PDA

View Full Version : the trouble with a silly gasket...

Sir-knight
09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Here's a lengthy summary of my frustrations from the last month or so. Also. I have a tendancy to digress or ramble.

Anyone know of a site, or sites out there that list actual dimensions of gaskets(and exhaust parts) out there, I'm looking for OE and maybe aftermarket info...

What I'm trying to find is a donut gasket that has an ID of 2.53" and a height of .8" that looks more or less like a ring made of aluminum foil, not like steel wool. I have an old brullen exhaust that another owner said is 2 1/4" but the gaskets I've been using are all 2.5" go figure.

Whether or not the pipe is 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 at this point doesn't matter... I have a gasket that is just over 2 1/2" that fights tightly on a flange that needs replacing. Ordering the same part from walker 4 times gave me 2 different parts of similar measurements.. lol The first one fit perfect but I went off at shannonville and developed a leak... so I had to replace it. The next 3 replacements are junk. The first one fit snugly... the next 3 would not go on the pipe without a lot of force, The first one has an ID that varies from just over 2.5" to 2.53" measured with my digital caliper... one of the 3 I have that I ordered as extra is about .03" smaller in diameter... and this is the exact same part number.

So right now I'm trying to source a gasket that has the measurements described, and failing that, at least a gasket that has the same ID measurement.

plugging in the walker gasket part number in searches gets me a list of applications it's used for... but I can't seem to cross reference any other manufacturer (felpro and bosal) gaskets to verify the list to try a non walker gasket... so I have to try and find actual measurements.

So I may have myself a list of cars with pipes with matching ID, but not height, and I can't get all 3 manufactuers' listings to agree on size or even existence of an application for the part... and of course, felpro and bosal probably do make the same sized gasket... and knowing my luck, they will be the steel wool style that I got from walker that leaks.

I'm going to try going to the parts dept of a few dealers tomorrow with the gasket that worked to see if they can match it... I'm hoping this gasket came from a neon parts bin... cause the honda gaskets I've found are definitely not as tall, though the walker lookups say the part number I have fits those applications... even though the honda factory ones are 3/4 of the height.

So if I know the vibrant gasket is 2.53" and the good one I have was 2.53"... I need to find a site that lists the dimensions of these things to order the right gasket... and nobody seems to list measurements.

BLARG.

Cavemanrjc
09-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I just replaced one on my svx i still have one ill measure it tomorrow. manifold to front pipe position

Cavemanrjc
09-14-2010, 09:06 PM
not even close 2.133 sorry