PDA

View Full Version : GT5 Finally gets a release date

SinglemaltWSKY
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
I know we have lots of Forza 3 players - I've been looking forward to this game for YEARS. Apparently dev costs on this have topped the 60m dollar mark - 6.5 years in the making. Release date of November 2nd 2010.

For those of us who lost sections of our lives to the original GT titles - this should be AWESOME.

<object width="1300" height="765"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hxfNb4d3bPY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hxfNb4d3bPY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1300" height="765"></embed></object>

Serge
06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
lets hope the physics engine isnt that of mario kart :)

LaszloT
06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
I think that you can count on the physics being pretty phenomenal.

I have the latest in PC auto racing simulations, have played the GT series from it's inception, and it's the realism that holds my interest.

There was a two vehicle download recently that confirmed that folks who want realism will be impressed.

To broaden the market and audience though, there are settings to bring it toward the arcade-style of gaming, which I don't like or use.

Here's a in-game shot, for it's eye-candy :

SinglemaltWSKY
06-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Agreed - Kazunori Yamauchi (the game designer of ever GT game to this point) is a fanatic about realism. Apparently that's why this game has taken so long to reach the market. It's rumored that Kazunori has driven every real life equivalent in the game for comparison.

He also had a large part in the design of the Nissan GT-R - the dash screens and gizmo's were all designed by him, and match the GT HUD display in the new game to a tee.

.....augh.......I'm such a geek.

Serge
06-17-2010, 02:43 PM
are they planning a PC port?

SinglemaltWSKY
06-17-2010, 03:10 PM
not to my knowledge - Polyphony Digital is owned by Sony Computer Entertainment - it's a PS3 exclusive title.

Serge
06-17-2010, 03:55 PM
guess its time to rob my brother :)

dubya_rx
06-17-2010, 06:43 PM
I bet that will sell a bunch of 3D TVs.

Should the front wheel still be spinning at 1:03 on that TVR doing the slide?

Navigator
06-18-2010, 07:46 PM
First mistake I made was clicking on this topic.

Second mistake I made was watching the video.

I just found what I will be buying on Nov 2. 2010. :-)

I always loved the GT Series, very realistic. This is going to be awesome.

Interiorman
06-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Combine this with a Logitec G25 steering wheel, playseat and a big screen and you're as close as you can get to the car's without getting into them.

I know even with the prologue, it's incredible. None of the other systems even come close to it. I'm sure this latest version will only be better.

I've heard that this version is supposed to have 3-D capability (not sure what that means, but Sony is supposed to be releasing firmware to allow the PS3 to broacast in 3-D). Also they'll have a collectors addition which will come with a 1:43 scale 2009 Nissan GT-R Spec V.

I know the guys at either Road & Track or Car & Driver were getting similar lap times on the game as they were in real life in the Prologue

TrevorH
06-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Time for a minor rant on simulation racing.

I've been playing sim racing games since the late 70's. They've all come a long way since then, but we're still a long way off.

With even current hardware, it's near impossible to provide realist physics. To deal with this limitation game programmers provide physics models based on the predictability of the player trying to do the right thing. Here's where things fall apart though. We've all seen (in real life) that we don't always do the right thing, but in the sim world, where the physics are slanted towards corrected behavior, we lose the realism of things going wrong when they should.

The next time you're out judging a game on it's realism, rather than driving as you should in real life (since this is bound to feel as it should), spend your time doing as many wrong things as possible. You'd be surprised how many games (GT and Forza included) will show glaring holes.

Here's a few things to try (test with all driving aids turned off):

1. On exiting a corner, what happens if you turn IN hard and hit the brakes (the standard rookie reaction to apexing too early / going too fast ). Most games produce understeer in this case. In fact I've yet to see a game that will send you off the inside of the corner exit, backwards.

2. In a LEFT hand corner, can I turn as hard to the RIGHT as I can to the left? (many games, you'll end up turning left anyways, though not enough to make the corner).

3. While maintaining a constant speed, does the turn radius change depending on what gear I'm in? GT through GT4 failed miserably at this, as you had a tighter turn radius in lower gears, regardless of speed.

4. Can you steer while in the air. Yes, some sims fail at this at least allowing you to change your heading, if not direction of travel.

Add anything else you can think of.

In the end, if we're always helped to do the right thing regardless of our intent, is it really a simulation?

Trev

SinglemaltWSKY
06-21-2010, 03:31 PM
All good points Trevor,

The balance that is needed for these games is pretty crazy - it's a combination of "realism" for the sim racers out there (myself included) - and the ability to make it accessible to the masses that are going to pay for it at their local retailers.

I have seen a few games that take the realism way up (one of the PC games I used to have, just can't think of the name), and they failed miserably at stores - no one could control the cars enough to have fun.

The steering radius example is a great one - I've seen it talked about in other forums. Essentially the game code is keeping you from going with too much steering input or even full lock in 5th or 6th gear (assuming you're going fast). If you're using a hand held controller - you can imagine how impossible it would be to drive a sim car at that speed and just BREATH on the control stick hoping not to careen into a wall.

Also - the lack of G, and no perceivable way to simulate "butt in the seat" feeling leads the developers to give alternate feedback - visual cues, assists etc.

Until we get that holodeck (man, how I wish for a holodeck) from StarTrek - all of the sim games are going to be flawed.

All of these games (although they advertise differently) are built on compromise. Real life driving is never going to be a big screen and vibrating controller.