PDA

View Full Version : What's a Better Tire; Proxies T1R or Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec?

LaszloT
10-09-2010, 04:03 PM
245/40ZR18 for street and the occaisional track event - 7 annually.

JoeT
10-11-2010, 05:47 PM
T1R is a good all around street performance tire that's intended for general consumption. Not a good comparison against the Star Spec.

The R1R is the competitor to the other ultra high performance dual purpose tires, it's one of the so called "cheater tires" that's equally as happy on the track as on the street.

On a personal note, I've been using my R1R's for daily driving, plus the ATTS plus the Ontario Regional series and they are still not at the wear bars. I'd say it's a really durable tire that's grippy but not as grippy as real R comps.

For the discounts we get along with the coupons, I'd strongly recommend the R1R, but it's hard to beat the bargain basement price of the star specs.

LaszloT
10-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Joe,
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll get R1R's one day as a track set only, given their cold-weather warnings.

The Direzza Star Spec's are even higher performance than the OEM Dunlop SP Sport 600's, but would you know why Dunlop is pricing the Star Spec's cheaper ($199 per) than the SP Sport 600's at $233 per tire?

STeveD
10-11-2010, 09:06 PM
OE fitment is more money because people blindly replace them with what they had. :-)

I've driven an '04 STi on the Star Specs at Mosport GP track and they didn't feel like full tread depth street tires. Very competent tire!

Check your front outer camber wear. You may need more front camber. If so, do the second set of camber bolts thing, I say.

nissannx
10-12-2010, 06:47 AM
When I was comparing the Star Spec earlier this year I found two tread wear ratings for the tire - same name. Obviously, two very different prices also. I'm not sure if that's still the same, but the 140 rated tire was quite expensive.

SajBT36
10-12-2010, 12:18 PM
I've been very happy with the used set of Starspecs I got. I think you'll find the SP600's to be not even close to the same league. Big on grip and consistency (once they warm up a bit).

However, I would love to run a set of R1R's in ST2 next year. Especially since they make that 245/35/17 size. Mmmmm, autocrosstastic...

FWIW Frank, my 225/45/17 Starspecs are 200 wear rating.

I don't reckon the Starspecs would hold up in the cold either Laz. I'll be sticking my winters on earlier this year.

LaszloT
10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Where do you find USED tires that high performance?

SajBT36
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Luck really. Found these on Toronto Subaru Club forums.