PDA

View Full Version : Castrol SLX Pro 4718

LaszloT
10-07-2010, 04:17 PM
The Castrol Rep said this was the best they had, and gave me a free trial. It was developed for GM, but is fully synthetic :

www.slx4718.com

Any thoughts on how it stacks up against mainstream performance oils like Mobil 1?

JoeT
10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Best way to see how it stacks up is to send it out for oil analysis, then compare the components that makeup the oil. Knowing what we know about Mobil 1 in the zinc content alone, I'd never use Mobil 1 even for my lawnmower.

Lloyd
10-07-2010, 07:08 PM
I'd think you'd see that sort of zinc content in most API oils these days.

Castrol and "fully synthetic" can be a bit of a misnomer.

JoeT
10-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Actually Castrol Edge is real PAO Synthetic. Regular Castrol synthetic is cracked petroleum based oil. German Castrol is the same as Edge here.

Lloyd
10-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Any reason to use Edge over GC?

I don't put it in the Prelude (It's still a newish API oil), but for more modern engines I'll usually pick it up.

STeveD
10-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Lloyd wrote:
Any reason to use Edge over GC?

Longer drain intervals allegedly, plus warranty compliance, but otherwise, no. Stick with GC 0W30.

STeveD
10-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I found this on BITOG. Basically, the Zinc is typical fuel economy grade API SM. Decent level of detergent a really high TBN for a Castrol product. They kept Phosphorous really low which is kind of unusual for Castrol. 100 deg C Viscosity is lower _W30 grade and targeted at fuel economy. Not something you want to use in your turbo car at the track.

And I was wrong... this is NOT the new GM Dexos-1 standard. They may be giving this away to make room for a future new formulation that will meet GM's new standard. Or he just liked you. :-)

I couldn't find word on whether the base oils are Group III or PAO Group IV. So, based on what I've seen in viscosity drop with Castrol Syntec 5W40 and 5W50, I'd be hesitant to take it to a long drain interval without doing oil analysis at your "normal" interval.

5W30

Aluminum- 1
Chromium- 0
Iron- 2
Copper- 1
Lead- 0
Tin- 2
Moly- 88
Nickel- 0
Manganese-0
Silver- 0
Potassium-0
Boron- 45
Silicon- 4
Sodium- 1
Calcium- 2748
Magnesium-11
Phosph- 642
Zinc- 790
Barium- 0

SUS Visc. 210- 58.1
cST Visc. 100- 9.67
Flashpoint- 410
Insolubles- TR
TBN- 11.8

LaszloT
10-09-2010, 11:19 AM
What should I use in my Twin-cam Turbo auto at the track then, as I'm off to Calabogie on Oct 23rd, if I can get a set of replacement summer performance tires quickly?

STeveD
10-09-2010, 02:06 PM
At this time of year, I would recommend Amsoil DEO 5W40 for the high zinc and better film strength at track temperatures. You can use up the Castrol mid-winter after your track days are done, or in another vehicle.

If you want to look in other brands, it would be preferable to look for a Group IV or V synthetic 5W40 weight with zinc over 1100 (DEO is about 1350). Motul 300V is an excellent competitor to the DEO, but approximately twice the price and hard to source.

Do you still have warranty? If so, you'll also be looking for API SM or SN certification.

You're going to want to run a quality high flow oil filter, and keep your oil topped up before every session to about 5mm above the top mark. Bring lots of top up oil if you aren't used to how much you consume there.

Someone else can chime in on the availability of 94 octane at Calabogie... last I heard it was close by. I can loan you some 20L jerry cans to get you through the day. Arriving with a full tank plus 60L in jerry cans should be enough to get you through the day while you learn the track on street tires. If you don't get confirmation on nearby 94 octane, bring some octane boost with you.

Octane boost is optional for the track. Some people use it religiously with 94 octane as insurance against knock if you happen to get a bad tank of gas, Some of us bring and blend in race gas to Sunoco 94. Some of us do neither. It's a personal preference thing.

I don't own an '08 but from the reports from members here, you're probably not going to want to risk a ring land failure. The probability of which will increase exponentially with knock.

LaszloT
10-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Ok, how do I get myself some of that fabulous Amsoil DEO 5W40?
My friend from Ottawa who ran at Targa goes to Calabogie regularly, so he'll know about fuel. I'd go with Sunoco/Petro's 94 if close, otherwise I'll use an octane boost for insurance.
Thanks for your excellent thoughts, comments and suggestions,

STeveD
10-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm sending you a quote, Laszlo. Give me a call if you don't get your work Emails on weekends. 416-823-7991

LaszloT
10-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Work E-mail is my Blackberry, so I get them - lucky me, lol.

LaszloT
10-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Here's the reply from Castrol's top guy, and clearly he's a chemist too, lol :

"Thanks for your note and the feedback.

Some good comments which are all valid. ZDP’s (zincdialkyldithiophosphates) are the industry standard and are known for their great anti-wear properties. The only issue is that phosphorus deactivates the catalyst in the converter, which as you might expect, impacts tailpipe emissions negatively. Not an issue for racing, but you need to be aware of that.

Castrol Edge is also a very good choice.

David"

Like I said, I like these Castrol guys!

STeveD
10-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Yes, this goes back to the 2004 and previous SL standard where higher Zinc levels were allowed. SL was the standard recommended for my car. SM is supposed to supercede SL in all regards, but I don't think that turbo protection was one of them. They knew then that phosphorous degraded cats back in the 80's, but didn't change until the EPA made them change. Why? Better engine protection at reasonable cost.

STeveD
10-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes, this goes back to the 2004 and previous SL standard where higher Zinc levels were allowed. SL was the standard recommended for my car. SM is supposed to supercede SL in all regards, but I don't think that turbo protection was one of them. They knew then that phosphorous degraded cats back in the 80's, but didn't change until the EPA made them change. Why? Better engine protection at reasonable cost.