PDA

View Full Version : Any Fans of Kumho's Ecsta XS?

LaszloT
10-12-2010, 10:56 PM
I'd prefer Direzza Star Spec's but these Kumho's have similar performance and are more cost-effective.

I'm looking for value too, and will need to use them as my summer daily driver, with the occasional visit to the track for a lapping day.

JoeT
10-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Kumho XS are a fantastic tire, and very cost effective. As a tire, the bang for the buck is really really good, as a company, they SUCK royally.

Henry Ho was the marketing rep for Kumho, lots of promises made and zero follow up. Kumho V710's are great tires, but when it came to a defect issue, it was completely ignored by Kumho which resulted in a LOT of people getting shafted. I personally will never buy another Kumho Tire ever again.

Falken also makes the RT615 tire which is in similar league, or you can also consider the General Exclaim UHP, though it says all season, they can't be used extreme cold or ice. They do perform really well for this level of tire.

http://www.generaltire.com/images/tires_app/1206712682exclaimUHPfront.jpg

Typical price for the 225-45-17 is only $149.00 / tire, and they can do dual duty or 179.00 / tire for the 245-40-17 size.

note: The Dunlop Direza DZ101 is also in the $179.00 / tire price range.

Talon tire has these posted and we get an additional discount, plus we get talon tire coupons (to be handed out at the AGM) really soon.

Lloyd
10-13-2010, 05:52 PM
The last issue of GRM (or two issues ago?) compared these two tires.

I'd pick the Dunlop for street duty, and the Kuhmo only if your focus is on hot dry grip. The XS will give you more of that, but the Dunlop will do better when cold and much, much, much better in the wet, without giving up too much in the dry.