yup - we were planning to go with a precut cage and welding it in ourselves - but by the sounds of it I will consult Scott as well.

The car is towed to events - not a street car at all - so no worries there.

I think a 4 point with the possibility of moving to a 6 point in the future is probably the way to go.

nissannx
06-11-2010, 05:21 AM
If it's not a street car, why not go the full distance and put the cage in from the start. I know you can add it to a 4 point - which as pointed out only interferes with access behind the front cab - but if this is a track only car make it as safe as you can.
Have fun!

SinglemaltWSKY
06-11-2010, 08:15 AM
So that 's the question - are there 6 point cages out there that I don't have to turn myself into a pretzel to get in and out of the car?

I'm 6'4". I've recently lost 75lbs to make racing a reality - but I'm still not a small guy.

JoeT
06-11-2010, 09:55 AM
SinglemaltWSKY wrote:
I'm 6'4". I've recently lost 75lbs to make racing a reality - but I'm still a small guy.

Fixored!

SinglemaltWSKY
06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I'll find you Joe........I'll find you :-P

http://www.maniact.com/Ebay/Images_T-shirts/Anchorman%20Ron%20Burgundy%20Im%20kind%20of%20a%20 big%20deal_small.gif

JoeT
06-11-2010, 01:21 PM
SinglemaltWSKY wrote:

I'm 6'4". I've recently lost 75lbs.

BTW: Congrats on kicking the addiction!!! That's a hard battle to fight, and it seems like you kicked it!

warwagon
06-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm 6'6" and I've had a 8 point rollbar welded in my wagon for the last 3yrs and its a street driven the car.
Cage was done at Fourstar Motorsports by my man Frank.
If it's a trailered car ONLY put a FULL cage don't waste your money on a Rollbar cause you'll only end up needing a cage anyway IMO

I will be having my Rollbar cut out at the end of this season in favour of a FIA SPEC cage :-)
NO MORE PLATES or street drving then though!

In the end you'll save by putting a cage first, rather than rollbar.

My 2 cents

SinglemaltWSKY
06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks all for the input!
"I would get Scott at Can-Alignment to build my cage"

Can someone PM me the contact information for Scott?
The car being relieved of it's stock engine this weekend and will be ready for the roll-cage soon, I need to book an appointment.

Let me know,
Cheers,
Jonas

JoeT
06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Send him a PM on here: http://spda-online.ca/userinfo.php?uid=1174

He posts as racecartech.

His contact information is also on the partners page under Canalignment.

SinglemaltWSKY
06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
thanks man!