PDA

View Full Version : CAC 2010 Chronicles POV

JoeT
08-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Day 1 - The Journey

So the day began pretty well, left good old Maple Ontario at a decent enough time to avoid any of the traffic that the big smoke can potentially throw at you. Took the 407 all the way to Pickering then headed south to join up the 401.

Slight slowdown through Salem but wide open all the way to the border of Ontario. Interesting thing to note, most of the gas stations that used to be open by the side of the 401 is in various stages of rebuilding. Getting gas now requires an excursion off the highway onto some exit.

GPS indicated that the potential arrival time would be 4:58 and after travelling quite a distance, time revised to 4;14, no I wasn't overly speeding, not that I'd admit to it though.. LOL

Anyways, onto the trek, while driving, I was consious about the need to locate a Sunoco, since the car was tuned using 94 Octane, that's when the blackberry using google maps came into good use. It's easy to select the map, hit the "0" key to locate where you are on the planet, then click on that little dot and select "search nearby", then type in "Sunoco". It turns out that the last Sunoco just before entering La Belle Tax Province is in Cornwall. Fantabuloso, cornwall it is, for the first stop in the journy to fill up with Go Juice, and refuel the old body by injesting a nice crispy "Turkey Bacon Club" sandwich manufactured skillfully by a lovely Mexican chica by the name of Julia. A little smile couple by a shy acknowledgement is always nice to see, specially coming from someone so um er nice.

Arriving at St. Eustache at 4:18, only 4 minutes past the GPS estimation, we drove directly to the pit area of the race track. There I was met by a gentleman that handed me a nice "Subaru" Cherry Blossom coloured wrist band, and in his broken english motioned for me to sign the waiver and that the wrist band would be for the entire weekend. I accepted gladly, then proceeded to the paddocks to park, and went directly back to the registration tent, but not before being met by enthusiastic folks.

There was an air of celebration of sorts, as only the Quebecers can provide. Corn Roast, Chien Chaud, chips, trash talk and lots and lots of happy folks. Some familar some not so familiar, but now friends bound by a common interest. Folks were there from early on, taking advantage of the Test and Tune, feeling out the surface of the track. Since the last time I was three, it looks like some areas were paved, the blackess was pronounced and looked very smooth.

Drag racing started around 8:00 pm, and the straits were used as a 1/8 mile drag, a bunch of muscle cars generating loud manly sounds coupled by lots of smoke from the burnout. From the stopwatch timging which Tashko and I were using, there were certainly a wide range of times being laid down by the folks that were there. Vechiles ranged from "drag snowmobile" to full out tubbed drag sedans.

Notable Notables: My car averaged 8.8L / 100 Km for the trip. STE class is going to be a blast, Pax for STE is .850 which will be a tough one to beat.

Looking forward to day 1 of the actual race. Andrew R will put his thoughts on this journal as well, he'll be leaving the sprawling cosmopolitan of Whitby around 1:00 am, poooooooor guy. Same with Trung.

AndrewR
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
I did leave whitby too early to tell. My body could not decide if it was still late, and it should go to sleep, or whether it was just really early and being awake was fine.

I had packed and gassed up the car the night before, so slipping behind the wheel and easing out of the driveway was easy.

It is astonishing how many cars are on the 401 at 1 am.

The drive was typical boring highway, with no slowdowns. So I arrived on time to ST Eustache.

The sight brought back memories of 3years ago, with the combination of a heavy dew, a light fog and dozens of occupied tents made me look forward to the weekends events even more.

I started slow, and removed 6 seconds from my time. Should be good for a class win:-)

DSS is a closely paf'd class, so I am going after DSS cars and pax.

More to come tomorrow after sleep, and crashing Joe's birthday celebration.

JoeT
08-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Day - 1

The Track: AISA, did a fantastic job in utilizing every square inch of the Autodrome St. Eustache. The day started out with course walks typical to the nature of the sport. The difference being it's the first time AISA has read the rulebook and as a credit to them did the best job they can do for the very first time enterpreting the finite requirements of course design etiquette as laid out by ASN Canada FIA (Based on CASC-OR rules).

Being that it was the first time running the event coupled with the stress of needing to maintain a tight schedule, suffice it to say that the organizers, keeping the best interest of the competitors in mind, did their best under the circumstances. Tempers flared slightly at the mention of needing to widen the gates to the approved 15 feet or 5 paces. 2 or 3 gates along the course were not within spec and the ASN folks promptly adjusted the course to comply with the specifications.

The course:
Hard laungh for 20 meters into a 45 degree left followed by a slight right into a kay right, into the top part of the autodrome oval, into a center gate, then a hard 90 degree right, which can be taken at speed if the entry was finessed correctly.

From there, it's shift into 3rd gear (04 sti tranny) foot to the floor to negotiate a 2 cone slalom followed by outside marked cones to a 45 degree right hander, which led to the dogleg. The speed of this segment was top of 3rd gear at redline.. Excellent flow and speed.

From there, it was a tight 2nd gear hard left into a 45 degree out at full throttle, shifting to 3rd gear as you make the right back onto the straight. Then it's off to a 2 cone slalom, with a double cone fake, a single slalom, then it's hugging the outside of the track just before you make that right hand turn into the carousel. This is where most of the time can be made if you committ and go for the gusto.

