PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Solosprint season review

wrxR176
09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Well the season is finally over and the results have been finalized. It was a great season for SPDA as we did what nobody thought was possible and that was win the club championship. HADA has been the top club for as long as I have been in the sport but SPDA fought strong this year and was able to maintain the lead it had all season.

As for our members we had a wide range of competitors in all different classes. I would like to go through each one that completed the minimum 6 events.

Ricardo H was new to the sport and his plan for the year was to come out to have fun and improve his driving skills. He did just that as at most of the events he would take off sometimes 15 seconds throughout the day. He finished 30th overall, 3rd in T2 and 6th in the Novice Championship.

Wes T came out this year for a test & tune for their new project, a small formula car. Unfortunately as they were getting the hang of the car a mechanical failure cause him to compete the rest of the season in a friends Civic. Wes finished 25th overall and 1st in Open Mod.

Gary W came out this year in his super modified RX8. Gary was much faster this year and i believe at a couple events he was in the top ten fastest. Gary finished in 21st overall and 3rd in SGT2.

Crispin H also made his debut to the sport this year after many years of TLMC autocrosses. Crispin improved immensely over the season as he made the transition from AutoX to Solosprint. Crispin finished 20th Overall, 4th in a super competative GT4 and also took home 3rd in the Novice championship.

Lloyd M was also a novice this year. From the first event you could tell he was after the novice title but would have to work hard for it. He managed to finish 19th overall, 2nd in GT2 and 2nd place novice.

Ujjwal V had the same plan as Lloyd this year and wanted the Novice title. He came out strong from day one and was there to prove he could drive. Unfortunately he was victim to a bad ruling that put his car a class up. That didnt stop him though as he took his car to a 16th Overall and the Novice title.

Frank E came out this year more as a pit crew for his daughter to make sure she was able to do her best. He is such a proud dad and has every reason to be. He even put himself up a class just so she could win her class although she would have won it anyway since she was faster this year. He did beat her by a few thousands at one event but that was it. Frank ended up in 14th overall with a T2 win.

Alexander M came out with winning on his mind. I have been in the car with this guy and let me tell you he likes to drive fast and can handle the speed too. He did scare me once mid corner 2 at MIR and i think we were both thinking the same thing "Dont do that again" Alexander finished 11th overall with a GT1 win.

Salmaan M also came out this year with winning as well. After his close T1 loss in 2009 he definately wanted to win it this year. Salmaan found out what alot of people have found out over the years and that is always bring extra rotors to the track especially TMP and he also learned to go slow when MIR is wet. Salmaan managed to get into the top ten with a 9th place overall and did get his T1 win by a huge point spread.

Katie E is by far one of the best drivers out there and is definately capable of winning the overall. I found out first hand her talent behind the wheel as i was at the timing computer watching the times. I got to see something i have never seen before. Katie turned a time of 89.970 for the first lap but then her next lap was 89.678. Then the amazement came as she turned another 89.678 back to back. If that is not consistant then i dont know what is. Katie had an amazing finish at 6th Overall and easily took the T3 win.

Chris P was on the hunt for his 7th overall win this year and was driving like he wanted it. As many of you know Chris and know he has amazing talent behind the wheel of any car. One of the best times i had on the track was in his vette at a battle endless lapping day after our event. He was passing everyone and finally got black flagged as they thought he was too dangerous. Funny thing is he was the best driver on the track. Chris finished in 2nd place overall with the SGT2 win. He was also the top Toyo finisher so will be enjoying his new rubber for next year. Chris has been known as the guy no one could beat. Well at least until this year. LOL

Paul M has been spending alot of time preparing his car to be able to compete with the top guys in the sport. He came very close in the 08 season and let Chris know that he does have some competition for the overall. Paul suffered many set backs in 09 with problem after problem and was unable to finish the season. This year was a different story as his car was working its best and never failed him all season.
Paul had one mission this year and that was to win the overall as he knew it would be his last chance. Paul and Chris were fighting all season sharing the wins back and forth and only being separated by a small point spread. The small point spread made it a close race and knew it would come down to the last event but in the end Paul ended up with the overall win and a SGT3 class win.

There were a couple of regular competitors that made every effort to complete the six events but mechanical failures prevented them from doing so. Both Alexei M and Walter B will be back next year with their cars ready for the 2011 season.

I would also like to thank the following members who came out to a few events and also helped us achieve our Club Championship win.

Scott M
Trung D
Todd P
Maxine P
Nick S
Serge G
Alexandra M
Yuri M
Gian Paulo S
David M
Douglas O
Terry W
Eli E
Micheal F
Robert V
Sal V
Jeff P

I will be back as your Solosprint rep for next year so please feel free to let me help you get ready for the 2011 season

Lloyd
09-15-2010, 10:57 PM
And thanks to you Paul. Personally I had tons of fun this year. The car worked better than I hoped. Can't wait for 2011.

Chris at a battle endless type track day sounds like tons of fun.

nissannx
09-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Paul,<br />Thank you for your support as the SPDA SoloSprint rep and also your tireless effort as the chief timer. The hours you put into each weekend to make it a success is amazing. This is an awesome write-up!<br /><br />Every dad is proud of their kids. I have two wonderful daughters, and for the last five years Katie and I have shared some wonderful times on the track. Last year I stated that Katie was a better driver than I - she just hadn't beaten me yet. Amazing to see this happen consistently this year. Based upon information from Chuck A., Katie is the first woman to be a CASC-OR SoloSprint Class Champion and the first woman in the top ten. If anyone has information otherwise, please let me (and Chuck) know.<br /><br />Thanks Paul. Thanks SPDA.

STeveD
09-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Great job, Paul, and everyone on this very significant achievement! What I like seeing is the broad range of cars in that mix.

Of course, with Paul winning the overall, the CCC will be back in the "PIP AWD" mentality again. ;-) Paul, I have no idea how you can focus on your driving when worrying about timing stuff. I know it's impossible for me as an organizer, and you do it at every single event. That takes incredible focus and mental discipline.

I also want to give a little extra thanks to Paul, Frank, Ivano, Nuwan, Maurizio, Andrew, Maxine, Trung, Rob Stone, Scott Murfin, and of course, Chuck. They've given a lot of behind-the-scenes support to the series and to the SPDA MIR event organization and execution so that those weekends go smoothly for everyone.

The SPDA-hosted MIR weekends are really helping to support the SoloSprint series financially the last couple of years of this economic downturn. The implementation of HST has also taken a fair bit of change from the series and is going to be a more significant effect next year. This club's members and volunteerism are an important part of keeping SoloSprint around and we on the Exec are all proud of your efforts.

Navigator
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Paul, thanks for your commitment to the sport and as a fantastic representative for SPDA. Your hard work and commitment along with great success really deserves recognition.

Well done to all SPDA team members. It makes the work that some of us as only volunteers do really well worth it.

Congrats.