At the end of the carousel, it's a sweeping right hander into a slalom, through the bus-stop and a couple of swtch back gates, then you're almost home free as you slow down for a pivot cone in the slalom, and put the pedal to the metal to head towars the stop box.

FTD of the day was around 58 secons'ish with an A-Mod car with 2 HUGE multi vane wings in the front and rear of the car. Average times were in the 70 second range, with sufficienly quick times in the 65 second range.

Day 2 should be interesting, as we're supposed to run the course backwards.

Stay tuned.. We're all bagged, tired, dead and all of the above.

See y'all soon.

AndrewR
08-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Day 2 was a challenge, as much as Day 1. The course was run in opposite direction, with a few changes to make the course more interesting. Elevation changes on the track and a few walls of cones were a mental game. The course was much faster than it looked. You always had to trust that you could go faster than your eye thought you could. Eye said slow down brain said go faster, foot had a tough time deciding.

Track was faster than Saturday, quite flowing and technical in areas. Very open, so the pro's could maximize their mental advantage.

I managed much more sleep than the previous day, and much better prepared, with tire pressure tips, I set it and forget it all day. Concentrated on trying to use both feet on my gas pedal on the carousel, and not brake too much. Some areas were slow, so no time was to be found there, just the fast sections, like the slaloms.

Unlike the majority of our Ontario slaloms they would make you go left, right, left, and then a double right. More brain cells were needed by this old fart.

I was successful in mastering 3-4 of the sections, but not optimizing 1-2 every time. I need more runs :-)

All was not lost though, as I managed a class win, after scaring all the competition to not come. Under ASN's rules, no class bumping is allowed for the national event (although I heard it happened - Bad people) and I was under - prepared for the only other class I could have done, ST U/E . I have no engine mods, and there was serious competition in STE

If it was not a national, bumping would have been allowed, and the ASN ruleset goes ESS-> BSS. Based on the times in BSS, I would have won that class.

Fabulous weekend, Excellent organization from AISA/CADL and Carl Wener the winner, and the whole crew.

Everyone was very inviting, uber friendly, scenery was excellent, I learned loads and kept my car in one piece, unlike so many cars.

Memorable event:

Bill from StLac wins the bowling award, after launching a cone from under his car, and knocking over 3 cones in a row - STRIKE!

A-mod cars with ground effects make cones move without touching them

Tashko can spin and still put down a better time than his competitors

Joe can fit in a miata - just not well

elementZ
08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Sleep would be nice right about now. Getting up this morning was a bit tough.

I think the weekend was alright. I loved sundays course. I could have done that course all day. The car could have gone faster, but I could not. I could not beat that carousel on either day.

I am glad I made it back w/o too many issues. Just a small leak on a fitting of the trans cooler line. Not too bad imo.

The bowling strike would have been nice to see. And congrats to Barry! 11th in PAX after 2 days. That is awesome for street tires.

2 years is going to be a long wait for the next one.

SajBT36
08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks man, had a great weekend.

PAX was pretty stock friendly!

SajBT36
08-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I'll start off the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmG-rIISm6E

tashko
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
AndrewR wrote:

Tashko can spin and still put down a better time than his competitors

I may have taken some liberties with the course on the way to the stop box to avoid causing another red flag, which I didn't do when I had to slow for the marshal on course on my first re-run. I didn't very well in the driving department but at least finally learned to be more aggrressivve which will hopefully help at SCCA nats next month!

The Sunday course was fantastic but I could've done without the two aborted runs and my eventual half-spin.

I had a great time hanging out with everyone and the event had really good laid-back feel. Also, I think the corn at the bbq was awesome...but maybe I haven't had much to compare it to.

Barry did a great job. I was marshalling at the carousel and he was pushing the car. :tu:

It's only 6:30 and I'm ready for bed!! :-o

tashko
08-09-2010, 06:34 PM
lol, just watched your video Barry. You fell apart on the back half of the course by about 3 seconds!! :-P

Sir-knight
08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
that track STILL looks rough as hell o_o

SajBT36
08-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Lol I know, really screwed up on the back part.

I just wanted to go fast, didn't care much for that slow part. That's why I just drove past it the first time :)

JoeT
08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah, exhuberant speed and adrenaline = lack of braking when required. LOL

Great event, nice layout. Darn about my axle (repaired now), turns out my 1st run of the day on day 2 remained intact enough to stave off the attacking huns (S2000 Oktay). I usually do better on the 3rd run, but to no avail, since my car was ill at the time. Oh well, there's always 2012 somewhere in eastern Canada.

A little birdie tells me that it maybe close by, held at some airport. Hummmmm.

elementZ
08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I took a few shots this time around.

http://elementz.smugmug.com/Cars/CAC-2010-St-Eustache/13276706_5BarT#964487034_NF3Bv

nitrowsb
08-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Nice pictures!

Here's my axle break launch...I wasn't happy but oh well, put the DCCD into manual and lock the diff 50/50 and we're off!<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqFg6aAI4Qc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqFg6aAI4Qc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

tanney
08-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Here are Sonia's pictures from Day 1....

Pictures from Day 1, Saturday (http://www.tanneymotorsport.com/gallery2/v/CAC2010/)

http://www.tanneymotorsport.com/gallery2/v/CAC2010/

Day 2, Sunday, to follow shortly.